Tarp
    BPWD 9x9 RECT
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix +DIYTQ
    Suspension
    WBBB Stock Straps
    Images

Claytor Suspension KISS Option

I just got this in the mail a couple of days ago and wanted to experiment with the stock suspension without investing much time or effort, basically the KISS method, so I thought I'd post a couple of pictures. All I've done is secure 2 descending rings on one end of the strap via a bowline, then wrap the other end around the "tree" and then use the rings as in other popular configurations. The only extra hardware needed is the rings, and it's very easy to adjust (note these are not climbing grade rings, just something I picked up at the hardware store, but I suspect they will do the job). Don't even need tree straps because the stock Claytor suspension is plenty long enough for all but the burliest of trees:

This is how the rings attach. The bowline knot is on the left, and the adjustable end is on the right, with the slip hitch securing.

This is showing how it would look going around the tree, note in a real setup it would be wrapped at least once around, but I have a hook on the other side which keeps the strap from sliding down.

And the other side... you can also see how the bug netting is kept off your face using the attached string / shock-cord and makeshift spreader (in this case, a drumstick).

-Sap
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum. -- O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle/Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rings / Whoopies
    Images
    I did a couple of overnight hangs when I first got my Claytor just using the webbing straps it came with - they worked fine, but it was in our dry season in Oz when there was no chance of rain. I later swapped these for a set of whoopies with an attached drip ring at each end - works fantastic, cuts down on weight, and through using a trunk strap / carabiner system, no likelihood of a knot failure. I used the whoopie / drip system during extreme hangining conditions in a 2 week trek in remote Borneo - the whoopies did bind at one stage (very easy to remedy) and this may have been to do with dipping them in premethrin insecticide before I left home.

Either way - with standard webbing or an aftermarked suspension system, the Claytor is a fantastic hammock, and one that I favour over my Clark Tropical or Hennessy Deep Jungle (although the Hennessy is an extremely close second).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavoAnth View Post
    I did a couple of overnight hangs when I first got my Claytor just using the webbing straps it came with - they worked fine, but it was in our dry season in Oz when there was no chance of rain. I later swapped these for a set of whoopies with an attached drip ring at each end - works fantastic, cuts down on weight, and through using a trunk strap / carabiner system, no likelihood of a knot failure. I used the whoopie / drip system during extreme hangining conditions in a 2 week trek in remote Borneo - the whoopies did bind at one stage (very easy to remedy) and this may have been to do with dipping them in premethrin insecticide before I left home.

Either way - with standard webbing or an aftermarked suspension system, the Claytor is a fantastic hammock, and one that I favour over my Clark Tropical or Hennessy Deep Jungle (although the Hennessy is an extremely close second).
    Good info, Davo! Interesting bout the Whoopies binding. I see that the ratings are close, but can you say what gives you the slight preference for the Claytor?

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle/Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rings / Whoopies
    Images
    Hi BillyBob - I did a 'cook-off'' between the Claytor and Hennessy when I was getting ready for Borneo - basically hung them both in the back yard on a balmy tropical night in the tropics (ie high temperature and humidity and minimal wind), and then spent the night doing 30 mins or so in each hammock while judging mesh airflow, temperature etc. The Claytor only just pipped the Hennessy, as I personally found it just a tad cooler and slightly better airflow. As it turned out, it was actually quite cool in the Sarawak mountains, and 2 of the other trek members used Hennessy's, so I could have just as well taken the Hennessy Deep Jungle and really trialled it (I am a dedicated Claytor fan just due to size and comfort).

Re the Whoopies, it was the first issue I'd ever had with them, and I put it down to the extreme conditions. At one stage even the colour of the whoopies was coming off onto my hand as I tried to free it from binding (this ended up being a 2 person job...which defeats the rationale of using them in the first place). But I've used them without any probs on 2 of my hammocks, so I'll keep with them and see how they go over the next year's camping season.

I'll be using the Hennessy this year a lot, as I am more than happy with it, but I'll also be using the Claytor just as much.

Doing the above trial, I also bought a Clark Tropical 2 due to it's reputation, however I don't like hammocks that touch the sides of my body, and I couldn't keep the Clark from closing in. This said there were 3 Clarks also used on the trek - 2 of the owners seemed happy, and the third will keep his Clark but wants a modification to try and get the sides out off his torso for added comfort.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Trying to learn... heard the rope idea but shamwow... that is an interesting KISS solution

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123