Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suitable fabric for underquilt

Hi All,

This is my first post here but I've read SO much. I'm looking into the cheapest (and I mean I need to spend very little, as I'm all spent up on the hammock, tarp, whoopies... etc) way to make a simple under quilt. I found this place and this fabric, but is it any good for this purpose? I intend using Primaloft One for the insulation but their site says it needs down proof fabric.

The fabric is narrow so I may need to sew two lengths side by side but I hope that wont cause any issue.

I'm in the UK so some of the insulation and fabric options mentioned here are not easily available.

Just to add I'm VERY new to the hammock world (and camping generally) and I'm still at the "testing it all in the garden" stage so far. I want to get something warm sorted for my first night in it though as it's still dipping to near freezing here at night at the moment and I want a good first experience.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    don't know why it wouldn't work

it says it's down proof, if you don't mind sewing two pieces together to get it wide enough i think it would work

looks like it is 1.1oz per yard or so, that is what alot of people make their quilts out of, so i say go for it, the price is certainly cheap enough at $1.50 a meter

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Thanks for the reply boot. It was the weight I wasn't sure about so that helps. Also wasn't sure if the silicone coating was ok breathability wise. Might get enough to do a top quilt too!

Thanks

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You don't need silicone coated nylon (silnylon). Not only is it extra weight but it will promote condensation since its not breathable. Everyone has a different tolerance for condensation, but if you prespire like me, you would wake up soaked.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I use fabrics n stuff regularly and have made down underquilts from their fabric.

I use their pertex 4 as its water and dirt repellant and highly breathable,at a slight weight penalty.
    I'm not sure on that exact fabric, but I'd echo the concerns of breathabilty. A dwr or uncoated will be more breathable and these are rare on fabrics n stuff at the moment.

I'd go to ebay and check out ripstop on there. Sometimes you can pick up pertex microlight on the bay which IMO is about as good as you can get for both of your quilts, being downproof and teflon impregnated.

IME, treating uncoated nylon with nikwax does a fantastic job of adding water repellancy and can easily be retreated. Might save you some pennies.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Local advice is likely to be most helpful. I'm biased, though. I like Pertex, and Turnerminator has posted a lot of good stuff.

Thanks for the advice. As I've not done anything like this before, I'm imagining the first attempt will be a learning process so I'm thinking it best to "learn" on cheap stuff. I guess the uncoated version is not down proof but is breathable. Turnerminator, Would the Nikwax treatment on this make it down proof as well as water repellent or is it purely a water proofing treatment. As I'm using Primaloft instead of Down, is there any margin for it not being quite so downproof?

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    The TX direct waterproofing won't help with downproofing very much at all unfortunately.

For a material to be downproof, it must be calandered (passed over a hot roller) on one side in the factory. I've found the parachute fabrics to be downproof mostly but I'd ask the vendor. The guys at fabrics n stuff and Pro-fabrics are very helpful, as are the ebay sellers IME.

I have no experience with working with primaloft but I understand that the ends will poke through uncalandered fabrics, someone will hopefully confirm this for you mate.

FWIW, I used that exact fabric you linked for my tarp doors. they were TX direct treated over a year ago and still hold water. I'm sure its downproof too, its a very fine weave.

If you send me your adress in a PM, I'll post a bit off to you with some down inside so you can check it, I'll chuck some pertex samples in too.

I've just PM'ed you my details. Thanks so much for the kind offer. I'm going to go ahead and contact fabrics n stuff and see what they think with regard to the Primaloft.

Just spoken with a very helpful guy at Fabrics n stuff and he has recommended the silicone coated one and says that they have another customer using it to make hammock quilts using down so the know it's down proof. He felt that breathability would not be a problem either. He also recommended the nysil (pertex equivalent) as a better option. Decisions, decisions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast