DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

Getting ready to make my first hammock

OK, the box arrived from DIY gear supply, and I should have enough time this weekend to sew up what I currently intend to make, a simple gathered end hammock. I am totally new to this hammock business, but sorta competent at sewing. I have 7 yards of their 1.1 ounce ripstop, along with the cord and such I oughta need.

So, I am asking you all to speak up if you have any advice before I dive in! I figure to just sew the simple design like on the DIY gear supplies site. It will be a 2 layer hammock because I plan (at least to start) to use a thinlight pad (1/4 inch and 41 inch wide) I ordered (and received) from Gossamer Gear. I figure that is a good way to get started and see how I like this hammock thing -- then it will be on to underquilts and all of that. Since this is Arizona and things are warming up, this should make for an OK start.

But ... are there other designs I oughta give serious consideration to? I don't want to get into anything too advanced at this point, but I am always ready to listen. My danger is that I can complicate something to the point where I don't get it done in a reasonable time. Anyhow, thanks for reading and for any bits of wisdom.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    DIY Gear supply's instructions are great... I've made 2 from them...

Take your time, and don't be in a rush. Read the instructions through completely, and mark of each step.

It's really pretty easy, just don't be in a rush. Use new sewing needles.

If you are not accustomed to sewing, get some scrap fabric. Oh, use all 7 yards for your hammock, just fold in half... My favorite DIY is 11' long... you won't be disappointed!

Pads are good. If you get ambitious, make a AZ Dejoha Poncho Liner UQ... if you can find a good surplus store, poncho liners are $20 (used) and work great. Instructions are here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=poncho

Welcome to the DIY addiction!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Lynx 20*
    I know Az doesn't have that bad of bug problem but maybe a DIY bug net? Eventually you are going to need a hammock stand because I just moved down to Tucson for the year and there are no trees here. Not that Phoenix was much better.

BW

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Well you going to want a shady spot to hang that hammock, so I'd say after you finish your hammock get yourself a nice tarp to hang under.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

OK, no course changes then

Alright, then I'll just dive in this afternoon.

As for a shady spot, I was just scouting out the options on my east facing
    porch (which is shady except first thing in the morning).

Ultimately though I want to take this thing backpacking -- and assuming that
    hammock camping agrees with me, I'll be looking at sewing a tarp, and almost
    certainly a lighter single layer hammock. I have ideas of hiking the John Muir Trail
    in California later in the year and I will be all about going light.

Believe it or not, I have never needed a bug net in Arizona -- but I sure do in the
    Sierras in California --and it rains there too!

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I've not read the instructions on the site mentioned, but here is how I do my double layers, and by the way, a single layer isn't that much lighter and a double layer offers a little better feel to me than a single layer.

-Hem the 2 long egdes, the full 22' feet or whatever
    -Fold in half. Let's call this the foot end for the description.
    -Sew folded end (foot end), just to hold it in position. You'll roll hem it later for the channel or whipping or whatever method you choose.
    -Sew the two layers together along the long edges. Leave at least 2 "holes" to stick in your pad and adjust it. I prefer one at my shoulder and one at my opposite foot. I sleep feet to the left, so I leave a pad hole at my right shoulder and my left foot. Also, these holes can be too large. Make them about pad width or just a couple inches larger. You can roll/ fold the pad to get it in between the layers. Realize, you are sticking the pad in at an angle, so the pad requires a larger hole than the width of the pad if not rolled /folded. Also, if you convert to a 2/3 or 3/4 under quilt later, the hole at your feet is a good spot to put in a lower leg pad between the layers.
    -IF the two ends match up pretty well from sewing the sides, sew them together, if not, trim one end to match.
    -sew the head end together.
    -roll hem the head end (now both layers together) and foot end for channel or whipping or whatever.
    -Go back to the openings between the layers and add some bar tacks for reinforcement. I've always said next hammock, I was going to add a little scrap or stabilizer in this area when sewing the layers together down the long edges to better hold the bar tacks. Thin nylon doesn't really like bar tacks.

I prefer the Warbonnet Style whipping.

Good luck. It's really a pretty simple project, just a hassle dealing with that much material at once.

I also recommend the Sgt Rock style bugnet, especially if you are going to rarely use it. There were several of us that came up with something very similar to this about the same time. I couldn't find the thread on it but a picture is in SGT rocks gallery. Bug Sock ver 3.1
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...earchid=157124

This is a simple tarp from one panel, pretty minimalist, but you're in AZ
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21172

Don't forget the stuff sacks. My example is overly complex unless you really want an exacty size, square bottom stuff sack.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ize+stuff+sack

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post

I prefer the Warbonnet Style whipping.
    Wow!! Thanks a million for all of that -- I'll do just as you say, and it makes me
    glad I have the pad right here handy so I can at least attempt to get the hole
    length just right for that.

I wouldn't have thought of adding some extra material where I will do the
    bar tacks, so thanks for the tip.

As for Warbonnet Style whipping, at this point I don't have a clue, but I'll try to
    search around and see if I can get the idea. At this point I just plan to sew a
    tube 1 inch wide or a bit less (by folding over 2 inches at each end and hemming),
    threading some cord through there, and letting it all bunch up.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post
    As for Warbonnet Style whipping, at this point I don't have a clue, but I'll try to
    search around and see if I can get the idea. At this point I just plan to sew a
    tube 1 inch wide or a bit less (by folding over 2 inches at each end and hemming),
    threading some cord through there, and letting it all bunch up.
    The gathering technique shown on the Diygearsupply plans is the warbonnet style whipping. It is also described in Knotty's guide here.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts