Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    great video. i have a 70 lb. golden retriever and a couple of med sized shepards. might try taking one of them next time i go out. Kaz

Hammock
    DIY green gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x10 blue tarp.
    Insulation
    DIY 25* Peapod
    Suspension
    JRB triglide
    I was terrified yesterday when my dog got in with me. I had considered getting my 65# golden retriever in my doulbe layer DIY hammock. Well yesterday i was testing out my SINGLE layer, note im about 200 lbs and can tell it stretches a little alone, when Booth wanted to try it out. It held about the same and i couldnt tell it stretched much more but there was NO room for the two of us lol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jnelson871 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone brings their dig in trips involving a hammock. What do you do with the pooch at night. Considering bringing my pup and putting a ccf pad under the hammock for her and pitching a winter tarp.
    Hello, jnelson871
    If you are looking for more informations then read this article: Hammock Camping with a Dog
    Hope it helps
    Last edited by AlexK; 11-29-2017 at 21:12.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
    Hello, jnelson871
    If you are looking for more informations then read this article: Hammock Camping with a Dog
    Hope it helps
    [[that post is from nearly six years ago!!]]

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this question, but aren't bears and coyotes a bit of a risk to domesticated dogs while in the wilderness?

I have a 110lb Great Dane (small, I know) who would never fit in my hammock with me. I'd like to bring her on a trip sometime, but I'm really concerned she might end up in an altercation with some kind of wild animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this question, but aren't bears and coyotes a bit of a risk to domesticated dogs while in the wilderness?

I have a 110lb Great Dane (small, I know) who would never fit in my hammock with me. I'd like to bring her on a trip sometime, but I'm really concerned she might end up in an altercation with some kind of wild animal.
    If you let her run free I could see it. I keep my dog tied up between my hammock trees, if she gets into an altercation it will be because one of those is far closer to me than I want it to be.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post

That's why I've always used a "net tent" in combination with my hammock. I'd like to fly free but I much prefer hiking with my buddy, especially since I go solo quite often. She's a German Shepherd so not a runner or too far of a wanderer but I do want her contained at night just for that very purpose, bears, porcupines, raccoons, etc. Tried tying to a tree but that didn't really make me feel comfortable plus it's always a problem with running into tarp lines. I also tried a couple separate little net tent ideas but she likes being in the same "room" as me (and so do I) along with it adds a lot of additional setup time. I first had a custom made one but just recently got one from Cave Creek hammocks as they offer a little more quality in construction and materials than the custom vendor I used the first time. Also he went with a large u shaped door you can flip back and have an open front for hanging out, breakfast from the hammock and the like.

Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Hey there, just had an inspiration....How about using your underquilt protector as a dog haven underneath your UQ. Deanna Smith of DH made my UQ protector out of Hex 70 2.2 ripstop and is basically like another gear hammock. Lining the UQP with a space blanket or a piece of reflectix is a light weight and multi use way to make any dog happy.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    That's a pretty FLY setup for the Pooch! i suppose the pooch carries the extra ounces of his shelter or is that for car camping primarily, where the added weight isn't a factor?

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    That's why I've always used a "net tent" in combination with my hammock. I'd like to fly free but I much prefer hiking with my buddy, especially since I go solo quite often. She's a German Shepherd so not a runner or too far of a wanderer but I do want her contained at night just for that very purpose, bears, porcupines, raccoons, etc. Tried tying to a tree but that didn't really make me feel comfortable plus it's always a problem with running into tarp lines. I also tried a couple separate little net tent ideas but she likes being in the same "room" as me (and so do I) along with it adds a lot of additional setup time. I first had a custom made one but just recently got one from Cave Creek hammocks as they offer a little more quality in construction and materials than the custom vendor I used the first time. Also he went with a large u shaped door you can flip back and have an open front for hanging out, breakfast from the hammock and the like.

Have you calculated how much extra weight it adds to bring your dog? gear and food? Just curious...I have a Collie/Retirever mix that needs to get some exercise.

BTW...I like your setup...best I have seen thus far.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast