This is a response to a personal message I received from Bluejeans. I'm going to paste the message here:

"Been in the Deam for last 20 years and familiar with the ground you were discussing.

I would really appreciate a short reply discussing what items you wished you would have liked to have had in your pockets that day to aid in your rescue.

I commend you for having the courage to make the video and I truly hope it is cathartic for you. Other then under estimating the weather/boat conditions in my opinion you made more good decisions then bad and did a fine job of rescueing yourselves. Most importantly you never gave up and persevered through a difficult and life threatening situation. Well done!"

Great questions, and yet another opportunity to open a dialogue.....

Here's the video:

For me, right now in my thought process, there are TWO things I would have done differently:

1. I should have have suvival equipment on my body while I was kayaking. If my equipment had sunk or had not been washed up on shore, I would have had a much tougher time getting out of my situation. I'm buying a new PFD with lots of pockets and D rings. That won't happen to me again. I got lucky this time.

2. My equipment was in waterproof bags..... my friends gear was not. All of his cloths, equipment, and bags were totally soaked. Me having dry equipment for myself was good, but in my situation it was only half a solution. It made things difficult because we had to prioritize HIS needs for the situation. I based my decision to walk out on the fact that he was wet, cold, and in moderate hypothermia and it would keep us both warm and motivated knowing we were being proactive about our situation. Not preparing my partner for submersion was a huge mistake.

I won't pretend to be an expert at survival, but this experience HAS changed the way I will do business in the future, especially when it's other's people's life on the line, and not just my own.

Bluejeans question about what I would have had in my pockets:

Firesteel
Knife
Emergency blanket
Compass and waterproof map
Headlamp or flashlight

All of those things aided me in my hike out, and are in no particular order. If I hadn't had a compass and headlamp, I could not have hiked out in the dark. Our maps turned into pulp, and we were only able to view them twice before they mushed themselves up too much to be useful. Without the Firesteel to make a fire I would not have been able to dig in if needed. Read up on the 10 essentials for survival, and make sure they are on your persons when you go out. I will from now on.... Again, I got lucky when it all washed up on shore...... Lucky. If those things hadn't washed up on shore, we would have been in real trouble.

Thanks again to Bluejeans and everyone for all the positive messages.