Page 316 of 320 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,160 of 3191
    Thank you so very very much for your continued assistance, 1-H-L!!! My TD may have to be dedicated in part to you!

One more question maybe?

I plan on using 2x3s and I'm going to start with them at the full 8 feet, because I don't need to transport my stand, and Brazilian hammocks might need a steeper hang angle from what I've read.

Does that mean my stand will be more unstable? Do I need a wider stance at the feet, or can I still get away with a 40-48" spread?

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
    One more question maybe?

I plan on using 2x3s and I'm going to start with them at the full 8 feet, because I don't need to transport my stand, and Brazilian hammocks might need a steeper hang angle from what I've read.

Does that mean my stand will be more unstable? Do I need a wider stance at the feet, or can I still get away with a 40-48" spread?
    I don’t think 8 feet would be any less stable than 7 feet still keeping the spread at 48”. Keep in mind, the higher the hammock is off the ground within the stand the less stable the setup would be but not necessarily unsafe just like being on the top step of a ladder as opposed to the bottom step.
    My grandson toppled mine once but that’s because he decided to use it as a swing. I use mine both inside and outside and it has never failed me.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Thanks, 1-H-L! I'm trying to visualize what you are describing. when you say "the higher the hammock is off the ground within the stand," do you mean the bottom of the hammock, or the entire thing? When I entered the specs into the Ultimate Hang Calculator, I was aiming for the bottom to be like 24" off the ground, just cuz that's about where my bed is and I get allergies if I'm any closer to the carpet.

Maybe I just have to build the dang thing and play around with it myself.

Unfortunately I just found out my planned ride to the big box store was exposed to Covid two days ago.
    Last edited by Wild Flower; 08-20-2020 at 17:09. Reason: I think I've edited all my posts, haha, my wheels just don't stop turning

I need help again.

I just noticed that the eye bolts I was going to use have this warning. Well I bought chain and quick links with a much higher load rating than the eye bolts. I'm not even sure if quick links come in a low enough rating (the eye bolts are for 225 lbs.)

Maybe I have the wrong eye bolts, I don't know. The trip to the hardware store was VERY overwhelming. I was there for 3 hours.

Also, am I supposed to use regular or fender washers with the eye bolt/pole assembly?

HELP PLEASE! I've now spent so much money on this, you don't even want to know.

working load.PNG
    Last edited by Wild Flower; 08-26-2020 at 09:16.

Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    Hello! I am new to the hammock world and VERY new to the DIY world, so I was hoping someone here could help. I recently built a turtledog stand and pretty happy with the results, but I don't have a way to drill through the ridge pole to keep the hammock suspension in place. With the setup shown in pictures, the loops will slide inward until my butt is on the ground. Does anybody have some (hopefully simple) suggestion for how to keep the suspension in place?

Thank you!

Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    Since idk how to use forums apparently, pictures:20210112_172857.jpg20210112_172822.jpg20210112_172748.jpg

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by sangfroid3 View Post
    Hello! I am new to the hammock world and VERY new to the DIY world, so I was hoping someone here could help. I recently built a turtledog stand and pretty happy with the results, but I don't have a way to drill through the ridge pole to keep the hammock suspension in place. With the setup shown in pictures, the loops will slide inward until my butt is on the ground. Does anybody have some (hopefully simple) suggestion for how to keep the suspension in place?

Thank you!
    Am I wrong to assume you used a drill to drill holes in the 2x2’s in order to install the hinges?
    If so, just drill holes in your metal top rail and install “EYE” bolts to hang the top rail to your stand and then put your suspension on the top rail outboard of the eye bolt. That will keep your suspension in place.
    Also, don’t hang from your end caps as the are made of pot metal and not very strong.
    Check out my build: Page 162, post #1615 and pictures of eye bolt post #1618
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by sangfroid3 View Post
    Does anybody have some (hopefully simple) suggestion for how to keep the suspension in place?

Thank you!
    I made my TD last spring and used a loop of plain old 550 paracord larksheaded with about four turns (8 wraps total) and it doesn't slide at all through all kinds of conditions. I attach my hammocks with whoopie slings but always throw an extra loop over the end of the toprail and slide it down so that the loop passes right over the larkshead coils. I do keep the hang angle fairly close to thirty degrees and although my ridgelines can be a bit tight at times, I'm pretty careful about it.

I tried to swap the paracord loops with 7/64 dyneema loops but it is too slick and slid during the night. I planned on putting eyebolts in but like being able to adjust the height of the toprail and shorten the hang length if needed. I also have a pair of steel hose clamps to torque down around the toprail as a "stop" to keep things from sliding but have never bothered using them.

Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-Hung-Low View Post
    Am I wrong to assume you used a drill to drill holes in the 2x2’s in order to install the hinges?
    If so, just drill holes in your metal top rail and install “EYE” bolts to hang the top rail to your stand and then put your suspension on the top rail outboard of the eye bolt. That will keep your suspension in place.
    Also, don’t hang from your end caps as the are made of pot metal and not very strong.
    Check out my build: Page 162, post #1615 and pictures of eye bolt post #1618
    I did have a drill at the time on loan but I don't now and was hoping there was a way I could do this without drilling holes through the metal, which I'd seen on yours and others. I'm sure there's a way, just not thinking of it atm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 316 of 320 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318 ... LastLast