Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Superfly/Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Borrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Boomer, thanks for taking the time to do this review and provide such great details. This is exactly what I need to help me make my next hammock purchase.
    So many trees, so little time!

DJ

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I got a Kammok Roo in "sahara" a few days ago. It's my first hammock and I've been enjoying it, as has my wife. I spent the night in our backyard on Saturday night and felt great in the morning.

As far as the hammock itself, I can't compare it to any other because I haven't had any other (or even tried them.) However, I can comment on the quality - it is a very well-built piece of gear. It just *feels* high-end, from the stuff sack all the way to the seams.

The color of the fabric is not what it looks like in the pics on their site. And that's a good thing. It's definitely more of a khaki-ish tan, the pics make it look about 20% lighter than it looks in reality.

The Kammok itself is quite large. I'm a big guy and even when am diagonal, I have enough room to use the gray stripes as an arm rest. And I didn't get bit through the fabric by any mosquitos or yellow jackets.

The Python straps are really nice. Obviously, I haven't hung a hammock any other way, but putting it up or taking it down takes very little time and the straps give me confidence that they'll hold up to my 280 pounds + stuff.

Neither the hammock or the straps showed any sort of stress with me *and* my 70 pound Labrador on board.

All-in-all, a quality experience. I'm will buy Kammok products in the future. I can't wait to see their new stuff - I've heard rumors about a pretty sweet rain fly.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Thanks. Customer service is important.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here's a photo of my Kammok from this summer. It's got whoopies and a ridgeline added...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just read about the WOOT hammock, which appears to have several of the features of the others that I liked. It might be a great start for a best buy starter:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=63735

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    I was looking at kammock but didn't want to fart around with all the mods like I did with my Henessy. I did just order a Northwoods Hammock and while they are new and don't offer much for accessories at least they have whoopies already installed. I have yet to get it. Should be this week. I do like the Kammock ripstop and think it is probably better for 3 dimensional stretch.

nice review

nice review, thanks

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    FYI, Kammok just updated their Roo. It's the SAME PRICE as before on Amazon or their site; however, it now comes with two climbing weight rated carabiners (custom designed for hammocking & patent pending. http://www.kammok.com/product-p/kc-010053.htm

It comes with 2 dyneema, "Racer Slings" for the closed loop ends. It looks like they've also put several gear tie outs along the edges.

I haven't purchased one or seen one yet. Look at Amazon or here: http://www.kammok.com/Kammok-Roo-Cam...ck-p/11001.htm

It sounds like they've been listening to their customers and are updating their products accordingly!

Also, when you purchase one of their hammocks, they donate a mosquito net or health education to someone in Africa.
    Last edited by Boomer; 03-18-2013 at 11:24.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

New Roo

Kammok recently sent me the newest Roo to review (free). I spent a few days looking it over. As I said earlier, the newest Roo is the same price as the old one. It has several upgrades that make it clearly worth the money.

1) Kammok removed the gathered end rope in favor of two climbing rated loops, which they term "Racer Slings". They are basically a flat continuous loop made from dyneema 'ribon' that is bar tacked. The racer slings can be used with a carabiner or used for other applications as needed. These are now easier to remove, if you choose to switch out to whoopie slings.

2) Kammok designed their own carabiner with the hammock in mind, naming it the "Kanga Claw". They have apparently applied for a patent on the design. It is much beefier than the old carabiners, in that they are now rated to about 5000 pounds, instead of 250 lbs. They also have a unique wire gate that separates the interior into 2 'chambers'. This keeps the hammock straps (or whatever line you use) in one half of the carabiner, also keeping the pressure in-line with the strongest axis.

3) Kammok added three 'gear loops' down each edge of the hammock. There is on on each side at the mid-point and then one on each side about 18" down from the gathered end. The first thing that came to mind when I saw these was the convenience of attaching my UQ loops to them to keep my UQ from shifting.

Overall, I am really impressed with the upgrades at the same price point as before. They have kept the original design of the Kammok, using the 'Lunar-weave' fabric and gear stuff bag. As stated in my initial review, the unique fabric, the attention to detail (stitching), and the size/proportions were what put the Kammok ahead of the ENO Double Nest and the Grand Trunk Double Parachute. This was with the caveat that you would be spending more money up front. While this still holds true, the value has increased significantly. You could easily spend $12 to $20 on the two carabiners alone.

The people at Kammok have been listening to their customers since the original Kick-Start a couple of years ago. They have really put together a nice product, using some innovative ideas. I believe that if you are looking for a high quality hammock, this is the one to beat. A nice bonus is that they are one of those companies that think globally. When you purchase from them, every purchase donates money to third world charities.

I have the Python Straps and they are definitely nicer than either the ENO Slap Straps or the Slap Strap Pros (both nylon and both stretch). I think that the ENO Atlas Straps were actually a copy of these. ENO was told for years that their slap straps should have been made from poly, instead of nylon. It took Kammok coming out with a better product for ENO to step it up. The problem with the Python straps is that they run a bit heavy for backpacking. Maybe Kammok could use the material that their Racer Slings are made of for straps?

A couple of things that they could do to really improve their appeal, would be to offer a wider color choice (Magenta, Purple, Green and Camo immediately come to mind) and for them to branch out to an actual camping hammock (some kind of netting and a tarp).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boomer; 03-28-2013 at 22:53.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest/Mylar
    Suspension
    Paracord/Atlas
    I am 5'5" and tried an Eno DoubleNest thinking the size would fit me well and returned it the next day. I found I just could not lay flat in it no matter what length ridge line I used. The only way I could lay flat in that hammock was if my feet were hanging off. Even like this it felt like it was stretching me in awkward ways. Luckily, I found a Grand Trunk Double on sale and this hammock fit me like a dream. I even hang it with a little extra sag to fit my eno profly and eno guardian net and can get a comfy and flat lay. It passed the indoor sleep test like a dream and I look forward to taking it out on the trail this year. I'll be using the new Eno Atlas straps to replace my paracord 'tree strangler' this year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast