Late spring / early summer hang question

Hello all,
    This is my first post as I have yet to sleep in my HH. I purchased a Expedition Zip and am planning a hike in the Smokies in a couple of months. It'll probably be early June. I expect the night temps to be around 50 degrees in the lower elavation where I'll be hangin'. Do I need additonal insulation or is this the temerature "sweet" spot for hammocks? I need to purchase a sleeping bag and want to keep weight in mind. I don't ever plan to camp in sub-40 degree weather.
    I've searched the forums looking for this topic in hopes I'm not creating a duplicate.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I want to make my first hang a success! I've been talking it up to all my "tent" buddies

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    It's really a matter of personal preference mixed in with what you're using as standard insulation. I think 50 is about as low as I've gone. I did that fully dressed in a summer weight bag with a bag liner. I had a foam pad, but I threw it out of the hammock because I found it unwieldy (not because I wasn't cold). In preparation for nights that might be that cold in the future, I got a slightly warmer, synthetic bag, and I picked up the Super Shelter. I haven't had an opportunity to try these out yet, but I decided that it was worth some money to guard against a cold night of sleeping.

If 50 degrees was going to be a regular occurrence, I would invest in some kind of insulation (obviously, because that's what I did), but if it's going to be an anomaly, maybe just investigate your pad options for those nights.

I am a warm sleeper but in a hammock even when it only gets down around 60* I can get a little chilly. I have even gotten cool around 70* when there was a little breeze. I found that a UQ is just about the most important pice of gear I can pack for all seasons.
    I had to stop using my TQ because i got too warm and now use a poncho liner that I converted as my TQ and that keeps me warm even in cold weather.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I agree with Space Weasel, insulation is needed even when you think it is nice and warm. When a breeze blows through and night temps drop a little, you will feel it on your back/butt.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I need to use under insulation even when hanging in the house...temp at 75*. I find it very uncomfortable when my top half is WARM and my back is warm.

I have been using this while saving for an Under Quilt.

Cost to make two...one for me and one for the BOSS was $33.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminerd View Post
    Do I need additonal insulation or is this the temerature "sweet" spot for hammocks?
    I think the "sweet spot" for hammocks is whatever temperature causes you to toss off the blankets at home. I'm happy setting the thermostat near 60 or the upper 50s (my wife won't let it go any lower, even if I was inclined), but I take full advantage of the blankets and the insulating properties of the bed. Keep in mind that with no under insulation, your backside will be close to the external temperature. 50 degrees, fully clothed and moving around is fine, but lying still with all my clothing compressed to almost nothing is not warm.

I would say that mid to upper 60s I'm happy with my bag liner and lying on top of my synthetic sleeping bag. Lower than that and I'm in my bag. And once I'm in my bag, I'm probably wishing for a little more insulation underneath.

So just keep in mind that without insulation, your backside is basically outside.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    I slept in my HH last weekend and the temperature that night was about 50. All I used was an old sleeping bag that I don't know the rating on, but I'd guess 50. My feet did get cold in the bag and my head was cold out of the bag. I think if I had worn some socks and a stocking cap it would have solved my problems.

• + New Posts