Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    elgecko - just a thought on setup/take down. Instead of using bolts and wind nuts (easy to drop in a pile of leaves), you can use a pin like this:

https://tinyurl.com/2p8u53t5

to connect to poles. It won’t come out until you want it to and no little pieces to get lost. Just keep it in one of the two poles you’re connecting when not in use.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Half-Wit / DW Netless / Darien
    Tarp
    HG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened-T/HG-U
    Suspension
    Spiders / WS
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    elgecko - just a thought on setup/take down. Instead of using bolts and wind nuts (easy to drop in a pile of leaves), you can use a pin like this:

https://tinyurl.com/2p8u53t5

to connect to poles. It won’t come out until you want it to and no little pieces to get lost. Just keep it in one of the two poles you’re connecting when not in use.
    I was thinking of something like that.
    ModIMG_20220523_093953980.jpg

Problem is I'm cheap. Not sure I want to purchase as many as I'd need. Since this would be set up at campsites, I would just carry a few extra hardware pieces in case of losing something.

I do have a concern. I was looking online for heavy duty hinges at my local hardware store. They were sold out of 4" SS, so I went on Amazon and purchased these.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OCWYEO...t_details&th=1

Yesterday I was looking at some pictures in this thread and thinking these look lite compared to some other hinges I see.

The hinges I have are maybe a touch over 1/16".
    ModIMG_20220524_175127839.jpg

ModIMG_20220524_175105683.jpg

ModIMG_20220524_175051295.jpg

Has anyone used thin hinges and did / do they hold up?

Kind of hate thinking of getting different hinges. I doubt the holes I already made will work with something heavier.
    Plus I'd have to see if Amazon would let me return these. I don't have the plastic bag they came in anymore... Guess it would not be a terrible loss. I only have the price of the 2 hinges in this project so far.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened-T/HG-U
    Suspension
    Spiders / WS
    I guess everyone who has made one of these, doesn't visit this thread anymore.

Anyway I'm really happy with the way it turned out.
    So I'll share my version of a portable T-D stand.

Kept the 4" SS Tee - Hinges. Just under $10 ea.
    Used 660lb rated SS quick link. $6 ea.
    2X4's ripped to 2X2 & 2X3's. Free. Work throws these out all day long. Comes in as our crates on blowers and coils.
    - 2X2 - 75" Front legs // Back leg - 72-1/4" as what was suggested on post 483. Same angles also.
    - 2X3 - 12' long.
    Metal brackets to to make this stand break down. Free. Work
    Hardware I was also able to get what I needed from work.
    Since I was fortunate enough to get most of what I needed from work, I have around $32 in this project.

Decided to just try out this stand in my garage. Added some foam and cardboard to cushion a possible stand failure from the hard concrete below.
    ModIMG_20220529_164009354.jpg

After sitting on the side of the hammock as a chair for a bit, I felt comfortable enough to lay in the hammock.
    modIMG_20220317_195433349.jpgIMG_20220529_164215138.jpg

Looking up I see something I'm not crazy about. The metal joint is at my head. I doubt it would fail at that point, but think I'll pad that anyway in case something fails and it decides to come down.
    Laid in the hammock for around 30 minutes. Wiggled around a bit to see if everything felt secure. All seems well.
    ModIMG_20220529_170124294.jpg

All disassembled.
    ModIMG_20220529_174244727.jpg

Fitting nicely into my car trunk.
    ModIMG_20220529_174802064.jpg

Now I have to get this out and try this for real a few nights.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    Looks like a nice modular wood system. I added cordage on the tripod at the mid point on the legs (connecting them to each other) to keep them from spreading out on hard surfaces indoors. How did you keep yours from doing this?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Are those square brackets available at Home Depot or Lowes? I assume they would work with a standard 2x2 off the rack (which is smaller than an actual 2 inches), because the 2x4 you ripped wasn’t actually 4 inches either.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened-T/HG-U
    Suspension
    Spiders / WS
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill View Post
    Looks like a nice modular wood system. I added cordage on the tripod at the mid point on the legs (connecting them to each other) to keep them from spreading out on hard surfaces indoors. How did you keep yours from doing this?
    I followed the direction for cutting the angles on this post so no cordage was needed to keep the legs from spreading.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post809234

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Are those square brackets available at Home Depot or Lowes? I assume they would work with a standard 2x2 off the rack (which is smaller than an actual 2 inches), because the 2x4 you ripped wasn’t actually 4 inches either.
    I guess Lowes or Home Depot may have some metal that will work. Where I work we make our own metal cabinets. I drew up what I wanted and the sheet metal supervisor made them for me.
    You are correct in the lumber size. A 2x2 is actually 1 1/2" x 1 1/2". Since other people were using that size for their stands and it was working, I ripped my wood to the same size.

Did you notice that I broke down and bought the double wire safety pins for assembly / disassembly?
    After taking it down in my garage, I did realize quickly it would be a pain using wing nuts. After fully disassembling it to treat the wood and paint the metal, I ordered them. LOL
    I have to order a different size yet for the wood top rail. Still have wing nuts on those connections.

ModIMG_20220610_162048125_HDR.jpg

ModIMG_20220610_164945523_HDR.jpg

ModIMG_20220610_164417436_HDR.jpg

I was trying to figure out why this hammock was hanging lower then the first time I hung my Darien... because it's not my Darien, it's a Half-Wit. Apparently when I ordered these hammocks years ago, I made them different lengths.

What I want to do yet;
    - Make the wood ridge-line attach better to the stand / hinge. Currently I'm using left over whoopie slings wrapped around the wood several times, and then to a quick link. I think I may just make some continuous loops for this function.
    - For hanging the hammock to the top rail, special whoopie slings that are shorter and have a larger fixed loop to go around the wood ridge line.
    - A way to secure the stand in case of wind. I was thinking either something straight down from the wood ridge line, or something at each leg to stake to the ground.
    - Last, since this would be for car camping, using a cheap blue tarp and having it be in porch mode directly off the stand itself. (May make a bigger sail problem for securing the stand in case of wind...)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    elgecko - yeah, those clips are better than dropping wing nuts - and they will drop. To make you feel even better, I have a Tato Turtle stand and though I like it - it is heavy. And being all metal, you can’t take it out/put it in the tiny bag that come with it without scratching it. The adjustable legs are nice and this weekend in the rain, I realized putting the tarp over the top bar gives it enough height that I don’t have to scrunch over so much - it’s closer to the height I’d use on trees.

So nice to roll into an “official” campsite and not have to work finding one with appropriate trees - trees not on the border between two sites (where they usually are).

I hope you have a lot of good adventures with your DIY - just that much sweeter when you make it yourself.

Just got into hammocking in the past year and came across this thread recently. I realized pretty quickly I would need to make a stand for testing gear and hanging out on the patio. Here is my take on the TDS using 2x2’s (5.5’) and 1” EMT (2-6.5’ long for total bar length of 13’. I also had some spare 3/4 conduit so I added that for stability and to add a table on each end if I wanted. Recently picked up a Mantis UL which I used for the pics. I will probably make another stand with the angled cuts and the wood around 6.5’. This is a cheap enough stand and fun to make for testing out new gear. Thanks to everyone for their ideas and posts over the years to help a newbie along
    .E787231C-4B73-4D36-9748-B099FD0D7E9D.jpeg4C4353E5-CB37-4FBD-81C4-69A18E49709F.jpeg01EA06D1-C593-49CE-8B6A-0C5A34316614.jpeg7760CAB5-FB46-4EA2-9109-F73E8F38F4D2.jpeg

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by scootcole View Post
    Just got into hammocking in the past year and came across this thread recently. I realized pretty quickly I would need to make a stand for testing gear and hanging out on the patio.
    I will probably make another stand with the angled cuts and the wood around 6.5’.
    .E787231C-4B73-4D36-9748-B099FD0D7E9D.jpeg4C4353E5-CB37-4FBD-81C4-69A18E49709F.jpeg01EA06D1-C593-49CE-8B6A-0C5A34316614.jpeg7760CAB5-FB46-4EA2-9109-F73E8F38F4D2.jpeg
    scootcole, if you intend to use this design on terra firma consider leaving the bottom cuts square and they will aid in keeping the legs from trying to spread out as easily

just an old man's 2¢ worth

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    scootcole, if you intend to use this design on terra firma consider leaving the bottom cuts square and they will aid in keeping the legs from trying to spread out as easily

just an old man's 2¢ worth

sw
    Thanks for the response SW. I originally did cut these pieces with the angled tops but the legs kept walking in. I then cut off the angles on top, drilled the legs and added rope to keep them from splaying. Since I had some extra 3/4 conduit, I added star nuts to the ends of the conduit and I have screws through the wood and into the nuts, then I added the small wooden table to hold a beverage of choice while on the patio. The legs are stationary unless I remove the screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 318 of 320 FirstFirst ... 218268308316317318319320 LastLast