New Lines for hammock and tarp

Hi forum!

I'm thinking of changing the suspension on my hammock as well as the lines on my tarp. But i'm not sure what's the European version of zingit, amsteel aso that you US folks tend to talk about. So i'm basicly just looking for someone to look me over the shoulder before i place my order..

I weigh 95 kg and my hammock is a WBB if it matters..

For my hammock i just want a normal but light cord suspension. I like tying knots and i don't belive a woopiesling would make me much faster than i allready am. Can i use some of the cord displayed here, or is there better ways to go? And would i use different cord for suspension and ridgeline?

For my tarp i would like to use Dutch hooks around the trees and either a continual ridgeline with a prussik ajustment or put on a couple of woopies at both ends of the tarp.

This is the only place i have been able to find cord of this kind. Am i warm or Way of target?

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/B...s:::26_48.html

Thanks for taking the time.

Z

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    That's the stuff. The difference between that and amsteel is a proprietary coating. I would think the 1.5mm would work the same as the zing-it and I'd probably use the 2.5mm for hammock suspension.

If you want to tie knots the stuff with the poly shell will hold them better. Two things to keep in mind with that. First, the strength of the rope comes from the core so the 3mm cored will be weaker than the 2.5mm regular. Second, there is a reason knots are generally not tied with a dyneema. The base material is ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) which behaves differently than say nylon. The main difference is the bend radius required in knots to maintain the structural integrity. With nylon a 3:1 is good but with a high modulus line like this you need 8:1. The results seem to be that dyneema is significantly weakened by knots. I've tried to find good data on how much this happens but can't find it. If you do decide to use knots figure at best you will have 50% of the rope's strength and it could be as low as 30%.

I hope this helps.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    If you are purchasing Dutchware (he ships internationally I believe) both zing-it and dynaglide are available from him. It might be an idea to help consolidate your purchases and shipping.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB & WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    unsponsored/Incuba
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies

Thank you guys! I wasn't aware that knots could be problematic with this kind of rope so thanks for sharing this insight. Would the same go for the Zingit aswell? Or is there a third choice i should consider?

I didn't think you could get Zingit in Eu. And because my country puts tax and handling fees on everything comming from outside the EU, ordering derectly from Dutch isn't really an option..

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Zing-it is made from the same product, so yes it would have the same issue.

I don't know what to tell you as far as another option. There are two other families of rope out there. You have aramids which are things like kevlar, and vectran which is a liquid crystal aromatic polyester. I really don't know much about either of them but I believe they suffer from similar issues. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. One of the issues with these families of ropes is that they are fairly new so there is not much really good scientific testing data on them.

If you look around the forum you will see quite a few really fun and interesting things you can do with hollow braided ropes such as amsteel. You can make whoopies, soft shackles and continual loops. It might not be the same as tieing knots but there is still something really satisfying in hanging from ropes you spliced.

Ultimately you have to do what works for you. You can tie knots in dyneema ropes but you just need to know that it doesn't like to hold them (poly cover fixes that issue) and degrades the strength (higher starting strength can help with that). Know the limitations of your equipment and happy hanging.

Thank you very much All!

Hammock
    DIY Blue Monster
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    http://ukhammocks.co.uk carries Dutchware, Amsteel and Zing-It.

• + New Posts