Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I'm just spitballing here, and I have no idea if this would work or even be comfortable.

What if you pulled the hammock tight, instead of having the sag we all love, so that one could sleep flatter down the midline? Perhaps the people at Grandtrunk designed this system with that idea in mind.

Or maybe they should have made it yellow so that you could lo0ok even more like a banana.
    Ha! That would be interesting to say the least.

The worry about stringing up the hammock to a more horizontal position is the tremendous load strain on the hammock, suspension, and anchor point. The physics in play begin to exponentially increase the shear force.

> http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator.html

I won't try it inside because I'm afraid I'd pull the bolts out of my wall, but when I get a chance to try this outside, I might. However, whenever I've taken a gathered-end hammock and strung it too tight, I experience the "canoe" effect where the sides are tight and the middle sags and I get awful shoulder squeeze.

For the sake of experimentation, I'll try it again and share the photos. Give me a couple of days...

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Cool concept but it doesn't look like one can move around much.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Thanks for the review and specs. Very informative.

Like anything, there are tradeoffs, and one must consider what will provide adequate function vs cost. For some, this could be a viable solution. I do think this has a niche where it could perform adequately for the right price (but it's priced higher than it needs to be to hit that sweet spot IMO).

To me, it looks like the Peapods are still the ones to beat for sheer comfort - but the cost for that comfort is high.
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 03-06-2012 at 02:52.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    The hood was tricky, but I don't have photos of me in it (I was using a self-timer).

From the tip of the hood to the foot box, the bag is 85 inches long. I'd say that was a regular-sized sleeping bag. But, the bag, with its limited width, does constrain the ability to sleep diagonally. So, yes, the bag is small for the hammock in that sense. Unlike a PeaPod, it doesn't reach end-to-end on a hammock.

Let's say, for argument's sake, the bag were wider and I could get a better diagonal lay -- the traditional hood design does not accommodate a diagonal lay. When I shift to one side, the other side leaves a space in the hood opening. The bag is designed to sleep inline with the hammock.

The loft is single layer, so yes, it could be warmer. A true test will tell. Personally, however, I find synthetics universally colder than down. A 0°F-rated synthetic bag has left me freezing in 32°F weather. I'll reserve judgement on the warmth when the bag is finished and is given a real-world test.

True confession: I haven't tried the Speer PeaPod yet (anyone want to share?), so I can't speak directly to how it works. From what I've seen, I like the extra width and the head hole in the center. That seems to be an innovative solution. Plus, the PeaPod really conforms to the hammock shape.
    Well there are of course many pages here about the original Speer commercial PeaPod, including my original review years ago, a version of which is now offered by tttg ( I guess it is ~ identical to the original? ) But never any problems for me on the diagonal, though I do like it better with more narrow hammocks. Some extreme sideways fetal positions I occasionally like to get in with some hammocks- more sideways than a normal diagonal- can be a problem. And bigger ( wider or longer) hammocks definitely don't seem as optimal to me. But I think a PolarPod would handle that situation.

But this is an interesting approach and I can see some potential advantages to this GT type set design.

But, as it is, there are also no problems on the diagonal with the PeaPod "hood", so to speak. In fact, one of my fav tricks with the PeaPod and the Claytor hammock is to get on my side- legs straight or fetal- with my head/face right on the edge of the hammock. Actually, even leaning a tad past side position towards stomach sleeping, so that my face is just barely facing downward past the hammock edge, into the air. Then I rotate the entire pod so that the Velcro and any face vent is also on the side, allowing all breath vapor to exit downwards, or at least straight out to the side. Sense heat rises and cold air sinks, I don't get much cold air draft this way, and can get away with a bigger face vent. This is an amazingly warm and bomb proof approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I'm just spitballing here, and I have no idea if this would work or even be comfortable.

What if you pulled the hammock tight, instead of having the sag we all love, so that one could sleep flatter down the midline? Perhaps the people at Grandtrunk designed this system with that idea in mind.

Or maybe they should have made it yellow so that you could lo0ok even more like a banana.
    Interesting you bring that up. Because in my favorite hammock for a PeaPod- Claytor No net (and some others) - I can sleep quite well in mid-line position, with my feet pretty wide apart and near the hammock edges. Hung tight or loose. It really is at least as comfortable as any diagonal and sometimes more so. It is very much like being in my recliner. But I still often go diagonal as this seems to give me more room/space around my shoulders and face. But it is a problem with many insulation systems other than the pod, because one leg is off of the pad. Won't be off of a full length UQ, but I'm not sure if mid-line might cause some gap problems in the middle. Any way, no problem with a PeaPod.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-06-2012 at 09:49.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Know what I find interesting? This:
    The product was conceived by Hammock Forums member Herrick Kroeger (hkroeger28) and presented to Grand Trunk. We loved the idea, ran with it, and now we have a new pattened product design, and will share a portion of every sale with Herrick.
    That sure is a lot of work for someone that has been a member for 11 days, with a leap year. Not sure I like the implication Grand Trunk is using to make it seem as if the idea came from Hammock Forums. I'm just sayin.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

That sure is a lot of work for someone that has been a member for 11 days, with a leap year. Not sure I like the implication Grand Trunk is using to make it seem as if the idea came from Hammock Forums. I'm just sayin.
    agreed .....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    agreed .....
    Hmmmm......fishy?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12