Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    Don't like the DEET after seeing it peel the plastic on sunglasses and remove the varnish off wood arm-rests on a lawn chair.
    I have heard/read about that and changed to Picaridin since 2010. In 2012 I bought an Oakley polarized sunglasses that I only wear when I go fishing. In less than 2 years its lenses started to peeling off. A complete disaster! Not saying it is because the Picaridin but that was weird.

Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Picaridin and permethrin is what has me still going camping this summer, the skeeters have been fierce this summer here in South Florida and as long as I have my clothes and hammock treated in permethrin, and my skin slathered in picaridin I'm fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfed View Post
    I have heard/read about that and changed to Picaridin since 2010. In 2012 I bought an Oakley polarized sunglasses that I only wear when I go fishing. In way less than 2 years its lenses started to peeling off. A complete disaster! Not saying it is because the Picaridin but that was weird.
    I own two pairs of polarized Oakley Holbrooks in different colors, and a pair of polarized Oakley TwoFace, all of them have the film flaking off, all of them started flaking in less than two years of owning them. None of my Oakley brand sunglasses have ever been around Picaridin or Deet, I only use my Oakley's for work, driving and going out and about in town where I never use any chemicals like bug spray or even hair spray or gel since I only have a few hairs on my head. Sweat and my natural face oils/grease are the only things harsh that I can think of that get on my Oakley lenses.

Oakley tints do not last from what I can see from owning three pairs, they are AWESOME when new, but they end up flaking starting at the edges. My coworkers who have Oakley's are having the same issue, they have the Holbrooks like mine. I ordered generic polarized replacement lenses through Amazon.com for my Oakley Holbrooks, hopefully these lenses last longer.
    Last edited by Rice-N-beans; 09-12-2019 at 23:58.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I just repackaged some picaridin lotion from a 2oz bottle to a .5oz Visine bottle. Getting crazy. But I'm just not sure I'll even need any.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by daveysnowis View Post
    There is a few things that are misunderstood about deet and picaridin. One being 100 percent deet isn't giving you MORE coverage but LONGER coverage. Also, lotion applications will perform LONGER than a spray on. As some have noted, permethrin on the clothes and hammock (it is even safe to apply directly to pets) and deet or picaridin on the skin will give you pretty good coverage all around. Picaridin doesn't seem to have much of a smell to me and drys really quick... I am a fan!
    Be careful. It's supposed to be extremely bad for cats when wet...before it dries.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456