Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
Have you calculated how much extra weight it adds to bring your dog? gear and food? Just curious...I have a Collie/Retirever mix that needs to get some exercise.

BTW...I like your setup...best I have seen thus far.
Thanks. When she was younger she would carry her food, lightweight bowls and thermarest (XS) and I would carry her bug net so it would be around an extra 20 ounces for me, regardless of trip length. Now that she's older, she just carries the bug net, bowls and her thermarest so that it's a pretty consistent light weight load on her frame and I carry her food. She takes about 4 cups a day of dry food which rounded is roughly a pound per day. My standard average trip during the season is 3 days 2 nights so using that as an average, I'm looking at around an extra 2 1/2 pounds for food and some dog treats (given that there will not be a breakfast for the put in day and no dinner for the take out day) Then I can just average in each additional full day for longer trips at a pound a day. Also for reference she's around a 75lb dog.

EDIT: Oh I forgot the retractable leash which I've always carried. Adds around 12oz to 16oz depending on model as well.