Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I made one of these back in the day. My reflection... The concept is really cool. But I found it less than practical. Perhaps it was my execution but the gathered end mode was far too narrow and tight to be comfortable. I was forced into the dreaded banana position. The bridge function was quite usable and comfortable. All in all it was a neat project, but speaking only for myself, not one I would do again.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    Actually refreshing Grizz, I haven't seen this thread until this morning. Are you still using this set-up, and what kind of reflections you have on it's use, comfort, and developement? A nutso DIY'er wants to know!
    One of my design principles for this was that when in gathered end mode it really looked like a gathered end hammock...thinking ahead to the presentation where in the original thread I came on as though I had shifted away from bridge hammocks to Claytor inspired hammocks. It was narrower than I like in a gathered end, and I can definitely feel on my legs the seam from the pad pocket, because to be on the diagonal you've got to cross that. So for _this_ particular hammock, the real use for gathered end mode is when in heavy weather you want to close the tarp sides in close, and mostly use it in bridge mode, in which it is very very comfortable.

I think it possible (and it remains on a long list of projects to try some day) to embed webbing in an existing gathered end hammock to go to bridge mode if and when you wanted, but get the full width benefit of the gathered end. Some work needed to make it aesthetically pleasing, but I think it could work.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    One of my design principles for this was that when in gathered end mode it really looked like a gathered end hammock...thinking ahead to the presentation where in the original thread I came on as though I had shifted away from bridge hammocks to Claytor inspired hammocks. It was narrower than I like in a gathered end, and I can definitely feel on my legs the seam from the pad pocket, because to be on the diagonal you've got to cross that. So for _this_ particular hammock, the real use for gathered end mode is when in heavy weather you want to close the tarp sides in close, and mostly use it in bridge mode, in which it is very very comfortable.

I think it possible (and it remains on a long list of projects to try some day) to embed webbing in an existing gathered end hammock to go to bridge mode if and when you wanted, but get the full width benefit of the gathered end. Some work needed to make it aesthetically pleasing, but I think it could work.

Hey Griz, im new here to the forum, but had thought of this concept and love it!.... now I didnt actually think it wasnt thought of before, it just came to me a few weeks ago actually, and after reading some stuff im thinking, the hammock really neeeds to be long enough, so when in gathered mode it wont make you feel like a pea in a pod, so im thinking, the tarp might need an adjusting point too... like at the ridge, it could be expandable when your using bridge style, and fold/tuck under when in gathered mode... somehow, im thinking this is very doable... just a bit of planning and ya have the best of both worlds.... happy hanging my friend!.....Chris

p.s..... this probable wont be for the weight contious folks, but never the less... still a neat idea!
    Last edited by dragon383; 09-02-2013 at 20:33. Reason: more things thought of....lol

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    This is exactly what I plan on trying with my $25 Yukon Outfitter Woot.com gathered hammock!

Your guide to making a bridge hammock has inspired me to cut it up.

Russ

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    Awesome! Wow what a professional looking project! Cool solution to battening down the hatches for storms. A+

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    This thread is so fascinatingthat I cannot fathom why it has lain dormant in the HF archives for almost three years. Arise, necropost...

Grizz, sir, your innovation and skills at creative problem solving never cease to amaze.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    tablecloth for now
    Tarp
    Harbor Freight
    Insulation
    Blue Foam
    Suspension
    Web & Mule Tape
    Wow, very cool thread

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch bkl & whoopi
    I just stumbled across this for the first time. This is a really cool idea and write up.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Grizz is known as "Professor Hammock" for a reason!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast