Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    Have you calculated how much extra weight it adds to bring your dog? gear and food? Just curious...I have a Collie/Retirever mix that needs to get some exercise.

BTW...I like your setup...best I have seen thus far.
    Thanks. When she was younger she would carry her food, lightweight bowls and thermarest (XS) and I would carry her bug net so it would be around an extra 20 ounces for me, regardless of trip length. Now that she's older, she just carries the bug net, bowls and her thermarest so that it's a pretty consistent light weight load on her frame and I carry her food. She takes about 4 cups a day of dry food which rounded is roughly a pound per day. My standard average trip during the season is 3 days 2 nights so using that as an average, I'm looking at around an extra 2 1/2 pounds for food and some dog treats (given that there will not be a breakfast for the put in day and no dinner for the take out day) Then I can just average in each additional full day for longer trips at a pound a day. Also for reference she's around a 75lb dog.

EDIT: Oh I forgot the retractable leash which I've always carried. Adds around 12oz to 16oz depending on model as well.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    That's a pretty FLY setup for the Pooch! i suppose the pooch carries the extra ounces of his shelter or is that for car camping primarily, where the added weight isn't a factor?
    She's a good dog, definitely deserves the pampering Yes she does in her own little granite gear pack, we're backpackers, very rarely car camp. You can see her backpack rig is this Shug series. I wasn't using the net tent at the time as I was checking out the bridge hammock. I liked the sleep better but for traveling with a dog the net tent setup is by far a smoother rig.

Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    Have you calculated how much extra weight it adds to bring your dog? gear and food? Just curious...I have a Collie/Retirever mix that needs to get some exercise.

BTW...I like your setup...best I have seen thus far.
    Cave Creek Hammocks makes a "Pet Palace" that is very similar to the "net tent". They are a small company and very open to meeting your custom needs (different hammocks and different dogs). There are a couple of threads on them and folks seem very pleased with the Pet Palace. Sometime this winter I would like to see if he can conjure up one to fit a 90 degree hammocktent. http://www.cavecreekhammock.com/

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban W/ Doors
    Insulation
    CRO UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Sweet set up alife! I like it. I am going to make something similar for my Backpacking pal.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Vanhalo, I figure the balance of weight between me and my dog varies a lot, depending on the type of terrain, the length of the trip, the season of the year, and even the time of day. (She drinks more than I do, but she carries most of the water - sometimes all of it.) Dog food is heavy, so that weight changes in a day or two, but I move things from my pack to hers in the morning so she starts with the same 10 to 15 lbs. each day. Over all, I'd guess that my pack, like my mood, is lighter when she's with me. I know when she's old the weight balance will be different; it was with past dogs - payback time.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Top quilt & zero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I actually take my Weimaraner hammock camping. He has his own hammock, pad and sleeping bag!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456