Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

40° Incubator...20°?...UGH!

Well, I'm not a very patient person but I'm trying. The long wait time is killing me, allowing too much time for "what if's" and "maybe I should have"...

I have a 40° Incubator +2oz overfill on order. I plan on using it in lows around 40° which is fine, but I don't plan on going back to the tent until it's in the 0°-teens. So the inbetween (25°-40°) has me worried. Maybe I should have gotten the 20° Incubator??? Top insulation is not a concern with my current gear stockpile.

What does everyone think? I know it would be an easy sell here if I change my mind. Just a side note - my online shopping has been getting a little out of control, and this forum has really pushed me over the edge

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    The 20deg will make you much happier in your "in between" temps.

I take my JRB Nest up to the high 50's w/ no problem. Sometimes I open the ends a bit to vent, and could go higher if need be. With that in mind, go 20!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Well, I'm not a very patient person but I'm trying. The long wait time is killing me, allowing too much time for "what if's" and "maybe I should have"...

I have a 40° Incubator +2oz overfill on order. I plan on using it in lows around 40° which is fine, but I don't plan on going back to the tent until it's in the 0°-teens. So the inbetween (25°-40°) has me worried. Maybe I should have gotten the 20° Incubator??? Top insulation is not a concern with my current gear stockpile.

What does everyone think? I know it would be an easy sell here if I change my mind. Just a side note - my online shopping has been getting a little out of control, and this forum has really pushed me over the edge
    Well a 20F model would be great, but as you already have this one ordered:
    Depending on how cold you sleep and what poorly compressing layers you are wearing ( fleece etc), it will probably take you a bit below 40. But for 25 ( or maybe 15-20) just adding a space blanket between your hammock
    and the quilt ( works for me anyway) or a thin pad inside the hammock, along with your worn layers, will probably take you a lot lower than 40. How much lower is hard to say. But for me I would expect another 10-20 degrees colder. Or with a thick enough pad, way colder than that.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have 2 under quilts,,a 40 with a couple of ozs of extra down,,and been to 40 with no problems and a 40 degree quilt on me. But,,I also have a 20 with a extra oz of down for over stuff,,,and will use it when I think it is going to get below 40..Keep the 40 for the summer hikes,,your carrying less,,and later on get a 20 or even 0 for the colder times that you think your going to be hiking. You have a variety of ways to dress,,,increase your bag or top quilt,,and like BillyBob58 says,,many ways to get lower,,think about this,,how low can you get if you have a 40 and a 20 and you stack them for colder weather hikes? 2 quilts stacked will get you very low.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I'd encourage you to keep the 40 Incubator just because I selfishly want to hear a gear review on it. Really though I think you may have a quilt that not a lot is written about and few people have experience with so I'd be interested to hear your experiences and my sense is that it will find a solid place in your kit.

Also bare in mind it would probably be a quick sell if you decided to go with a different quilt.

David

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    I'd encourage you to keep the 40 Incubator just because I selfishly want to hear a gear review on it.
    It's a deal! Hopefully I'll get it before the temps are consistently above 40 at night, that may be difficult. I really want to test it in the 30s in my back yard. Either way, expect a detailed report soon!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    I'd encourage you to keep the 40 Incubator just because I selfishly want to hear a gear review on it. Really though I think you may have a quilt that not a lot is written about and few people have experience with so I'd be interested to hear your experiences and my sense is that it will find a solid place in your kit.

Also bare in mind it would probably be a quick sell if you decided to go with a different quilt.

David
    Hears a quick review for ya , their absolutely, fantastically, wonderfully amazing quilts. Craftsmanship and quality are top notch. Weather it be a 0, 20 or 40 rated Phoenix their all going to keep you toasty warm down to their rated temps and most likely below. I have 3 Phoenixes and another on the way. I cant say enough good things about all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    It's a deal! Hopefully I'll get it before the temps are consistently above 40 at night, that may be difficult. I really want to test it in the 30s in my back yard. Either way, expect a detailed report soon!
    As for taking a 40 down to 30, well that depends on weather or not your a cold or hot sleeper and how much insulation you are wearing to bed. Worst case scenario you get the 40 love it and decide to get a 20. When I carry a Phoenix and or for that matter even when I use my incubator I generally always have a torso section of CCF pad with me (usually my pack frame and sit pad) as well as use underneath my feet to keep them warm or if I get cold from underneath ill slip my pack under my legs and put the pad under my torso. I've never had to do that though but its always a back up. Let us know how it all works out for ya. Enjoy the new gear when you get it.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Hammock Gear quilts aren't necessarily inexpensive, but they are a great value. I have mostly Hammock Gear because they are the least expensive of most of the manufacturers, especially if you take advantage of the Black Friday Sale. I am also impressed with the quality and warmth for as little money I've spent.

I used a 20° Phoenix at temperatures between 0-32°F. I found it to be warm enough that I was sweating and had to vent the underquilt often. A 40° Phoenix won't be that warm, but likely be able to handle freezing temperatures with a little augmentation.

I liked my Crowsnest (Old Phoenix) so much I now have three quilts from Hammock Gear. I'll likely add another this Thanksgiving if the sale is offered again. I'll likely follow that trend for several years. I'm not a shill, and I don't get anything from Hammock Gear except for warmth and a good sale each year.

So, enjoy your 40° quilt, and the 20° quilt that you will one day own. They will be a happy pair.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Apologies to the OP for jumping on the back of this thread, but I am hoping to order a TQ and UQ from HG soon. Can I ask what the Black Friday sale is and when does it happen? Sounds like it could save me some money and lessen the import duty and tax to the UK.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing about the 40* quilt.

Atb

Mark

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roe Ring View Post
    Apologies to the OP for jumping on the back of this thread, but I am hoping to order a TQ and UQ from HG soon. Can I ask what the Black Friday sale is and when does it happen? Sounds like it could save me some money and lessen the import duty and tax to the UK.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing about the 40* quilt.

Atb

Mark
    Black Friday is the day after thanks giving. In the states all the stores the day after thanks giving have these ridiculously big sales. 50% to 75% off TV's, DVD Players, Video Game systems etc. etc. It just to get people out and buy lots of stuff. Hammock Gear has started doing a Black Friday sale. So the day after thanks giving they put all their quilts on sale for X% off. It wont happen untill late November.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast