Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Oh IMO there's plenty to miss about a tent, just as there are things not to miss. Number one is fool proof wind protection compared to most tarp set ups. Even a small 1 or 2 man tent can be really storm resistant and wind proof, at least once it is set up correctly in the rain . And if you have good drainage and don't get swamped, but wind protection is number one. Of course, with hammocks we usually have better access to sheltered sites, which can make up for no criss crossing tent poles. But not always.

I used to have a 35 sq.ft, 5 lb 2 man 4 season NF hoop tent ( Westwind) that, pitched (low to the ground) right out in the middle of a meadow or on a snow ridge could with stand the most amazing amounts of wind. And I had a couple of 9 lb Walrus 4 season tents- 3 man or 3+ gear or 4 man not sure, but also had room for gear in vestibules - that I could actually lean my body weight on and they would barely flex. I really felt secure in any storm in those, and wind or sideways rain or snow was never an issue. It takes a much bigger tarp to compete with that, and really even then I don't think it competes. I'm always nervous about the "sail" of a big old tarp, and without poles I am always nervous about them really standing up to the wind hitting all of that surface area. ( even though so far so good!)

Then again, even a huge tarp is still going to be way lighter than those tents even when shared by more than one person. ( Westwind = ~ 2.5 lbs per person). And also, my experiences in the wind with the HH Super Shelter, with it's smaller tarp ( less of a sail, catches less wind ) but windproof under cover, have been excellent. But wait a minute! The Explorer UL with tarp weighs 2.5 lbs, so it is actually the same weight as a Westwind used by two. But the HHSS weighs ~ 20 more oz. Course need a pad in the tent, so the weights are about the same. But comfort wise, and not having to sleep in a small tent with a stinking snoring buddy? Priceless, and even worth more weight if it turned out that way!

How about having a stable sheltered dry surface(floor) to place things on, or play cards on in a storm? Sometimes I miss that. So tents are not without their selling points. It's just that, under most conditions the hammock/tarp has more selling points for me. But I guess that is all in the past, I doubt I will be going back. I must admit though that, on one trip to the Wind Rivers, below timberline but so many widowmakers that I was kind of nostalgic for my old Westwind which I could have pitched so easily out in the meadows. Then again, to keep the weight reasonable, I would have had to share it with another adult male, and that would suck now that I am used to a roomy, stand up tarp!

And yep, that gear hammock could help with some gear storage problems.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-24-2012 at 20:42.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I haven't been in the field with my hammock yet, so I'll need to figure out the pack part. I'm thinking about keeping it in a simple heavy duty trash bag - fold closed or even a twist tie and keep under the hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
    ...I use a 7mm length of cord for a continuous and independant ridgeline ...
    Well there's your problem right there. You need a longer ridgeline to fit everything under it.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i hang mine from the hammock end knot like mad777-

off the ground, under the tarp
    but the molly mac gearbox is total awesomeness, too

a wiser man once said:
    "the only thing that should touch the ground is the soles of your shoes"
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images
    Often I can here a gentle rumbling sound coming from 20 or 40 ft away. my buddies snoring. Then I think how glad I am not to be lying in a two man tent with him, and my nostalgia for my NF Westwind vanishes.

But just me in that tent or a lighter one man model? It has a few charms! Sometimes. Some treeless times!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
    have you got a link? i'll start searching now ta
    This is another alternative:

http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog...wing-5p689.htm

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    There are several variations on a "gear hammock" which I'm sure will be posted in this thread in response to your question. But I will propose another alternative.

My pack is essentially empty after I have set up my hammock & tarp and have hung my bear bag with all my food, toiletries, bandana, etc. The packs I use weigh from 1.5 pounds to 3 pounds, depending on the outing. I simply hang the empty pack on the end of the hammock knot.

Of course your hiking style may be different than my somewhat spartan style, but it's something for you to consider.
    thanks Mike, look forward to some of the thoughts from others. I pack plenty of items that wont come out of my pack and add to its weight, such as first aid kit, water filters, cooking and eating gear, gps, binoculars, meat bags, knife and steel, fire kit, video cam and all the rest.
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    My waterproof pack cover (Kelty Radial Framed Pack) can be strung up like a hammock with gathered ends and the pack put in it under my sleeping hammock. Also use a contractor sized trash bag to put it in and set on the ground if I want.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My typical set-up......pack sits on a small piece of plastic and I can cover it but seldom need to.
    Ridgeline as a catch-all
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Well there's your problem right there. You need a longer ridgeline to fit everything under it.
    ha ha, well done good pick up, correction 7mm THICK
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast