Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

ENO vs Grand Trunk vs Kammok

OK, with the addition of a Grand Trunk Double, I thought that I'd do a brief review of these three hammocks. All were purchased new by me.

The ENO double lists for about $65. The Grand Trunk double lists for about $65. Both of these are available from retail stores and the internet. The Kammock Roo lists for $99 and is only available through their website at this time.

I found that the carabiners on the ENO double were identical to those spec'd on the Grand Trunk Parachute double. Both were basically steel with a coating. The coating tarnished in the wet weather and wore through quickly on my first ENO. On the other hand, the Kammok came with aluminum wiregate carabiners. Not quite as large or hefty as the other two. Rather light and strong; in other words, a definite upgrade!

The whipped ends of all three had various pieces of heavy rope to hold them shut, which I promptly changed out for whoopies. However, when I went to switch out the Kammok one, I found that they had actually sewn the double loop around the biner closed, so that it wouldn't come apart. I had to cut this heavy thread to undo it. This showed a lot more attention to detail on this part by Kammok.

The next thing that I checked was the stitching. All three hammocks had a central panel color with bands sewn along the outside edges. All three hammock manufacturers put a triple stitch in to bond the outside fabric edges to the inside panel fabric.

I found that the ENO and GT both had a single stitch line sewing up the outside edge of the additional fabric. It was folded over twice with a single stitch put in. On the other hand, Kammok went and did a heavy duty triple stitch along the outside edge of the outside fabric.

According to factory specs, the ENO Double was 9'4" by 6'8"; the GT Double was 10'6" by 6'6"; the Kammok was said to be 10' by 5'7". When I put up the three hammocks together in various ways, I found that the ENO double proved to be the shortest. The GT Double was the next longest. The Kammok was longer than the other two, despite the manufacturers specs. I believe that this is due to GT including their rope in the overall length calculation. Checking the width, I found the Kammok was the narrowest. The ENO double was about 6" wider and the GT double was about another 6" wider than the ENO.

The three manufacturers all had bags with the hammocks. The GT was a basic stuff sack with a draw string. The ENO was a stuff sack with draw string and it had a quick connect buckle that synched down to compress the bag. The Kammok had a stuff sack with a draw string. Above that was a roll top closure which then tucked down into two quick connects that synched down to compress the bag. I'm not sure if it had a DWR, but it didn't feel like silnylon.

Finally, the biggest difference was the fabric. Both the ENO and the GT come in a range of color combinations. The Kammok was available in only one color; however, I see that they now offer a total of four colors. The ENO has a very soft nylon material. The GT has a similar material, which does not feel as soft as the ENO's. The Kammok has a nylon ripstop material, which appears heavier duty than the other two. It actually has a rather unique triangle shaped ripstop fabric.

On the scale with the carabiners removed and the ends switched out for identical whoopies, I found that the ENO came out at roughly 17.5 oz, the GT was about 18.5 oz and the Kammok was about 20.5 oz.

On a side note, the ENO came with no straps. Their nylon Slap Strap Pros are infamous for stretching during use. The GT came with ropes; however, I immediately put them aside. The Kammok came with no straps, either. However, I purchased the poly "Python" straps ($30). They were basically a poly strap folded in half and sewn every 6". They cost about $5 more than the ENO Slap Straps Pro. I found the Kammok Python straps to be too heavy for backpacking (hence, switching out to whoopies), but they are perfect for car camping. Very easy to use, adjustable, and they don't stretch.

In use, I found that the width of the hammock didn't matter as much as the effect that the length had. To me, the Kammok allowed the best diagonal lay & most comfort. This was followed up by the GT and then the ENO.

All three hammocks are nice in use. I would not have a problem purchasing any of the three again. But, given the details listed above, if I was in the market for only ONE hammock, it would be the Kammok, despite the extra $34 cost. The stitching was higher quality all the way around, the fabric was more comfortable feeling and cooler looking, the carabiners were of a higher quality, and the stuff sack was nicer. Above all, I found the comfort of the Kammok superior to the other two.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DangerBird 72, GT Double, SBP, UL
    Tarp
    Kelty & Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Great review!
    <a href="http://www.curtmoorephotos.com/new-window.php" target="_blank">Curt's Photos</a>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/scubacat217?feature=mhee/new-window.php" target="_blank">Curt's YouTube Channel</a>

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Agreed! That was a fantastic quick summary of 3 very popular parachute hammocks! I have been eyeballing a Kammock, though I need another hammock like another hole in the head... lol

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Nice summary! Thanks for posting. Great idea to compare them all side-by-side.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Very nice review and especially the side by side by side photos. Timely as well as I'm in the market to set up my nephew; a cute little guy who is 6'2"
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have the ENO DN & the Grand Truck Double Parachute and find both of them to be very comfortable hammocks for my 6ft2. I did find the ENO fabric to have a lightly softer/silkeyer
    feeling than the Grand Trunk.

Like you, I changed out the suspension on the hammocks for some straps.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Nice review , thanks.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

A little late to the party but, thanks for the great review! Especially since I'm looking at getting one of these.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Good review, I have an ENO double and a GT Double, and I prefer the GT. Haven't tried the Kammok though. Thanks for the review.
    "No whining in the woods"

Ive been pretty disappointed with my Kammok - Ive already had to replace a carabiner because it bent and the cord at the gathered end - its core is splitting out in 2 places. Ive gotten minimal response from their customer service folks. I wont be buying more of their products to say the least. I wish I wouldve gone with a Trek Light Gear or an ENO. I regret my Kammok purchase.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast