Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Problem with Burrow snap

Hope I'm posting this in the proper place. Maybe the DIY section is more appropriate.

I'm having an issue with one of the snaps on my burrow topquilt. A metal piece separated from the fabric, and I can't figure out how to reattach it. In it's present state, it's completely nonfunctional. I've got a few pics; it's the one in the corner of the quilt:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2379/p1010801qt.jpg
    http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1118/p1010800z.jpg

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can fix it? I've been using it almost every weekend, and would hate to do without it for a few weeks to return it to Hammock Gear.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    From the pics, it appears the post is still stuck in the socket.

Local fabric store or Wal mart should have a snap kit cheap . They will be cheap snaps but should get you through the season.

Use pliers and a flat head screw driver to separate the broken snap and put in a new post side if it matches or replace both post side and socket side of it doesn't.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    My snaps were super hard to get undone too.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Help with snaps

When I played football in high school the snaps on our helmets used to break from getting moist and rusting shut. We used Vaseline to lube the snaps up. It doesn't take a lot to coat them but be careful using it in warm weather because heat will liquefy it and it will get on the TQ.

Images
    Thanks for the suggestions. Now that I have a little terminology, I can discuss the problem a little better.

If I understand correctly, the snap is made up of four pieces of metal, correct? Two of the pieces mate with with fabric in between and form the post side, and two other pieces mate with fabric in between and form the socket side.

If I can separate the post from the socket, can I re-mate it again with it's match on the other side of the fabric? Do I use a pliers and just crimp them together?

Or, do I need to replace both pieces of metal to make a replacement post, assuming it will attach with the socket? If this is the case, how do I go about connecting the two pieces together with the fabric in between? Is there a special tool to use?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    When Adam attaches the snaps I believe he uses some sort of press but don't quote me on that. As for replacing the snaps, well this is why I am a big fan of sewn foot boxes however HYOH YMMV. I own 4 Burrows all with sewn foot boxes and they all work magnificently without any problems. However HYOH some people swear by snaps others by sewn so it totally comes down to preference. Anyways if it was me I would do one of three things.

1. Send it back to Adam and Jenny and ask for a sewn foot box mod.

2. Send it back to Adam and Jenny to replace the snap.

3. Contact Adam and Jenny and ask them to send you a matching snap so that you could replace it yourself if you have the DIY skills to do so.

Me personally, I don't trust my self enough to bring a pair of pliers and or screw driver any where close to my Burrows. I know something would go wrong cause things like that always happen to me, I am that person :0). The last thing IMHO you or anyone else to happen would be to accidentally rip the snap out of the fabric causing it to tear the fabric. The snap is punched/pushed in through the fabric and I would think if it is not removed carefully then the holes circumference may increase which would then prevent you from replacing the snap in the same location. But regardless I would contact them and I am sure they would be more then willing to help you out in this repair. Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by equiquay View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Now that I have a little terminology, I can discuss the problem a little better.

If I understand correctly, the snap is made up of four pieces of metal, correct? Two of the pieces mate with with fabric in between and form the post side, and two other pieces mate with fabric in between and form the socket side.

If I can separate the post from the socket, can I re-mate it again with it's match on the other side of the fabric? Do I use a pliers and just crimp them together?

Or, do I need to replace both pieces of metal to make a replacement post, assuming it will attach with the socket? If this is the case, how do I go about connecting the two pieces together with the fabric in between? Is there a special tool to use?

Yep. 4 pcs. 1.Cap (or button), 2.socket, 3. post (or stud), 4. eyelet (or base)
    Cap goes with the socket usually.
    Post goes with the eyelet usually

Don't judge a broken snap as a quality problem. I use expensive snaps that cost over $1.00 per snap, all 4 pieces, in marine canvas, and occasionally, one will fail because it was not pressed exactly correct, a bad base or cap piece, or operator error in the case of "pull the dot" fasteners.

There are special tools required for some snaps, but you can use a snap "anvil" very similar to a grommet anvil that comes in a grommet kit. This tool is perfectly fine for what you need to do. Very likely, you will be able to buy a kit with the all 4 parts of the snaps and the "anvil"/tool in a kit for about $5-10.

As far as replacing both sides, all 4 pieces, it depends on if you can find a snap that matches or not. you definitely have to replace the broken half.

Replacing a snap is easy. It will take way more effort getting the old one off than popping a new one in. By more effort, I mean 30 seconds of prying. Basically, you still have to unsnap the broken one. It's appears to be still snapped. That's the reason for the pliers and screwdriver.

If you're not comfortable doing it, find a local alterations shop or upholstery shop and they can do it for you cheaper than 1 way shipping of the quilt.
    Last edited by nacra533; 04-29-2012 at 21:59. Reason: Half snap

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Unlike nacra533 I have never had any luck trying to use a snap anvil to fix those kinds of snaps. Commercially they use a hydraulic or pneumatic press to set them. Similar to a bottle jack operated press.

The snaps may indeed be a quality problem from the snap factory, but most certainly and absolutely NOT a problem with Adam's shop. Those kinds of snaps are stamped out by the bazillions at the factory. They look fine to Adam and his ilk until they fail. But it's nothing to hold against Hammock Gear.

Personally I would contact Adam and ask what he thought was the best way to proceed. It may be finding a local awning shop would be the cheapest and fastest way to proceed. But I personally would not go out and buy a snap kit to do it myself. I've just never found a heavy duty enough tool from a normal retail source.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 04-29-2012 at 22:31.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You can use a pair of snap pliers to re-attach it. However, I use a philips head screw driver and a center punch to do mine because I'm too cheap to buy the pliers.

I would suggest asking them to mail you a button set so you can just do it yourself, it's really easy. If you have any questions I'm sure I can procrastinate from work for a couple minutes tomorrow and make a quick vid on how to do it.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    You can use a pair of snap pliers to re-attach it. However, I use a philips head screw driver and a center punch to do mine because I'm too cheap to buy the pliers.

I would suggest asking them to mail you a button set so you can just do it yourself, it's really easy. If you have any questions I'm sure I can procrastinate from work for a couple minutes tomorrow and make a quick vid on how to do it.

Fronkey
    I've not been able to get good results with those either. Just a little ray of sunshine here. They work great for lightweight snaps but those look heavier duty to me.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast