DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Tarp Thoughts

I am putting together 2 hammock set ups with tarps and the cost is much higher than I expected. So, I'm trying to economize a bit on the tarp by taking a weight penalty. I'm a lightweight backpacker and taking a weight penalty hurts a little, but I figure maybe I'll sleep better in a hammock. I have narrowed the tarps to the gear guide with the 12 foot diagonal or the hennessey hex in PU coated nylon. The two tarps weigh essentially the same. The 2 guide gear tarps will cost me about $50 when you include the shipping. The 2 hennesseys will cost about $120. I believe the weather coverage will be a little better with the hennesseys . Any thoughts from the experts? My plan is to upgrade to silnylon when I can afford it or make my own silnylon when I have the time. I plan to use these for a 10 day hike so saving a few bucks on the guide gear if it leaks, unravels or doesn't provide good rain coverage wont be worth it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Kelty Noah tarps maybe?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    A lot of people have had trouble with this year's GG tarps. Kind of sad since past years' models were so great. I'd say go with the hennesseys or look at Wilderness Logic's tadpole tarps.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

actually ...

I was at WL's site today filling up my shopping cart (two of everything) and by the time I was done the total was right at $500. I am impressed with their stuff and its reasonably priced but I simply am unwilling to pay that much to try something new hoping I'll like it. The Noah's tarp is a good option at about 50 bucks. But, we have one in our Venture crew gear and I've never really liked it for a couple of reasons. The info on the guide gear tarps is also helpful. If the quality is currently not great, I'll skip that option I may also consider the campmor 8x10 or 10x10. I'm buying an 11 foot hammock so I'm shooting for at least 11 feet on the diagonal...the 10x10 is a little too long.

I have a couple of the Hennessy hex tarp and absolutely love them.
    They give you excellent coverage and are high quality.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    This year's Guide Gear tarps were not that bad, though apparently not as good as previous years. I bought two 16 x 16s, added the ridgeline tie-outs, and reinforced the guyline tie-outs. I also seam-sealed it since it didn't come with advertised factory taped seams. Though I haven't had it out in a typhoon, I have had it out in rain and there were no leaks. There is really only one seam that would cause a leak - the center seam. You could restitch that too if you were worried. If you're willing to invest a little time in it, the Guide Gear should be fine.

The Guide Gear has great coverage - I get a lot of driving rain where I live and that was one of the reasons I took a risk on it. You can close the doors and be pretty much safe from anything but fog.

The Hennessy Hex is also a fine tarp, though I dispute the notion you'll get better coverage (no doors) than a Guide Gear 16 x 16. At $60, you'll get plenty of use out of the HH Hex, though at double the cost of the Guide Gear. The quality of the Hennessy Hex out of the box is going to be infinitely better.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    My Kelty Noah's 9x9 when hung on the diagonal runs 120 inches. I love the space it covers.. you could put two chairs, your bag, and your hammock underneath.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StaplesHuskies View Post
    My Kelty Noah's 9x9 when hung on the diagonal runs 120 inches. I love the space it covers.. you could put two chairs, your bag, and your hammock underneath.
    My experiences with hanging tarps on the diagonal is limited, but discouraging. When I hung the 10x10 GT Funky Forest Tarp on the diagonal it acted like a giant sail in 20-30 mph gusts. Coverage was excellent in straight down rain, but I really had a problem staying dry in blowing rain (or snow). Things improved drastically when I made Tyvek Grizz Beaks to close off the ends. However, I'd rather just have a tarp with doors for inclement weather.

A lot of people say that you can get away with a minimalist tarp without doors if you have proper site selection: find a low valley, and angle the tarp so you're catching the wind right. That's poppycock, to me. The trees don't know to align themselves to solve my tarp problems. The driving rain doesn't know that it should only blow from a certain direction or I'll get wet.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    If you don't know if you'll like it, get a good hammock and a big blue poly tarp and hang some to see if you like it. If you do, you have a tarp for covering the lawn mower, and buy a good tarp.

KISS,
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I just received two green GG tarps. Have owned a few white and one camo for a few years.. MUCH cheaper now. Tie outs cheaper, to out re- enforcement is poly tarp material and seam is not taped, you need to seam seal it. BUT they cost about $20 less than they used to. You get what you pay for.
    BTW I love my HH Hex tarp. However on a budget the GG is "good enough" IMHO
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast