Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REI Tarps

REI Tarps

So I received an REI gift certificate and am in the market for a tarp. I've been drooling over some of the tarps I've seen on the forum, but I don't think I can swing the funds right now.

I'm curious as to people's opinions on the different tarps REI offers - mainly Kelty Noah 12', and the ENO Dryfly and Profly. The ENOs are $10 more, but 10 oz less... It seems like the Noah has way more coverage, hence the extra weight.

I've set up the suspension for an ENO double deluxe I got as a wedding present and am trying to convince my wife that we should go hiking and sleep in a hammock together. While I'm not convinced it'll be super comfortable I want to make sure that at least we'll be dry.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    On the tarps, I have both the Dryfly and the Profly, I personally am not too keen on either. I am going to make my own.

I suggest you and your bride have a nap in your Eagles Nest, before you take it on a hike. It might not be cool to have a dissagreement during a outing. Naps are one thing and are nice for some couples, however a night of hanging might lead to a very cranky morning.

My dog loves a nap in my ENO, she is 105 pounds, however, as much as I love her, all night in the hammock, no way. I just purchased a HH cub for her, she will sleep next to me, not in my hammock.

Just a test at home, all night if you can, a nap, will give you some idea of the togetherness of being in a hammock for 8 hours + -. If she is not keen on it, let it go for awhile and maybe go with two hammocks, then she might be inclined to share on hammock with you. If she is only going to make an attempt at hanging in an effort of being nice, be very careful so you do not turn her off on the idea, of camping and hanging. You are probably way ahead of her, in the idea of hanging around, give her a chance to build up some anticipation too.
    HurtHeart

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I've owned the Kelty 12 and it's a great tarp. Lots of different setup options and manageable as far as weight goes. Enough coverage for many hammocks if necessary. It's also bomb-proof. Really good value in my opinion and you can always sell it here if and when you want a different tarp.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I'm not a fan of the Noah series tarps personally. Yes, they have alot of set-up options, but they are also huge monstrosities of fabric. (especially the 16' @ 4.5+lbs) For a beginning tarp something like the Eno Flys or the HH hex tarp @ REI would be good investments.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    You could always try to sell the REI gift card and then buy from one of the cottage industries on this forum.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    ive got a dryfly, and its worked fine for me. i dont think it would cover two people though. the profly seems to have a little more coverage, as there are no cat cuts
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Avoid the DyFly at all costs. Just sayin'.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Gotta love the lack of consensus Keep the comments coming- I love reading everyone thoughts/experiences.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Read hurtheart again. One of the more comprehensive and comprehending posts here on hiking and camping with a significant other.

I hope someone else will point to one or two thread son effective ways for two hammocks to share and hang side by side from the same two trees.

build your own tarp

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast