Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 3191
    Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Txtac View Post
    ...... I'm guessing you needed to angle them too.
    if you leave the bottom of the legs square they will dig into the earth & effectively anchor themselves

if using inside ONLY cutting the bottom at an angle will provide a better contact on a hard floor

just this old man's point of view

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    How did you attach the tarp to the tri-pods? Hard to see but looks like the tarp is attached to the top of the tri-pods, I would think that it would pull the tri-pods in. I'm just wondering, I've been putting my Noah 12 over the top of the ridge pole so far.
    We hung our tarps on the ridge poles and we had rain running down the pole under the tarp.
    OldnWay

Hammock
    TW green hornet
    Tarp
    DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    S.i.m.
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie
    I've had to lift my tarp away from the ridge pole as it sucks the rain through!!!!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC 1.1DL
    Insulation
    Chewbacca
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree that leaving the bottom of the poles uncut help anchor on the ground. Very stable.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC 1.1DL
    Insulation
    Chewbacca
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah the tarp has to be below the pole. There are a few vids on utube showing the problems

Hammock
    DIY Hammock and WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubat.
    Suspension
    BacktoStraps/Dutch
    These have been great stands to have with when trees were not available (only used them three times) but we are changing gears and so I'm selling two complete sets of these, but, much to my dismay, the forum rules have changed and sellers now require 50 posts. I had bought and sold on the forum a fair bit and know I had more posts than that, but now it's showing 36. Oh well so I am not to be trusted anymore. Ha. If anyone in or near Bozeman, MT is interested, I just put the listing up on craigslist for two sets of these. I won't link to it here, but search for "Camping Hammock portable hammock stands" and you'll find it.

Back to topic...I'd used chain link which I found easy to use and more adjustable than a closed loop. An adjustable loop would be lighter and still allow for the adjustments needed depending on which hammock one was using (various lengths). If one uses the exact same hammock length everytime, a fixed loop of appropriate length, is hard to beat. I even toyed with making one of my hammocks my dedicated turtledog stand hammock and setting up suspension (or lack there of) accordingly but found the strap suspension worked quite well. Whoopie suspension worked very poorly with this type of stand in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    How did you attach the tarp to the tri-pods? Hard to see but looks like the tarp is attached to the top of the tri-pods, I would think that it would pull the tri-pods in. I'm just wondering, I've been putting my Noah 12 over the top of the ridge pole so far.
    I put eye hooks near the top of the stand and was able to clip into them with a small carabiner. The tarp did not touch the pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Here is a problem with the turtledog stand I have not heard before. Last month I went camping with our scout troop and had to set up in the rain. I put up the tripods, hung the center pole, made from aluminum mast poles, and covered with a Kelty Noah 12 tarp. Then I set up the hammock (Hennessy Expedition) under the tarp and stored my gear under the tarp as well. When I got into my hammock, I felt drops of water dripping on me. The rain was running down the pole, which was sticking out from under the tarp, and dripping into the hammock. I had to cover the ends of the pole so that the rain would not run down, in order to get to sleep that night. It was a weird problem, one that I did not expect. The pole was just long enough for the tarp to not cover both ends. I am going to have to solve this by carrying a piece of sil-nylon or Tyvek to cover the end of the pole.

Has anyone else used the TurtleDog stand in harsh weather?
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    Hi guys,

Here is a problem with the turtledog stand I have not heard before. Last month I went camping with our scout troop and had to set up in the rain. I put up the tripods, hung the center pole, made from aluminum mast poles, and covered with a Kelty Noah 12 tarp. Then I set up the hammock (Hennessy Expedition) under the tarp and stored my gear under the tarp as well. When I got into my hammock, I felt drops of water dripping on me. The rain was running down the pole, which was sticking out from under the tarp, and dripping into the hammock. I had to cover the ends of the pole so that the rain would not run down, in order to get to sleep that night. It was a weird problem, one that I did not expect. The pole was just long enough for the tarp to not cover both ends. I am going to have to solve this by carrying a piece of sil-nylon or Tyvek to cover the end of the pole.

Has anyone else used the TurtleDog stand in harsh weather?
    It's actually a pretty common problem. It's the same reason you need drip lines or a water break on your hammock suspension. Anything starting outside the tarp and traveling under it creates a path for water to travel to you. That's why my tarp goes under the pole so I don't have the drip problem. It makes the tarp closer to the hammock than I prefer when hanging between trees but I'll make that sacrifice if it means I can still sleep in a hammock instead of on the ground.

Here is a photo for reference.
    20151031_103705

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I call it the hillbilly turtledog, made it out of fir pecker poles harvested from my 80 acers to use on the river bar. I've spent 4 nights hanging from it with no issues yet only hard wear needed was two 5 inch bolt and a little cordage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts
  • Page 269 of 320 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279319 ... LastLast