Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab

Permethrin... Is it as good as they say?

Like... good enough to treat your hammock, underquilt, and tarp and wear a treated head net without waking up looking like a victim of smallpox?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm a huge believer of Permethrin. First time I used it was on a hike in Arkansas in the middle of tick season, and I was skeptical. Walked through a patch of high weeds, and when I got out I watched half a dozen ticks crawling up my pantlegs literally die within seconds. They'd make it three or four inches along the permethrin treated fabric before they died. It works.

I have seen them jump off of pants treated with it. My brother and I were fishing and we found a tick crawling on the tacklebox. So he lifted it up with his knife blade and set it on the knee of his pants. It took a few steps and literally could not get off the pants fast enough. It jumped and rolled and fell off. After that, I was sold on it.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    In my opinion, I think treating your gear such as UQ and tarp is overkill when you have a bugnet. However, I do treat all of my hiking clothes and it works fantastic. I would highly recommend applying it as it helped me a lot last year. If only they made a mute button for all the buzzing those skeeters make. lol

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The stuff definitely works. Don't leave home without it!
    Even when it's too cool for mosquitoes and the like, ticks are still out there hunting.
    All my hiking clothes are soaked in it.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HHUL Explorer Asym.
    Tarp
    I dunno, came w HH
    Insulation
    HHSS & OC
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I've always heard very good reviews about it, but please remember, until it is completely dry, keep your pets, especially cats away!!!!! Extremely neurologically toxic to cats!!!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Yes. Yes, it does.

During this past week, I did the G3 hang. During the run-up to the hang, I spent about seven and an half to eight hours out at the Longleaf Flatwoods Reserve with non-Permethrined clothes on. During that time, I found five ticks on my legs--one of them underneath my clothing.

I went home on Thursday and got some Permethrin. I treated my hiking clothes (shorts, shirt, underwear, and sandals). I then spent seventy-two hours out in the same area. I added DEET to my legs in the morning, but often forgot to do so during the afternoon (and sweating in 90+ degree heat). During those seventy-two hours, I found two--count 'em, two ticks on my legs, none of them underneath my clothing.

That's how much difference it makes. From 5/8 ticks per hour to 1/36 ticks per hour. An huge difference. And, if I'd been wearing long pants and shoes with socks, I don't think I'd've had any at all on me.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bummer72 View Post
    I've always heard very good reviews about it, but please remember, until it is completely dry, keep your pets, especially cats away!!!!! Extremely neurologically toxic to cats!!!
    Yes, but only while wet. I keep my three cats away from my stuff while it's drying. Once it's dry, they romp around. None of 'em is any more neurotic than when I first started using the stuff.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Grandpa used to spray down toilet paper roll tubes stuffed with Permethrin soaked TP. Mice would use it for bedding and it would kill the ticks. For an old guy, he was smart...
    Not a single mouse died as a result of Permethrin, they got the traps instead...

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'd be surprised that a tick would die in seconds coming into contact with permethrin. I put a tick on my hat that had been sprayed well and it didn't die even within minutes. Before I had started wearing gators but after I was treating my clothing with permethrin a tick had gone up my pant leg and managed to bite me but later die still dug into me. Since then I never hike without my gators or at least have my pant legs tucked into my socks. It surprises me how many people I see on the trail that don't do this. They're just asking for ticks and as I found...permethrin or not if you give them an opening they'll take it even if they end up dying after biting you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast