Page 317 of 320 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 3191
    Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    I ended up just tying off to the end caps... I know its not ideal but seems pretty darn stable. Anyway, next step is figuring out how to hang my hamock with its CRL on this thing and maybe adding a stake to the tripods for if I sleep in windy conditions!

Isn't 10' a bit too short for most hammocks? New to hammocking. Just bought one from Little Shop of Hammocks. Has structural ridge line. I think it's about 12' long when hung up.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by theyland View Post
    Isn't 10' a bit too short for most hammocks? New to hammocking. Just bought one from Little Shop of Hammocks. Has structural ridge line. I think it's about 12' long when hung up.
    Measure the ridgeline. Based on some old HF posts (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...dgeline-length) it seems that 83% of the hammock length is a generally good ridgeline length. So, if you have a 12' hammock then you likely have a 10' ridgeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Oldest kid and I ran down to Florida to look at some properties a while back and stayed at two state parks. First one said we could only have 1 hammock per site, and the pics of the 2nd park clearly showed no trees suitable for hanging (this picture). So I found this thread and made a couple the weekend before we ran down.
    Only things I did different were to cut a slight angle on the feet of the stands so they sat flush on the ground, and then dipped 3-4" of the feet into polyurethane. I wasn't sure how wet the ground was going to be so I figured some sealant would not hurt anything.
    I need to either make the stretcher pole loner or make something to attach to the tops of the tripods for the tarp. I covered the tops with some rags and ran the tarp over the tops to keep any sprinkles off but would like to have something better by the next time we use these.
    20210123_182746(1).jpg

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rap Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by sangfroid3 View Post
    I ended up just tying off to the end caps... I know its not ideal but seems pretty darn stable. Anyway, next step is figuring out how to hang my hamock with its CRL on this thing and maybe adding a stake to the tripods for if I sleep in windy conditions!
    I may be late to the party, but this is exactly what you need to do. Tie off the hammock suspension to the pole end eyes then add a ridgeline from hammock end to hammock end. Hang stays consistent, forces are nearly all compression on the pole. Thing of beauty!

Tarp is a different story...still working on that one.

Hammock
    OG Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    I used my TurtleDog for the first time this past weekend on a bike trip. I used 6' long 2x2's for the legs and 3 sections of 5' long black pipe for my ridge pole. Drilled holes in the end hold eye bolts that attach to the tripods with S hooks. My hammock is attached to the ridge pole with an oversized 'biner slid over the end of the pole and held in place with the eye bolt. Tarp CRL ties to the same 'biners and puts the tarp beautifully over the hammock with zero stand contact.

10' WBBB hammock with an 11' tarp. Doubling as a bike stand is icing on the cake!

IMG_8845.jpg

IMG_8849.jpg

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
    I used my TurtleDog for the first time this past weekend on a bike trip. I used 6' long 2x2's for the legs and 3 sections of 5' long black pipe for my ridge pole. Drilled holes in the end hold eye bolts that attach to the tripods with S hooks. My hammock is attached to the ridge pole with an oversized 'biner slid over the end of the pole and held in place with the eye bolt. Tarp CRL ties to the same 'biners and puts the tarp beautifully over the hammock with zero stand contact.

10' WBBB hammock with an 11' tarp. Doubling as a bike stand is icing on the cake!

IMG_8845.jpg

IMG_8849.jpg
    How'd you manage to pack all that on a bike???

Hammock
    OG Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    How'd you manage to pack all that on a bike???
    I didn't. This was basecamp for riding the local trails. The stand stays at home on proper bikepacking trips.

Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    Ok, I've been putting it off too long! After seeing the olddog modifications to the turtlelady bamboo stand I knew I needed one. I am planning on hanging inside full time and wanted to use it in the house. But... I've been happy spending most nights hanging outside in the back yard. Summer temps are starting to work their way down here and it's not as cool at night as I would like so I am going to have to move inside soon.

So I pulled the plug, I scrounged some stuff around the house and bought the rest of the supplies last night and built it this morning. Here it is in all it's glory. I still have some tweaks to make but it is usable as is and will only improve as I tweak.

Thanks to EVERYONE that has contributed to the big bamboo stand thread but mostly to olddog and turtlelady.

Dave
    It s absolutely amazing... You are the best...

Hammock
    DW Half-Wit / DW Netless / Darien
    Tarp
    HG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened-T/HG-U
    Suspension
    Spiders / WS
    I'm so late to the party.
    I've been wanting to make one of these stands for a few years.

I go on extended kayak trips to FL and GA and sometimes have trouble finding places to hang a hammock. Especially in the Everglades. Flamingo campground has very few trees and you are not to tie, hang anything from any of the trees that are there. I ended up purchasing a screened cot. It still was better then sleeping on the ground, but no where as comfortable as a hammock.

Off topic, trip videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcNBj5_0Y18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbh0BQG2Rw

I'm finally in the process of making a stand.
    I'm making it so I can pack it down into my car trunk. Hyundai Elantra.
    I have 1/8" metal L angles, 10 " long, bolted together to make sleeves at the junction point of my leg sections. I'll have the one side bolted together, fixed, the other side I think I will get wing nuts to make tear down and set up without needing tools.
    ModIMG_20220522_175034516.jpg

I have all my legs completed. Still need to attach the legs to my hinges.
    ModIMG_20220522_184151612.jpg

I was planning on making the ridge pole using top rail fence in 3 - 4' sections to get in my trunk. After seeing this post, https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1903018 , looks like someone used a long 2x3 piece of lumber for the ridge pole. I'm thinking of making metal L angles like I did for the legs to attach 3 - 4' sections of 2x3 to make my ridge pole.
    Last edited by elgecko; 05-23-2022 at 08:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 317 of 320 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319 ... LastLast