Page 300 of 320 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302310 ... LastLast
Results 2,991 to 3,000 of 3191
    I was able to get my Turtle Dog Stand done yesterday. Really impressed with its simplicity and its versatility. I am not a small man 210lbs or so. My 8 foot tripods and my 14 foot, 3 piece Ridgepole, barely move, when I exit or enter, the hammock. Completely surprised me with how much weight/stress, the setup absorbs. I make sure that the suspension is all lined up vertical, so that the legs carry the weight, centered.

I was going to place a sleeve over each joint ( two in total, for my 3 piece, 14 foot Ridgepole ), but as mentioned above, nothing moved laterally or vertically, when the system is loaded/unloaded. To keep it simple, as an added measure, I think I may just duct tape each joint, when I use it. Ill bend over a side of the tape as I apply it, so that I can easily strip the tape off, when I break the stand down.

To protect my suspension straps, I took an old bike inner tube and cut a slit in the center. I then slip this over the eye bolt and down onto the base. I then slip my strap onto the protected base.

I also will make two " Storm Mode " straps. Ill make a webbing loop about 1. 5 feet in diameter. I will but a carabiner onto it. If I have to deploy in "Storm Mode ", Ill put the strap onto the existing system, below the hinge. This will lower my Ridgepole from its current height, of about 7 feet, down to about 5 - 6 feet. That is the perfect height to deploy my tarp, so that the sides, hug the ground.

I wanted to thank everyone here who answered my questions. I also enjoyed reading and learning, from each of the almost 3000 threads. Thank you all.

Sorry, I am a computer illiterate so no pics.

Be safe.

Bob
    Last edited by Draketake; 04-03-2018 at 11:43.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet mamajamb
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie X
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What a great thread!

Question for everyone. The WBBB XLC is more comfortable for me when I hang the foot end about 12" higher than the head end. I'm looking for ideas how to make this work on these stands.

The one thing I know I don't want to do is have the pole at an angle. Although dip cords help, I have found that rain collects and runs down the pipe.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewar View Post
    ...The WBBB XLC is more comfortable for me when I hang the foot end about 12" higher than the head end. I'm looking for ideas how to make this work on these stands...
    Pretty basic...shorten the foot end suspension and lengthen the head end suspension.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet mamajamb
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie X
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    So hang your tarp under the ridge pole.

--
    Gadget
    I thought about that, but it's going to be very difficult to get a tight ridge line when the anchor is above the pole. Am I missing something?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet mamajamb
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie X
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Pretty basic...shorten the foot end suspension and lengthen the head end suspension.
    I tried this and it helped some, but given I have a WBB XLC and 13.5 ft ridge pole, there isn't a ton of adjust ability in the suspension. I will play with it though

Images
    it's going to be very difficult to get a tight ridge line when the anchor is above the pole
    Attaching to anything other than the ridgepole makes the tripods less stable. Attach the tarp to the same place as you attach your hammock suspension.

Stevewar,

What Gadget said works well. Everything needs to pull straight down off the anchor point, or the tripod collapses.

I was able to find some threaded nut caps that I put onto the bottom of my threaded eyebolt. You can then suspend your tarp ridgeline off this. The cap acts as a stop, for the cordage used to tie off the tarp ridgeline.

I also saw in this thread, where someone was able to create two eyebolts, one on top for the ridgepole and one underneath the ridgepole. They then tied the tarp off directly to the eyebolt under the ridgeline. I couldnt figure out how to do this so just did the above mod.

However you do it, the tarp has to be underneath the ridgepole to stay dry. Water follows the the top of the tripod, to the anchors, to the ridgepole and drips off from there.

Let us know how you worked it out.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I tried this and it helped some, but given I have a WBB XLC and 13.5 ft ridge pole, there isn't a ton of adjust ability in the suspension. I will play with it though
    Longer hammocks plus 'higher foot end' setups require longer ridgepoles and taller tripods. Build your stand to fit your hammock/setup of choice.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Longer hammocks plus 'higher foot end' setups require longer ridgepoles and taller tripods. Build your stand to fit your hammock/setup of choice.
    What he said (Post #3000!)
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

• + New Posts
  • Page 300 of 320 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302310 ... LastLast