Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First UQ, what temp rating?

I'm looking to purchase my first UQ.
    I normally backpack in temps ranging from 30 - 80 at night.

What would you recommend as my first UQ purchase based on temperature rating (without consideration of manufacturer and length)?

Thank you all for any information you can provide.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    If you stay on the higher side of 50 - probably best to stay with a 40 degree since that is where you're playing mostly and you save the unnecessary weight. If you are across the board equally or plan on pushing that 30, I would go with something that gives you that versatility with not much con. A 20 for me, gives me the best of both worlds with some venting on the warmer days. And I would most likely keep it a 3/4 or 2/3 length.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I would go with a 3 season UQ as that would cover all of the expected ranges that you currently camp in. A 20 degree UQ will work on a 70 degree night, but a 40 degree UQ won't be pleasant on a 30 degree night. You most likely won't need any type of UQ on an 80 degree night.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd figure out my lowest temperature and then take another 10 degrees off that. It's easier to vent a UQ that's a little hot as opposed to trying to get warm in one that's rated for warmer than what you ended up in.

For what you said, I'd also start with a 20* UQ. I can use my 0* UQ up to the 50's. I bought a few 2/3 or 3/4 length ones at first. However, now I only use full length HG ones (Incubators). I found that it was too much fussing to get warm in the shoulder season with the less than full length ones. There are several good vendors here.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I am looking at roughly the same temperature range and think I am going to go with a 3/4 20*. I don't like being cold, want to keep the weight down, and have tried sleeping with my pack under my lower legs and found that to be comfortable. I already carry a sit pad as well for additional insulation.

If I thought I would be out the winter months, I think I would go with a full length UQ.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Claytor JH & NN
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    LL UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    ws-straps
    I am camping in basically the same temperature range and settled on a 20 deg UQ and also a 20 deg TQ. This is working very well for me. So far I have only been down to the lower 40s range, so I don't know the lower limit of comfort I can expect. But, I think I'm good for at least another 15 degrees and possibly more.
    Last edited by Crocodile Sanders; 04-22-2012 at 16:21.
    Hangin' round beats on the ground...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bob

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I have a 40 degree 3/4 Phoenix UQ. If it's going to be close to (uh... cooler... cooler than) that I supplement by wearing poly-pro long underwear and put my pack under my feet. I also carry a mylar "emergency blanket" thinking that I could put it between the hammock and UQ for extra warmth.

Has anyone tried this and does it help?
    Last edited by CrankyOldGuy; 04-22-2012 at 17:51. Reason: because I don't proof read very well
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsmith View Post
    I'm looking to purchase my first UQ.
    I normally backpack in temps ranging from 30 - 80 at night.

What would you recommend as my first UQ purchase based on temperature rating (without consideration of manufacturer and length)?

Thank you all for any information you can provide.
    The answer comes from second sentence. Get a 20F UQ so you are surely comfortable @30F. My experience of hammocking is that I am comfortable in colder weather at night than I would have considered for being on the ground. Frozen ground is just not an issue. That's major.

If you have that experience, why wish you had more quilt? A 20F UQ compresses to the size of a cantalope, 2 liters, and costs just $40 more.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    The answer comes from second sentence. Get a 20F UQ so you are surely comfortable @30F. My experience of hammocking is that I am comfortable in colder weather at night than I would have considered for being on the ground. Frozen ground is just not an issue. That's major.

If you have that experience, why wish you had more quilt? A 20F UQ compresses to the size of a cantalope, 2 liters, and costs just $40 more.
    Well put, I agree.

As I mentioned in a couple other threads, I recently tested my 40° Incubator +2oz overfill. It was about 37° and 39° for a low these two nights. The Incubator performed flawlessly at these temps, but like DemostiX says I think it would be wise to get the 20° UQ and not worry about pushing it if you'll see 30° often.

However, if it's only a few nights each year seeing low 30's, I would get the 40° and just wear a fleece or supplement some other way. Maybe a small piece of mylar for under your butt/torso as a backup ($4.99 windshield shade). That may not even be necessary. I'm hoping for another night around 30° to test my Incubator further.

Hammock
    DangerBird72 /W.L. Light owl
    Tarp
    4S Cuben/WL OMW
    Insulation
    Fronkey made20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whooooopie...

Is 20 degree to much for summer nights?

Just wondering is opening the ends up might cool things down a little?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast