WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

The TurtleDog stand

When drilling metal, make sure you keep plenty of oil on the drill bit. This will cool the bit and make everything work much better.

Also, strongly recommend using a small drill bit first to make the hole and then a larger one to widen it to the required diameter.

No need for clamps etc - just get a friend to hold the pipe steady - especially if this project is likely to be a one-off.

Finally, make sure you put a container of some sort under the area to collect both extra oil and the metal swarf.
    Last edited by ChrisJHC; 08-16-2020 at 17:17.

1-Hung-Low, that was a bunch more super helpful information, thank you! It's funny where my mind went, having never drilled metal. I just pictured it flying around everywhere at great forces for some reason. You have put it into perspective for me! So I'm definitely back on the "drill the holes and use hardware" train. I appreciate you putting the question stuff in perspective for me, as well.

ChrisJHC: Also very helpful info, thank you kindly!

New question, because I really don't understand physics.

If I piece together my ridgepole from two cut-down fence top rails, does it matter if the pieces are wildly different lengths?

(I ask because I will probably start with two 7-foot lengths, and then cut the non-swaged one down as needed if my ridgepole turns out to be too long. So one ridgepole will stay 7 feet, but the other one might be 4, 5, or 6 feet in the end. Because I don't want to have to drill the suspension holes over and over.)

I've seen that at least one person has done it this way, but I need reassurance.

For what it's worth, I'm looking at a 12' Brazilian hammock, so if you have solid insight on the optimal ridgepole length for full-time sleeping, that's good, too.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Wild Flower, "If I piece together my ridgepole from two cut-down fence top rails, does it matter if the pieces are wildly different lengths?"

No it won’t matter. My center section is 7’ and the ends with the Eye Bolts and swaged ends are 41” long. No matter what you use for a ridge pole be it fence rails, electrical conduit, wood, etc; the upward pressure will be in the middle of the rail. That’s why I use a 3 piece system as the center section has no seam.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    As 1-H-L said, it’s probably better not to have the join right in the middle. Probably not a significant issue either way.

Thank you 1-Hung-Low and ChrisJHC for providing me with answers again!

I have another "this is my 1st DIY" question. Google isn't helping.

What sized bolts and eye hooks are needed in relation to the holes in the METAL parts of this? Should the diameter of the hardware be exactly the same as the hole? A little smaller, a little larger? (and by how much?) And when people refer to diameter of hardware, is it of the threads, or the main body underneath (i don't know the term for it)?

By "holes in the metal parts" I mean in the hinges and then the ones I'll drill in the pole for the eye hooks. I just don't know how to match bolts/screws/etc. with holes yet.

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by Wild Flower; 08-19-2020 at 21:10.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Wild Flower, I used 3/8” Eye bolts on the ridge pole and ¼” bolts to attach the hinges. Don’t forget to use “fender washers” on the non hinge side as well as lock washers in addition to the “fender washers”. To save you the question, fender washers are wide but with a small hole sized just right for the ¼” bolts. You will need 2 hinges, 8 bolts, 8 fender washers, 8 lock washers 8 nuts. You will also need 4 fender washers for the 3/8” Eye bolts, 2 lock washers and 2 3/8” nuts. Once again, refer to my photos on page 162.
    Just buy 3/8” Eye bolts if that’s what you want and ¼” bolts long enough to go through the hinge and the wood with enough left to use the washers and nuts. If you luck out and the hinge holes are made for ¼” bolts, then you won’t have to drill. If they are smaller than ¼” then you will. Pick up the bolts first, get one of the workers from the store and ask him to help you pick out the hinge. Remember they are HD gate hinges.
    Don’t over think it 3/8” & ¼”.

Dang it, I have trouble translating my questions for other humans. Come back, 1-H-L! Let me just ask it this way:

What size holes do you drill in the ridgepole for the 3/8" eye bolts? (What size drill bit, in other words?)

Lock washers... that's the first mention I've seen of those. Ughhh, one more thing to learn how to use. This article says there are three kinds, which one is good for this task?

By the by, your post on page 162 was in my notes to refer back to before you even started answering my questions!
    Last edited by Wild Flower; 08-19-2020 at 22:48.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    You use a 3/8" drill bit for the 3/8" Eye bolt. Don't forget to "dimple" so the drill bit doesn't wander.
    Here are the lock washers. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Pak...Washer/3033528

Their purpose is to keep the nut from loosening through everyday use and vibration

• + New Posts
  • Page 315 of 320 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317 ... LastLast