Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Ok....I've read TurtleLady's bamboo thread and keep checking back on it. But my question is....I only need one end, do I really have to use a pole to hang off of? Couldn't I incorporate this stand by hanging of the inside center some how?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Ok....I've read TurtleLady's bamboo thread and keep checking back on it. But my question is....I only need one end, do I really have to use a pole to hang off of? Couldn't I incorporate this stand by hanging of the inside center some how?
    You would still need the pole. When you are in your hammock you have a couple of different forces acting on what you are hanging on (normally trees). You have the two ends of your hammock trying to pull together and you have the force of gravity pulling down.

This stand separates those two forces to allow you to hang with a portable stand. Having the loop that hangs down and attaches to the pole carries the weight/gravity part. The pole takes care of the two ends trying to pull together by absorbing all of the compression forces (which is why you can't use something flimsy because it has a significant amount of force pushing the two ends towards the middle).

My vote is to go ahead and build a full set so that you have something to take on the road if need be and when home you would only need to use one tripod, the pole, and have something on the wall to hold the other end of the pole (and the downward gravity/weight force). It's really easy to make. I bet if I worked quickly I could go from store purchased materials to finished and set up in about 10 minutes. Hmmm... I did want to make one for my daughter

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Can you describe how you connect the hammock suspension. I made a stand exactly like yours last weekend. when I attach it starts to pull the tripods in.. Any suggestion?
    olddog has spoken (read what he posted)

Mine is a bit different because I used some sort of toprail pipe type thing that I already had laying in the back yard for the past 10 years. You could try what I did... prussik's. I used a loop and did about a three wrap prussik (not sure if that is the correct terminology) around the pole to prevent slipping and then hooked the loop to the tripod hinge. You could then use another loop and do a larks head or another prussik for attaching your hammock to. Just make sure you put it on the OUTSIDE of the rope from the tripod/hinge.

If that doesn't make sense I can try to do some sort of a visual or set my stand up again and take a picture.

Dave

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG-20 degree
    Suspension
    Arrowhead WS setup

turle dog hppyfngy thingy

I am not trying to hijack your thread, but wanted to add a variant. For those that did not read the whole turtle lady stand thread (highly recommended) there was an addition to the turtle dog stand by hppyfngy. ( post # 377) I think turtle lady got the tripod theme going, old dog added the hinge, and hppy fngy added the angled cuts. I know I left out some of the other contributors but thanks to you all.

Here is how my stand tuned out. I am still working on getting the tarp to go over the tripod. I am thinking of covering the wood with an old inner tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Can you describe how you connect the hammock suspension. I made a stand exactly like yours last weekend. when I attach it starts to pull the tripods in.. Any suggestion?
    Ok, so I made my loops and went ahead and took a picture for you. I made my loops pretty big (I started with about a 75" lenth of amsteel) with lots of wraps around the pipe. I can then unwrap it a little bit to lower the bar... or leave it as is and have more gripping power.

After getting everything together I changed my mind on the biner arrangement. Sort of ignore the picture. I had it right originally but decided to put the biner through both end loops of the wrap around the pipe. After thinking about it a bit I thought that the pull from the hammock will be at a 30 degree angle and those biners are made for having the direction of pull in line with the spine of the biner. So... back to the way that I had it originally, which is looped through the outside loop of the wrap on the pipe (left in the picture) and NOT also looped through the inside loops (right side). I hope that's clear as mud

Dave

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Perfectly clear Dave. I was going to suggest that when I saw your picture, but you're way ahead of me.

Beautiful version of an excellent idea by the way. I'm going to make one, as soon as I can find something suitable for a top bar that doesn't cost a fortune (I'm in Australia, and stuff is not cheap here!).
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    Perfectly clear Dave. I was going to suggest that when I saw your picture, but you're way ahead of me.

Beautiful version of an excellent idea by the way. I'm going to make one, as soon as I can find something suitable for a top bar that doesn't cost a fortune (I'm in Australia, and stuff is not cheap here!).
    Don't forget to think outside the box (errrr... I mean hammock) and consider using something that is available. It needs to withstand considerable compressing forces but can be anything that will work. The pole that I used was sitting around the yard when I moved here.

Best of luck and post pics when you finish!

Dave

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Dave I like that multi wrap toprail suspension, allows for alot of adjustability in the toprail height. And the evolution of the Turtlelady stand continues.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Dave I like that multi wrap toprail suspension, allows for alot of adjustability in the toprail height. And the evolution of the Turtlelady stand continues.
    I don't know whether it will ever need adjusting but I figure it couldn't hurt

Dave

Finished mine today

Last edited by Cole; 05-01-2012 at 22:35.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 320 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast