undecided
    Tarp
    zpacks
    Insulation
    supershelter
    Suspension
    whoopie dutch hook

Cuben Fiber Tarps

Hi I have been interested in cuben fiber tarp set ups for some time now. I think I want to make the switch as I am also a SUL/UL backpacker and this would lighten my pack some. I have looked at the options I can find on the internet, and found HG, ZPacks, HMG, and I guess Lawson stopped as did OES, but not for sure.
    Has anyone felt the .51 oz is not holding up well, some of the makers are using the .75 range cuben.
    I have considered DIY but concerned about the learning curve with that much material.
    I have been an active Hammock backpacker for about two years now, started the switch after recovery from broken back and found I was more comfortable in a hammock off the ground and not looked back. Do a lot of my hiking in north east TN and Smokies area.
    Want to also say thanks to this forum for all the great info over the years.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The tarp I made out of CT.6K.08 is going strong, after much use and abuse. It's .47 oz., I think. When I've really beat it up, the polyester coating has suffered, but the dyneema threads have withstood everything short of stabbing with ski poles. Repairs have been easy. I chose CT1K.18 for a DIY hammock and will use it for my next tarp. It's about .75 oz. (Note: the ".18" part of the product name means that it has a slightly thicker polyester layer. I hope this will give it extra abrasion resistance.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I have the HG one. I set it up when I got it in the fall here in Texas. I've only taken it down a few times. It held up in multi-inch rain and snow, and my hammock gear all stayed dry. (Even when the winds pulled up a few of the stakes). While the recent tornado only came within about 5 miles of the HG tarp, it held up to the winds, hail, tree-debris all falling on it. There are some brambles grouwing around where it is in the yard, yet the tarp has not gotten an abraisions from it.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    WV - does the wearing of the polyester coating lessen the waterproofness? I am totally intrigued by cuben (especially the .75) but cannot say that it has me convinced of its durability. I have had silnylon tarps last years with almost no wear. Is this durabilty found in cuben?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I have the HG one. I've only taken it down a few times.
    Won't the UV from the sun cause it to prematurely break down?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Dragon,
    The polyester coating is so thin that abrasion can put holes in it. However it takes a lot of rubbing or a sharp object to do so. Repairs are so much easier with cuben than other materials, that it's not such a big deal. YMMV, but I have no hesitation about using this material. I doubt that I'll make any more silnylon tarps.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I read every report I could find on durability of cuben and when WV posted the report of the guy and his wife hiking the AT with cuben for months,,it was all I needed to have a tarp made and buy one..After getting it,,I really think it will take all the abuse I can give it,,and like Shug says,,poke a hole in it by accident,,of which you can also do to silnylon,,its easier to repair on the trail with alittle duc tape and your good to go till you get home and make a better repair,,and you can't do that with silnylon without maybe needle and thread or ordering special tape and repair kit off web. I can definitely see the abuse you can give cuben and alot of others before I bought are out there using it and how many bad reports do we have being posted...you just don't see any negativeism from the cuben users other than price is higher than any other tarp being made from other materials. When you get the tarp..first thing you notice and hits you in the face is size of package and size of what your going to carry,,then lightess,,when you pick it up...sooo light..what you loose in size of item in pack,,make it up with more room to pack your down items in pack,,or just gives you more opportunity to down size your pack to put gear in. Overall,,in the long run,,price of cuben,,does justify the packweight your going to loose,,for me, it was 17.5 ozs less wieght to carry as well as 5-6 more stakes ,,,so figure 20 ozs total? or there abouts.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    my .51? tarp is 4-5 yrs old now still ok. the price/yd2 is hi, but the secret is DIY! it is easy to work with. I did no sewing with the tarp about 9/11 ft. the edges are left raw, they are by definition rip stop! The tie outs can be made with a 6 in /1in gorilla tape doubled back on it self, tape-cuben-tape, put a small 1/4 in carbon fiber tube in the fold back and put the tie outs through the tape , this will distribute the stress. I use the double sided tape 1/2 in 3 M I think, to bond the 2 pieces of cuben together. you can make a tarp in less than an hour if you have all the materials. the price is competetive in DIY. and the wgt is ridiculous gnome

Hammock
    undecided
    Tarp
    zpacks
    Insulation
    supershelter
    Suspension
    whoopie dutch hook
    gnome do you have and pictures of how you your tie outs?

Hammock
    undecided
    Tarp
    zpacks
    Insulation
    supershelter
    Suspension
    whoopie dutch hook
    Here is a link to some compiled threads from BPL http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...74.171.105.169, I am new to how to navagate in the forum and lost the threat I posted. I appreciate the replies and help. More peoples input appreciated. than you WV as well I think I will do better next time. leaning towards a DIY by the look of the post. Still hesitant thought.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast