Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Grand Trunk or ENO for First Hammock

I've been doing what I can to research different hammocks on this site as well as a few others, and have pretty much narrowed it down to either the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro for $56 or getting the ENO Doublenest for $65 and just making my own mosquito net (around $10 from what I've seen so far).

I'm leaning towards the GT because it has both price and convenience on its side, but I've noticed that a lot of people who moved on from the ENO Doublenest to more all-inclusive systems still seem to enjoy it while the GT is pretty much only talked about as a good start.

I'm hoping that somebody who has had both the Skeeter Beeter Pro and the Doublenest can tell me how severe any differences in comfort and quality are, and of course any suggestions for another hammock in the same price range are welcome.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I have been using the Skeeter Beeter Ultralight for a while now and I really love it. The difference between the Ultralight and Pro is the fabric: The Ultralight uses polyester and the Pro uses the parachute nylon. Personally, I prefer the polyester because it doesn't stretch as much, but that's just me. The ultralight is also lighter and packs smaller, and those are important to me too.

Another nice think about the Skeeter Beeter line is that they use shock chord for the bug netting rather than a fixed ridgeline. At first I was skeptical, but I really like it. For starters, if you don't need the bug netting, just flip the hammock over and you've got your regular hammock -- no different than the ENO (except I think they are slightly different dimensions). The shock cord is also handy if you need to adjust your under quilt -- simply reach over the netting and adjust -- the netting flexes with you thanks to the elastic.

There are other gathered-end hammocks that are equally up to the task, although ENO and Grand Trunk are slightly better well-known. Trek Light, Ticket-to-the-Moon, KAMMOK, Byer of Maine, Hammock Bliss, Exped, So-Co Hammocks, and Planet Hammocks all sell parachute nylon and are all comparable (in fact, many of them get their hammocks from the same plant in Indonesia, truth be told).

In the next few weeks I hope to post a thread comparing all these hammocks visually because they are so similar.

I've got a full spreadsheet on all the hammock manufacturers on my website.

Looking forward to that review Dejoha

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Images
    I have the GT. I'm only 5'8" and the GT seems small to me. Looking forward to trying some thing bigger for more comfort.

Thanks dejoha, definitely glad to hear of someone sticking with the grand turk for a long time . And I know that I spent a long time looking for a thread like that, so if you can find the time that would be awesome.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I don't own a gt but a do own a few of the eno dn's and they are excellent hammocks. In fairness though I picked up a couple of the "pawleys island" brand at the kmart clearance for 20 bucks each and they are as comfy as the eno (probably from the same plant as dejoha said). For bug protection I love my bb's and hh but would love to try the skeeter beeter too

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've been facing this same basic decision. I'm set...love me my HHED setup. But, I've been trying to get my other two sons and my wife setup to hang when we camp.

For my oldest son's birthday, I bought him the GT Ultralight Skeeter Beater. Basically the ENO DN and the GT were the same price. The deciding factor for me was the netting...it's a requirement for us, since we do a lot of summer camping.

My concern is that he's not had a chance to hang it and climb in...he's 6'2" and about 230lbs. I'm hoping it's not too small for him.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    I still use my SBP when I hang in seasons/areas where mosquito protection is necessary. I prefer my own hammocks, of course, but I haven't integrated the bug nets to ours yet.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    I am 5' 11'' 240lbs and I use an ENO DN and it seems like I barley fit into the ENO.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11foot
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Snugpak w/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Toggle
    I had this same choice myself just a couple of months ago. I liked the integrated bug net and price point of he skeeter beater but I decided against it due to the way the suspension is connected. Personally did not want all the extra lines. I then bought a GT Ultra Light and found that too small for me at 5'11" 210lbs. I am not sure how the GT Ultra Light and Skeeter Beater compare in size but I think they are close. I returned the GTUL and bought a ENO DoubleNest and am very happy with the size and material. I will add a DYI bugnet in a month here that I can use when needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast