Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps

Smile Hanging in a mobile home (safely)

I have an old mobile home at the lake that I wanted to set up for hammocks since my son and I have become full time hangers. The problem is how to hang them without building stands that sat on the floor because I wanted to keep the beds in there for options when we have company. I certainly wasn't going to try to screw an eye bolt into the tiny studs that older mobile homes have. In fact, I wouldn't trust that system in a new house with 2x6 studs because they are still only 1-1/2 inches wide. After talking with my older son who is a master carpenter, we came up with this. I hope it may help some of you since it could be used in any structure that has wood studs. I didn't think to take pictures as we went along so I'll try to explain it looking at the finished product. Actually, it's extremely easy and relatively cheap to build. ($30 or so)

Step 1. Find a stud on each wall you want to use. Then simply center a 2x4 flatways over the trailer stud and screw it to it using 3" deck screws. About 5 or 6 is enough. Then cut another 2x4 about 6" shorter than the first one and screw it to the first 2x4 with 3" deck screws. It should look like the vertical portion seen here.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step 2. Do the same thing on the opposite wall where you want to hang from.

Step 3. You will need to cut 2 2x4s or 1 4x4 that will span between the two walls and set on the lower 2x4s like this:
    [IMG][/IMG]

If you use 2x4s, it is advisable to put a few 1/2" spacers between them to make them 3-1/2" wide. (1.5 +1.5 +.5) That way, they will be the same width as the boards you mounted on the walls. Hopefully you can see what I mean in this pic.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now, all you have to do is drill a pilot hole and screw in your eye bolts as desired. I used chains for the suspension but of course you can use whatever you wish. The finished product:
    [IMG][/IMG]

If you wish to pretty it up a bit, just screw a 1x4 to the bottom of the horizontal piece to cover up the gaps and it will look like a solid beam. Or, you could use a 4x4, but they are hard to find that are not treated, which is just unnecessary expense.

The whole idea of this is simple. The mobile home studs are not strong enough to hold the strain of the hammock, but they are strong enough to hold the 2x4s in position. Force exerted by the hammock is transferred primarily to the horizontal boards which keep the vertical boards from pulling inward. The eye bolts are screwed into the vertical boards which are 3-1/2 inches wide and 3 inches thick. That's plenty of support. I have loaded my ENO DN to right at 400 pounds with this setup and there was no problems at all. If I were going to hang in a regular house, I would consider this as a bombproof option as well.

Sorry I didn't make this easier to understand with pictures in the various stages, but at the time, all I was concerned with was gettin' er done 'cause I didn't want to sleep in a bed!

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Nice job. It should work in a lot of places where folks are not sure of the walls.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Nice...coupla coats of paint, and it will look like original equipment.

And for the record, your tutorial is perfectly clear. Well done.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks great and easy to follow instructions to boot. GREAT job!!!
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    Thanks Guys! Glad you liked it. I think I'm going to do the same thing in the garage for when those East Texas thunderstorms hit and the lights (and a/c) go out. It takes about 10 minutes for a mobile home to get too hot to sleep in.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Looks good and its something that I may need--my daughter is wanting to hang her hammock inside at the house she's renting with friends at college. What size chain did you use? Everything else is very clear and well done--good idea for a mobile home or any other home where you don't want to do something more permanent.

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    Thanks Les Rust. I just used 1/4" chain because I knew that the 'biners I had on there would fit through the links. The chain has a test far higher than is necessary for the job. You could just use a quick link on the eye bolt and then whatever you want for suspension.

If you put this up in a rental and then took it down later, all it would leave is a few small screw holes. That's a pretty easy patch for college. (a lot easier than some of the damage I had to fix. LOL)

Thank you

My father wasn't going to let me hang a hammock in are new mObile home because it wasn't strong enough then I showed him this now he will thx alot I have been a full time hanger for a year now 😄😃😊☺😉😉😍😍😘😚😳😌😥😖😞😞😓😓😏😒😝😝😜😁⛄🐸🐹🐰🐺🐨🐷💡📲📫💊📮📮💣🚬🛀🇷🇺🇺🇸🇰🇷🚑🚉🎫🗽 ⛵✈✈🚀🏫🏥

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Surplus GI pad
    Nice job.

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    Glad it helped! My son has one in his room as well and he loves it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast