WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thermoflect UQ

I am planning to make a UQ out of a thermoflect blanket. What is a good source for shock cord?

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heywoodja View Post
    I am planning to make a UQ out of a thermoflect blanket. What is a good source for shock cord?
    Try DIYgearsupply.com - I get all of my DIY stuff from there.
    Good luck, can't wait to see pictures!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Walmart Poly
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You can also check out www.supplycaptain.com I get all of my shock cord and parachute cord from them. They are very fast with shipping and customer service. They have a variety of colors also.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks but I already ordered from DIYSupply. Now I just need some time off from Cubscouting to come up with a plan.

I have seen a an acronym UC does that stand for undercover? What is the difference between UC and UQ.

My main goal is to build a UQ to keep me warm into the mid 50's during summer canoe trips to the BWCA. I have a 3/4 JRB grey lock I can use if it get much colder than that but would prefer not to bring it or put it up if I don't have to.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    UC = Under Cover, often just a waterproof, windproof, breathable layer of fabric. Used to prevent spash-up from heavy rain and convective heatloss from cold wind. The dri-ducks poncho is a choice item for this.

This is off topic I just want to mention...

I would, follow the D.I.Y IX UQ instruction in he sticky thread. Making the outter layers of calendered DWR ripstop & prerforated T-flect.

The exact amount of perforation needed has yet to be determined. I don't think it takes much, and you don't want to weaken the T-flect too much. The nylon will resist wind despite the perforation in the T-flect, which will allow vapor to escape.

constructed in this manor it should easilt get you down to 40*F (if it was all IX it would do that.) as well as function as an UC & secondary insulation for your greyloc.

I'm just saying... not to highjack your thread.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Aaron that does answer a few of my questions. I am doubting the need to perforate when this will be under me so I'll make the first prototype without and since this Thermoflect seems to have some type of plastic coating on it I am going to pass on the rip stop. I am going to assume half of the perspiration will be at the top of my body and with a down TQ I should get decent release of the perspiration upwards since I most likely will have the tarp in porch mode.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heywoodja View Post
    Thanks Aaron that does answer a few of my questions. I am doubting the need to perforate when this will be under me so I'll make the first prototype without and since this Thermoflect seems to have some type of plastic coating on it I am going to pass on the rip stop. I am going to assume half of the perspiration will be at the top of my body and with a down TQ I should get decent release of the perspiration upwards since I most likely will have the tarp in porch mode.
    I used a T-flect U/Q on my last hike .. I'll be playing with perforating it now .. it is needed .. I used it it temps from 18*F to 54*F .. condensation was always present ..just to varying degrees .. here's a pic of it in use .. and one showing the amount of frozen condensation in 18*F ... I don't think any additional covering will be needed as well .. keep in mind .. the pic at 18*F was a result without a tarp deployed at all .. perforation or breathable is a must .. I have an on-going dialog with the product developers at Thermoflect and they are currently working on a breathable T-flect ... I can say this .. it does work .. With suspension it weighs 4.6oz. in a Cuben stuff sack

"The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don't get me wrong I totally get that it needs to be permeable but I am ok with a little condensation if it is in the low 50s. We base camp when we canoe so its not like I will be packing up a wet thermoflect each day. If weather calls for below 50 degrees I either use the JRB Grey lock or head home.

Since I don't have a thread injector to make the perforation my goal is to make the poor mans version and see what happens or maybe someone will come up with a good way to make perforations (tack strip, paper tiger, hole punch) and I'll try that.

Keep us posted Black Wolf I have 3 more Thermoflects to play with.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I shall .. I too am not overly concerned with a bit of moisture .. I'm looking forward to see what temps. I can bring it to without a down U/Q .. the inside lining?? blue side absorbs some of the moisture and it dries out very quickly .. I had the blue side out in the 18*F pic .. and that also seemed to produce the most moisture. I plan on using the perforation pattern to match the pattern found on Insul-Fleece.
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

• + New Posts