Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Gotta be too tight, however, as a full time hangar that uses a pretty good sized pillow under my knees i gotta say I've never had this problem. I was having a bit of shoulder squeeze that I didn't have and realized that it has come on after the last couple of washings. I've been rehanging the thing tighter and tighter, loosened it up Wednesday and now thats been taken care of.

I've tried sleeping the bed with my grand-daughter and wife, I can't do it anymore.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Officially throwing in the towel at 4:00AM. There's no way. I don't know how anyone can sleep in these things.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    hmm. sounds like you might need to check out a hang - tents always welcome! - and get some ideas. is it too tight or too loose? What about side tie outs? CBS?
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    hmm. sounds like you might need to check out a hang - tents always welcome! - and get some ideas. is it too tight or too loose? What about side tie outs? CBS?
    Got the angle right, but I also tried many variations with no luck. Side tie outs possibly at a "wrong" angle if that's possible? Staying warm with a 40° Incubator UQ.

It could just be that I miss the easy of positions in a tent - side, stomach, back, side, repeat...throughout the night. But the ridge and material pulling up my heels is still the major issue.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Officially throwing in the towel at 4:00AM. There's no way. I don't know how anyone can sleep in these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Got the angle right, but I also tried many variations with no luck. Side tie outs possibly at a "wrong" angle if that's possible? Staying warm with a 40° Incubator UQ.

It could just be that I miss the easy of positions in a tent - side, stomach, back, side, repeat...throughout the night. But the ridge and material pulling up my heels is still the major issue.
    The easiest cure is a bridge hammock. Sorry to hear you are having such a struggle, but now and then some folks do.

But, I'm sure you do not want to spend more money on another hammock, you want the one you have to work as it has for others.

I'm sure you have tried raising the foot end about 6" higher than the head or a nice "pillow" under your knees, or both, right? No doubt you have, but just double checking.

Hope you get it figured out!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-28-2012 at 11:08.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    The easiest cure is a bridge hammock. Sorry to hear you are having such a struggle, but now and then some folks do.

But, I'm sure you do not want to spend more money on another hammock, you want the one you have to work as it has for others.

I'm sure you have tried raising the foot end about 6" higher than the head or a nice "pillow" under your knees, or both, right? No doubt you have, but just double checking.

Hope you get it figured out!
    Thanks. I did try a pillow but I'm trying to keep weight/bulk down and don't want to carry two, so I used some extra clothes that I would probably have on a trip. Unfortunatley this didn't work so well, and I'll have even less extra clothes when it's warmer outside.

I raised the foot end everywhere from a couple inches to 12" with no real noticeable change.

When I reach down to feel the ridge under my knee, it's crazy - it just drops like 8" from being tight pulled fabric to a huge loose pocket. I can't lie at any more of an angle to try and fix this since I'm already on top of the zipper, or near it. Now I'm also approaching the point where my UQ won't stay covering my body at a high angle.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Try it with the pillows- I know you don't want bulk, but try it- see if hammock sleeping can be comfortable- once you know what that feels like you can approximate it.

Half side sleeping can be a challenge to get used to, but I like it a lot now. I flip a little in my hammock, but most people seem to find a sweet spot and they're golden- totally unlike the tent!

As a guy, your centre of gravity is about your chest. (for girls, it's about the middle) so, have you tried putting the foot end of your hammock quite a bit higher than the head end? like six inches higher? Oh- I see that you have.

I wonder if it might be worth posting some photos of your problem- a lot of us here are visual people.

TH

What are you using for a top quilt?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Lynx 20*
    I saw Shug found his sweet spot lying with his feet to the left and not even using the foot box in his WBBB. Maybe give this a try. The guys might remember what video this was in and can post it for you. Good luck I really hope it works for you.

Images
    Have you ever tried any other hammocks yet? Did you have the same problems? If you have not, it would be great for you to get to a hang and try a bunch of different hammocks, including a bridge. And have some experienced folks critique you set up.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    and doesn't somebody put their head in the foot box of their WB?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast