Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

First Look - Grand Trunk Emboss Hammock (Pic Heavy)

I had a book signing last night at Babbitt's Backcountry Outfitters that was sponsored by Grand Trunk. Grand Trunk had sent in a lot of gear including their new hammock sleeping bag. One item that slipped in was one of their Emboss hammocks. At first I didn't think much of it until I saw the post Grand Trunk made on their Facebook site, and some of the chatter here on HF.

This morning, I went back to Babbitt's to break down my hammock display and took apart the Emboss in the process. I happen to have a copy of their 2012 workbook and it looks like the Emboss is one of a new batch of specialty prints that will be part of their parachute nylon double hammocks.

The construction on the Emboss differs from the regular Double in a few ways. It is a three (3) piece hammock but the "wings" or side strips appear wider than the regular Double hammock. The stuff sack on the Emboss features a rounded bottom. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to measure the width and length of the hammock, but I did get the staff at Babbitts to pull down their scale.

Weight: 17 oz.

The fabric is lighter than a regular parachute nylon, and the embossed pattern is throughout the fabric. It feels softer and smoother than any of the other parachute nylon hammocks I've tested (and I've tested all but 2 of all the brands out there).

The hammock comes with the standard GT hang kit -- the cheap blue rope and the metal spring carabiners.

I was very tempted to buy this hammock out of the store, so I packed it back up and finished cleaning up my hammock stand and gear. When I returned from my car to do a final sweep, a customer had snatched up the hammock (and my book!) and was at the register. I was pleased to eaves drop on the attendant who was talking about hammock camping to the customer. When he spotted me he pulled me over where we chatted about hammock camping, signed his book, and then I cried internally as I watched the Emboss hammock leave the store.

I was able to snag a few photos. I'll see if I can snag one of these hammocks from Grand Trunk directly.

Colors listed in their book: Hawaiian Blue, Hawaiian White, Blue w/dots, Camouflage, Red.

According to Facebook, GT is doing a contest to see whether Black or Peanut Butter will be added to this line up.

UPDATE: Just heard from GT -- this red one was a prototype. Not sure if it will be in their regular line-up, or any of the colors I listed. It looks like the black or peanut butter are the first colors they are choosing from for the launch.

Last edited by dejoha; 03-03-2012 at 15:27.

• + New Posts