DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images

Talking Modular Hammock Sock

GENERAL DESCIPTION:

A waterproof/windproof sleeve designed to act as a second, removable layer for a single-layer, cinched-end hammock. Instead of a single piece, I created three pieces, Sock, bug net, tarp that can be used in any combination.

DETAILS AND NOTES

- The hammock, ridgeline and suspension are drawn through the sock from one end to the other.

- The ends of the sock are cinched with 3/32" shock cord and cord lock around the hammock's suspension just beyond the fabric of the hammock. The extra shock cord is then wound tightly around the last 2" of the sock to create a waterproof seal and hold the sock taut on the suspension line.

- A 24"x60" opening, located at the top-center of the sock, allows entering the hammock and provides ventilation. The edges of this hole can be adjusted by means of 3/32" shock cords that run through channels on the left and right sides.

- The sock is part of a versatile system that includes the sock, a bug net and a hex tarp.

- All three pieces use the same shock cord cinch system to attach to the hammock's suspension and may be used individually or in any combination.

- Because all pieces attach to the hammock's suspension line, hammock, sock, bug net and tarps may all be stored together in one set of snakeskins.

- The tarp is designed so that it can also be attached to an independent ridgeline to provide more head room.

- The tarp measures 65'x120", which is large enough to provide protection from the elements for the top opening of the sock and some additional protection to the side.

- The tarp can be set up in "porch" mode to allow a minimalist awning when the user is sitting in the hammock like a chair.

- Each of the trap's four side corners has a small pocket that is used to store tie-outs made from 3/32" shock cord attached to 10' of mason line.

- The pockets are large enough to hold small stones to weight the sides down when staking the sides is inconvenient (ground is solid stone or too far away, as in hanging high in a tree) or unnecessary (little or no wind).

- Loops of silnylon are sewn to each side corner to allow the tie-out to be attached. The loops are large enough for the tips of hiking poles to be inserted for holding the tarp sides up in "porch" mode.

- The bug net is shape of the sock, but is just a few inches bigger on all dimensions and has its opening on the bottom. Because of the form-fit design, the edges of the hammock seal the bugnet, but make getting in and out easy.

- Sock and tarp are made from 9 yards of 65" wide 1.3 oz silnylon. Bug net is made from 6 yards of noseeum netting.

- Sock measures 108"x38"and weighs 7.75 oz. Edit: The entire kit: hammock, suspension, sock, bugnet, tarp (w/ tieouts and stakes) and snakeskins weighs in at 25 oz.

- The sock is deep enough that it leaves @3" of space on the sides and bottom of the hammock to allow for insulation.

- Insulation can be attached in the usual manner within the sock or the sock can be used to support it.

- Pads can be used effectively between the hammock and sock by tightening the shock cord on the top opening to reduce the 3" gap between the hammock and sock.

- Natural materials such as dry leaves or hay can be laid inside the sock for emergency insulation.

Sorry, but I can't seem to figure out how to attach pictures in this post.
    Please check my gallery for the picts. I still need to add pics of the bug net.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    yeah... so, I'm having trouble posting the pics for this. I'll keep trying.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    mrmike - really want to see some pictures of this! Hope you figure it out.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Yes, I have found it of interest also. Look forward to pics.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    OK, pics have been posted to my gallery.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images

two points to work on

I'm pretty happy with this project, especially now that I've made the bugnet. There's just two things I want to iron out:

1. I made the ends of the tarp with channels, 12" long, so that I could cinch it around the hammock suspension. I see now, that I don't need so much and that the extra bunching up is preventing the tarp from stretching tight. You can see it in the pictures. That's an easy fix.

2. The sock and tarp are made of silnylon, which doesn't breathe. My idea for this sock was that all the pieces would bind to the hammock suspension. The problem is that when the tarp is secured over the sock with the sides hanging down, there's no ventilation (and about 3 minutes of air - tops!) . Now, "porch" mode is nice when the weather is nice, but in a raging storm or high winds, I want to be able to "batten down the hatches".

There are two options that I see. The first is to find a way to keep the sides of the tarp held off of the sides of the sock. The second is to ventilate at each end, but that means water can run down the suspension, which is probably OK because the sock is watertight. The third is to use a separate ridgeline for the tarp, but that means the tarp is a separate piece. Not the worst thing, but it's a compromise on the original picture.

I would appreciate any ideas you folks might have and will answer any questions. If you would like to see more pics, I can do that (in my gallery).

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Well, those as some really creative ideas. I'll have to play around with them and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    To insert thumbnails that link to your pics:
    -find your image in the gallery
    -underneath you'll see a field titled "BB Image Code"