Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

One night in a park

Heading out tomorrow (Thursday) to hang for a night in a nearby state rec area (developed campground)

The forecast is 40% chance of rain showers, low in the 40s, high in the high 50s. Winds 6 - 8 mph from the SSW Thurs afternoon swinging to the north by Friday morning. It will make picking a spot ... interesting.

I'm trying out pads this time: a thin but very large one from Oware and a couple of the wider, thicker blue waffle Walmart pads. I'm hoping the Oware pad + my homemade polypro underquilt will be the winner. Or even a Frankensteined collection of chopped up blue pads. I have duct tape, a sharpie, and some scissors. Watch out!

Also trying out my new Maccat deluxe instead of a homemade silnyl rectangle tarp.

One thing I plan to do while hanging out is to measure my setup for a bug net. It's going to be sock-style since I don't want to fool around with zippers or velcro.

And the dog. She has tented with me but never hammocked.
    Will she get in the hammock? Will she stay on the ground? Will I get busted by the rangers for having a dog not "confined in a tent or vehicle at night"? Will she be so cold and miserable that we end up sleeping in the car? Burning questions all.
    I'm planning on pitching a poncho under one end of the tarp as a lean to and sticking a dog-sized fragment of blue pad in there. I'm going to use the ridgeline of my hammock as an aerial anchor for a dog tie-out. If I arrange things right, the dog will not be able to wrap herself and the tieout around any trees or stakes and she'll be able to wriggle into the shelter if she feels like it.

I'll let you know Friday how all this turned out.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    Heading out tomorrow (Thursday) to hang for a night in a nearby state rec area (developed campground)

The forecast is 40% chance of rain showers, low in the 40s, high in the high 50s. Winds 6 - 8 mph from the SSW Thurs afternoon swinging to the north by Friday morning. It will make picking a spot ... interesting.

I'm trying out pads this time: a thin but very large one from Oware and a couple of the wider, thicker blue waffle Walmart pads. I'm hoping the Oware pad + my homemade polypro underquilt will be the winner. Or even a Frankensteined collection of chopped up blue pads. I have duct tape, a sharpie, and some scissors. Watch out!

Also trying out my new Maccat deluxe instead of a homemade silnyl rectangle tarp.

One thing I plan to do while hanging out is to measure my setup for a bug net. It's going to be sock-style since I don't want to fool around with zippers or velcro.

And the dog. She has tented with me but never hammocked.
    Will she get in the hammock? Will she stay on the ground? Will I get busted by the rangers for having a dog not "confined in a tent or vehicle at night"? Will she be so cold and miserable that we end up sleeping in the car? Burning questions all.
    I'm planning on pitching a poncho under one end of the tarp as a lean to and sticking a dog-sized fragment of blue pad in there. I'm going to use the ridgeline of my hammock as an aerial anchor for a dog tie-out. If I arrange things right, the dog will not be able to wrap herself and the tieout around any trees or stakes and she'll be able to wriggle into the shelter if she feels like it.

I'll let you know Friday how all this turned out.
    Good luck! Your in the same boat as me. I'm going out over the weekend to try everything out to find out what works and what doesn't through trial and error.

Images
    Do you plan on having your dog tied-off? It would be easy go around the tree with a cable or to use the loop on a 15' leash if you trust your dog to not chew through. I cannot see why the ranger would think that was less secure than a tent which the dog can easily chew through....

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The issue with dogs outside, is some fixate on every sound, movement etc... When inside a tent for some reason they are able to sleep. I guess it is like some humans who feel safer with that layer of nylon between them and the boogeyman.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Do you plan on having your dog tied-off? It would be easy go around the tree with a cable or to use the loop on a 15' leash if you trust your dog to not chew through. I cannot see why the ranger would think that was less secure than a tent which the dog can easily chew through....
    Yes, the dog will be tied off. She has never ever chewed through a leash or tieout. Anyway, the tieout I use is a vinyl coated cable w/ snaphooks on each end.
    I'm not too worried about the ranger (my sweetie says I "worry early, worry often") but the park regulations do state "confined in ..." so I'm just sayin'...

As is often the case, the park camping regulations were not designed with tarp (ground or hammock) camping in mind.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My Cat likes to get in the hammock with me in the backyard ...who knows?
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Even tho the regs say "confined in" ... if your pooch is staked and quiet, only a jerk ranger would hassle you. It is the essential spirit of the law ya know and most (but not all) rangers do too.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    The big question is "how big is the dog?" I think if she sleeps on your lap or on you at home, she will most likely be able to do that in the hammock. Wouldn't want to do that with a Great Dane, or a 85 lb. Pit Bull.

I envy you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    The big question is "how big is the dog?" I think if she sleeps on your lap or on you at home, she will most likely be able to do that in the hammock. Wouldn't want to do that with a Great Dane, or a 85 lb. Pit Bull.
    I envy you.
    Well, she certainly thinks she can sleep in my lap but she hangs off at either end (she's 45 pounds). I do have a double top entry hammock (HAAB type) so there is certainly enough fabric to share. The 'wiggly' nature of a hammock might put her off the idea. She likes solid surfaces.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    My dogs usually just sleep under my tarp directly under my hammock. You might give her a pad and a blanket to sleep on.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast