Hammock
    MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling

Bridge hammocks and Ultralight backpacking?

Is it even possible? Can the two be friends? Will I ever get a bridge setup under 2lbs hammock tarp and all?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineHiker View Post
    Is it even possible? Can the two be friends? Will I ever get a bridge setup under 2lbs hammock tarp and all?
    Cuben Fiber tarp and use your trekking poles for your spreader bars. That should easily get the job done for a sub 2 pound hammock and tarp.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Do the spreader bars bear any weight that would possibly damage my poles? Would you have to use a single piece trekking pole instead of a sectioned, collapsible one? Is there a place I could buy carbon fiber spreader bars if I needed to use my trekking poles for something else?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    people have put wooden dowels in their sectional poles to give it reinforcement. you could experiment with putting in carbon pole sections as dowels instead. You can buy carbon poles. Ber from the forums had carbon poles. I can't remember where he buys them from, but do a search for Ber, bridge hammock and I think you will find out where he gets his. You could also just search for bridge hammock and carbon poles.

If you follow the directions of Grizzly Adams for how long to make your suspension triangle you should be able to have only the forces of your body weight on the poles.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Gossamer gear and ruta loca both make carbon poles that would likely work.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I'm making a bridge hammock right now that uses Gossamer Gear LT-4 poles. You have to do some mods on the pole to make it work though, basically get a dowel rod through the handle into the interior to convey the forces.

Details later.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    This video link shows my bridge with carbon fiber trekking poles from here. The video of the bridge starts at about the 13 minute mark. This is my favorite hammock to date.

This video link shows a different bridge hammock with the same trekking poles. The bridge hammock part starts about 5:45 into the video

The trekking poles were from TiGoat but now are now made by Ruta Locura Products

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Oh you lucky dog you, you got two of the experts to comment within the first few post. Good luck to you and your poles. I have been a little on the shy (don't want to say scared cause Im a dude as I pound my chest and give the Tim the toolman Taylor signiture grunt) about using my poles as spreaders.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Images
    I would like to use hiking poles as spreaders, but I already use them for either tarp porch supports, or when a close enough bush/tree is not available, as tarp side pull out supports. To give me more room in the tarp for spreader bars.

I guess I could try and find long fallen branches for that, but that sounds quite iffy.

One thing to save weight would for dedicated quilt users to use a single layer bridge hammock. And maybe convert to whoopies from webbing.

"Big Stik" makes a good option too

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineHiker View Post
    Do the spreader bars bear any weight that would possibly damage my poles? Would you have to use a single piece trekking pole instead of a sectioned, collapsible one? Is there a place I could buy carbon fiber spreader bars if I needed to use my trekking poles for something else?
    I am using the "BIg Stik" I break it down into two spreader bars for a narrow footed bridge hammock. One section is 34 1/4" and the shorter section is 22 3/4". This is working great for me, now that I have installed spreader sleeves made from webbing to secure the ends. The weight of the "Big Stik" is 9.1 ounces with the custom strap that I am using. There is a very favorable review of the "Big Stik" on BPL Unfortunately, you have to be a member of BPL to read that review.

I have a couple of bridge hammock configurations that come in at under 2 lbs. when paired with my HammockGear cuben hex tarp. Hammock alone with bugnet (no poles or tarp) usually weigh in at about 18 ounces. I make mine on the shallow side and with narrower foot sections. That reduced fabric material makes it possible, at least that is how I cut some weight from the design.

EDIT: Actually, my bridge hammock is under 2lbs. even when I use dedicated poles! (one older JRB spreader bar and a smaller 18" Quest pole weighs just 5 ounces).
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 02-24-2012 at 20:14. Reason: Thought of something else

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast