Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Thanks for the replies, I ordered a couple of bottles today.

If I am wearing treated clothing (including gloves), hammock, and tarp, do you think I could get away with wearing a treated one of those head nets instead of a full bugnet?

It is in the Sierra Nevadas and we were riddled with mosquitos last year.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't think I'd like something stuck to my head especially when trying to sleep. Personally I think a full net would be better. ymmv.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'll find out how good this stuff is this weekend. Treated my hammock, pants, overshirt, hat, and socks with permethrin last week. Treated youngest son's hammock, pants, and overshirt as well. He usually wears a buff and didn't want socks done. Oldest son will also be camping with us this weekend, and none of his gear has been treated. (can you say, test control subject? )

Usually I come back with 4-5 ticks on me. We'll see what the difference looks like this year.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    (can you say, test control subject? )
    Good idea. I often try to bring a little science into each and every outing. And my kids always enjoy it more when they feel like they are a part of the science experiment.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieCash View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I ordered a couple of bottles today.

If I am wearing treated clothing (including gloves), hammock, and tarp, do you think I could get away with wearing a treated one of those head nets instead of a full bugnet?

It is in the Sierra Nevadas and we were riddled with mosquitos last year.
    It is something worth experimenting with. I have done it twice now, without even the gloves or headnet. But, I also used Picaridin 20% on exposed skin. I love that stuff, very pleasant and seems to work, and you can even spray it on your clothes if you want a let extra oomph. I think I did on my hat. I did not have piece of mind at an ID lake, because the mossies had really been swarming. But both times I have done it I got away with it all night, never even heard the wine of a mossie using Pic and Perm together. What a team!

Of course you could also use Deet for exposed skin if it doesn't bother you much, along with Perm clothing. But I much prefer the Picaridin.

A simple experiment should tell you. Day hike to the buggiest place you know, at a buggy time of day if it matters, with treated clothing and either the head net or some Picaridin on exposed ski. In fact, if your socks/pants/shirt and sun hat are all treated ( oh, and your pack and maybe your hammock), just for fun don't put Picaridin on, just have it very handy. Now sit or hang a spell. See what happens.

The clothing may get the job done, but if it is really buggy you will probably need a little Picaridin on your face or hair (if no hat ) and a few other exposed spots. And just for fun, take a buddy for a control. Let the buddy use DEET alone, no Permethrin.

If the bugs leave you alone as you sit/hang a couple of hours in a spot you know to be really buggy, even as they swarm your buddy ( but don't bite because of his deet), then you may have a system that needs no bug net. ( they used to swarm me all the time no matter how much DEET I put on, always whining in my ears- I never even hear them with the Perm/Pic combo)

You know, really I have much more experience than 2 nights of no net sleeping in bug season. I should count my day hikes. I am very often hanging and reading/killing time/testing right next to a MS swamp, even in warm weather. I almost never have a net either on the hammock or my head. I have done this on and off for a couple of years. As far as I can tell, all the bugs have moved away from that area.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I've never done it with the head net; however, every time I've seen that touted, it's been with the advice to wear a baseball cap underneath the netting. Supposedly, it helps to keep the netting out of your face while you sleep.

YMMV.

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Works for skeeters, and Ticks. Does it work & kill Bed Bugs? case my hotel visit picks one or two up.. Dang things are just Ticks with faster legs.
    flea's, I assume it works for them too??..

All my gear, is now treated with the spray.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug View Post
    Works for skeeters, and Ticks. Does it work & kill Bed Bugs? case my hotel visit picks one or two up.. Dang things are just Ticks with faster legs.
    flea's, I assume it works for them too??..

All my gear, is now treated with the spray.
    Permethrin is a broad-spectrum insecticide. It should deal with anything that contacts the treated clothing.

From the EPA's "Red Sheet" on Permethrin...

Uses
    Permethrin is registered for use on/in numerous food/feed crops, livestock and livestock housing, modes of transportation, structures, buildings (including food handling establishments), Public Health Mosquito abatement programs, and numerous residential use sites including use in outdoor and indoor spaces, pets, and clothing (impregnated and ready to use formulations).

According to Agency data, approximately 2 million pounds of permethrin are applied annually to agricultural, residential and public health uses sites. The majority of permethrin, over 70%, is used in non-agricultural settings; 55% is applied by professionals, 41% is applied by homeowners on residential areas, and 4% is applied on mosquito abatement areas.

Permethrin is a restricted use pesticide for crop and wide area applications (i.e., nurseries, sod farms) due to high toxicity to aquatic organisms, except for wide area mosquito adulticide use. It is a general use pesticide for residential and industrial applications.

Permethrin also has non-FIFRA pharmaceutical uses as a pediculicide for the treatment of head lice and scabies. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves use of the pesticide-containing pharmaceutical under FFDCA.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY HyperD Ripstop
    Tarp
    Silpoly 12' Hex
    Insulation
    LLG 30 Deg PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok, you guys definitely have me sold on this stuff. Are the treatments really effective for up to 6 washings/6 weeks like the company claims?

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    dang, Thanx for that Fact sheet on It's use.. Good stuff, looks like I shall be buying more soon. :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast