Page 314 of 320 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 3191
    So the tarp over the metal ridgepole isn't an issue? I mean, a chance of tearing at the metal joint or potential drip issue working back down the pole from the ends?
    I apologize if it's a silly question, I'm so new to hanging I don't even know what to ask! Thanks.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimejeep View Post
    So the tarp over the metal ridgepole isn't an issue? I mean, a chance of tearing at the metal joint or potential drip issue working back down the pole from the ends?
    I apologize if it's a silly question, I'm so new to hanging I don't even know what to ask! Thanks.
    For backyard use when I expect rain, I throw a cheap blue tarp over the ridge pole. When rain is unlikely but possible, I hang my Tadpole under the ridge pole, tying the ends out to the same biners my hammock is hanging from. It stays in a mesh sleeve until/unless needed.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimejeep View Post
    My tarp for my Turtle Dog Stand has LineLoc 3’s attached to the tarp ends.
    I insert “S” hooks in the ends of the top rail and then 2.5mm line to the LineLok’s
    All this goes under the top rail which is 13’ long.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

I'm brand new to both hammocking and DIY. Like, I still haven't done either, but I want to try sleeping indoors full-time in a hammock for health reasons. Can't put holes in the walls, and I decided the Turtledog is my best option. I've gone through this entire thread to educate myself.

I just have a few minor questions now.

1) I'm intimidated by the idea of drilling through metal. But what would be harder and/or riskier? Quickly learning to tie reliable knots, or drilling through a fence top rail (on my flimsy desk in my apartment)?

It seems like people also end up needing to widen the holes in the hinges, so maybe I can't avoid drilling metal. I have a $20 corded drill labeled "5-Amp, 3/8 Inch" and "Variable Speed: 0-3000 RPM." I don't think you can change the torque. Whatever that is. Or I guess... is there hardware I should look for that will fit together without needing to widen the holes? After 3133 posts, I've forgotten some of the stuff I may have already read.

2) If knots are going to be easier for me than drilling metal, what do you think would be the easiest and best ones for me to use for ridgepole and hammock suspension? Prusik? Bonus if you have links to photos of recommended knot(s) in use on a Turtledog!

3) What knot is good for tying the spread limiters?

4) I want to get an 11' Brazilian hammock. I was going to start with 7' tripod legs. Is 13' about right for the ridgepole for optimal laying flat comfort?

Thank you!! and apologies if needed, cuz you're probably way beyond where I am, and I might be tripping up on the wrong stuff, but if you can spare some time to help me, I'd truly appreciate it.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Wild Flower, My build is on page 162 post #1615
    2 pictures post #1618
    No need to use your “flimsy table” to drill. Lay one of your 2” tripod legs on the floor and then lay the ridge pole on that at a right angle to drill holes, just make sure you stop RIGHT after drill bit exits pole, or put another piece of wood under the position you are going to drill. As far as having to drill the holes on the hinges, it all depends which hinge you buy and which shackle. The only holes you might need to enlarge are where you are going to insert the shackle, not the holes needed to attach the hinge to the tripod legs.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Wild Flower, welcome ot the forum and congratulations on your bravery for considering a DIY stand. Know that you could make the whole thing using wood (2 x2’s) and lashing to tie the suports together. The knot that hold/anchors the lashing is often a clove hitch or weaver’s knot. I’m not recommending or not not recommending that consturction - just putting it out as a possibility. Pretty much any book (library) or video stream on knots will have an example of what’s needed to connect three poles together.

Now that I think about it - though the “stand” could be made of completely out of wood, the top rail - what the hammock attaches to - is usually metal. Often it is called Top Fence Rail - the “pipe” at the top of a wire fence. They usually come in 10 ft lengths for about $10.00. You’d need two and cut one back.

You may get by with shorter than 7 ft legs but wait until the unit is together in order to see what might be excessive.

Remember that you’ll want some line/tether/keeper around the legs to limit their spread.

And I don’t want to discourage your DIY leanings at all - but if you are looking for a Brazilian hammock for lounging in the afternoon - a worthy activity - often, especially at the end of summer, stores highly discount their ready-made models. They come with a stand that snaps together and packs down small when put away. They have a bed - often with two chains at each end (four connection points) that attach to the frame.

The downside is those “afternoon lounging hammocks” are left out all day, every day, and the sunlight/UV does damage to the bed material so it only lasts a year or two. But it can be replaced. You could keep the stand assembled and just keep the bed material out of the sun when not in use. I don’t mean if you are going to be out of the hammock for a couple of hours. I mean if you wouldn’t be using it for a few days.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thank you 1-hung-low and cougarmeat!!!

I may have asked too many questions in my post, as it seems like my main concerns might have been inadvertantly missed. I know how hard it is to read a bunch of text. Not sure I can do any better this time, but...

I'm building this for indoor, nightly sleep use. I thought it would be straightforward to use hppyfngy's method of eyebolts and other metalware for the ridgepole suspension, and not ropes/knots. But I've never drilled through metal (or anything, really) and I'm scared to do it. I don't know how hard it is to do, how dangerous, or how many extra supplies I need. Clamps, vises, guides, files, stronger drill bits, etc? Not even sure I have the right drill. (I based these ideas on a YT video I found of a guy drilling through EMT conduit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XX907nf2bs)

Keeping in mind, again, I've never drilled through metal so... I have zero confidence in just putting a drill to pipe and hoping metal of various weights and sharpnesses don't start flying around and causing grievous injury. BUT AM I OVERCOMPLICATING IT???

However, I'm also leery of learning and relying on knots for the suspension, and now I'm going back through all 3000+ posts to find pics of people who suspended their hammocks and rails with knots, to see if I can copy their method. I'm 1/3 through and not finding many photos. A lot of people used the pot metal end caps and I want to avoid that.

The ready-made stands won't work, from what I've researched. They're too vertically short to get the right hang with a Brazilian hammock.

And, one more time: What is a good knot for the spread limiters? I know nothing of knots. Will a regular old double-knot do?

Why go to all the trouble? It's a long story but I don't feel I have any other choice at this point.

THX AGAIN!
    Last edited by Wild Flower; 08-16-2020 at 14:58.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Wild Flower,
    To answer your original questions
    1 use a center punch to make a small indention in the metal so the drill bit will remain centered and not wander. I already covered the flimsy table. Your drill is fine, use a standard drill bit, nothing fancy is needed. Slow and steady with moderate pressure.
    2 If you don’t want to drill, you could use a continuous loop from the hinge/shackle to the ridge pole and let it hang from the CL with no knots required.
    3 Any knot will work for the spread limiting line: square, granny, buntline hitch, half hitch. The line isn’t supporting any weight, merely stopping the legs of the tripods from splaying out which would cause the TDS to collapse. Measure up 24” from the bottom, arrange spread 48” from each other and tie it off. I elected to drill holes in the 2 x 2’s and thread the line through. You can also notch each leg at the 24” mark line on all 4 corners (to keep the line in place) wrap the the line around each leg, adjust for the 48” spread and tie the line together
    4 Sounds about right.
    As for hanging the hammock on the ridge pole, I have CL’s attached to tree straps hanging from the end of the pole. The Eye hook in the pole keeps the suspension in place.

Many many thanks, 1-Hung-Low. That was very kind of you to go back through and answer my original questions, and your reply is super helpful. I feel a little bad posting my amateur questions in this thread, but it seemed the most direct path to try and seek answers, and I would have taken it down if anyone complained. Hopefully it will help someone else at some point, too.

Now... your last sentence, when you say "The Eye hook in the pole keeps the suspension in place," that requires a hole in the pole, then, correct? I guess I'm back to needing to drill! I'm just gonna have to psych myself up to do it. I know I'll feel better knowing I did it all myself. I also have other DIY projects I dream of, and maybe this will get my feet wet. It's just a big leap from where I am currently!

I guess though I've seen people mention shelf liner or bike inner tube to prevent slippage, I'm just not sure of the configuration--does it go under the loops of the rope? next to it?, and it's one more thing to try and decipher (when I've already got enough of a learning curve.)

Edit, to illustrate my last question: I saw that samsara did this (but ultimately with the carabiner clipped just to the leftmost loop.) Would the bike tube/shelf liner go under the loops of the rope and against the pole, or to the Left/Right of all the rope? 14713.jpg
    Last edited by Wild Flower; 08-16-2020 at 15:40.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Wild Flower,
    New question: Eye bolt requires a hole in the pole, yes, that is correct. Drilling a hole in metal is the same a drilling a hole in wood. Just a little more resistance and no more unsafe. You could slip while drilling a hole in a piece of wood as you could in a piece of metal. Speaking of that, place the hinge on the 2 x 2’s where you want it, use a sharpie to make a circle ⚪ in the hinge hole while on the board and drill a “pilot hole” with a drill bit smaller than the diameter of the screw you will be using to attach the hinge.
    If you revisit my post when I built mine and look at the pictures, you will get a better idea as to how the eye bolts are used. There are so many different styles that people use to hang the top rail, hang the hammock from the top rail on and on. Just choose one and if it doesn’t work for you, try something different. I would advise not to hang off the “end caps” that some like to do. It looks simple enough but those parts are made from “pot metal” and can break at any time dropping you to the ground. Ideally, you want the hang point directly under each tripod and the eye bolt style does just that. I’m not a fan of lashing a carabiner to the top rail. Hopefully someone who lives near you see’s this can lend a hand.
    Don’t feel bad or apologize for your questions, as EVERYONE here has started from zero and the whole purpose of this web site is to share knowledge and help others,
    Good luck with your project
    Last edited by 1-Hung-Low; 08-16-2020 at 17:46. Reason: Correction

• + New Posts
  • Page 314 of 320 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316 ... LastLast