Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY Hammock Netting

In a DIY Hammock with an attached netting will the netting be touching the face without the sides guyed out? Mine does, I'm not sure if I messed up my design, as it would be nice to not have to tie the sides every time.
    Last edited by hfmac; 02-19-2012 at 10:45.

Yes, unless you can some how design it so that when you get in the sides of your hammock get tight which in return would tighten up the bugnet. Even then though it will be pretty close to your face.

Thanks, I was thinking of adding a string to hold it but I don't think that would work.

I was thinking I put the arc of the double style tie outs in the wrong place. Right now the "c" or trough part of the curve is at face level. I was thinking if I maybe had aligned the first apex (going from head to foot) at face level it would have given a bit more room because of how it naturally pulls the fabric away from the face because of the cut.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mine did....I added a grosgain loop and a tie out of shock cord. Pulls it away on my head/face side. Much better!
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 02-19-2012 at 11:14.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    When you tie out your bug net or hammock are you using shock cord? Just curious, my RL seems to do just fine with keeping the bug net off of me, but I've always wondered what is used on the hammock pictures that I see tied out.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by hfmac View Post
    In a DIY Hammock with an attached netting will the netting be touching the face without the sides guyed out? Mine does, I'm not sure if I messed up my design, as it would be nice to not have to tie the sides every time.
    What type of hammock and bug net is it?

A ridgeline will keep the top off of you.

If you have a wide floppy sided gathered end hammock, Knotty's Stretch-Side mod should get that part out of your face unless the net itself is too large for the hammock.

I made a Jerry5 style hammock with an attached bug net and BB style tie outs. I used shock cord tie outs and it's fine when tied. The RL indeed holds up the netting but since I have to shift away from the RL to lie on the diagonal the netting droops a little when it's not tied out so it touches my face.

I'm not sure if widening the side panel's width at that location would make a difference? Would a wider section on the side panel push the netting away from the face? ASCII diagram of the said side panel: _--___

Shug, I'm not sure what you meant but I'll clarify on what i meant. I was thinking of just clipping the netting, above my face, that was touching and anchoring it to the RL so that it pulls it away. Where did you attach your grosgrain and where are you anchoring it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hfmac View Post
    I made a Jerry5 style hammock with an attached bug net and BB style tie outs. I used shock cord tie outs and it's fine when tied. The RL indeed holds up the netting but since I have to shift away from the RL to lie on the diagonal the netting droops a little when it's not tied out so it touches my face.

I'm not sure if widening the side panel's width at that location would make a difference? Would a wider section on the side panel push the netting away from the face? ASCII diagram of the said side panel: _--___

Shug, I'm not sure what you meant but I'll clarify on what i meant. I was thinking of just clipping the netting, above my face, that was touching and anchoring it to the RL so that it pulls it away. Where did you attach your grosgrain and where are you anchoring it?
    Right by my face side and ground anchored.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    When you tie out your bug net or hammock are you using shock cord? Just curious, my RL seems to do just fine with keeping the bug net off of me, but I've always wondered what is used on the hammock pictures that I see tied out.
    That's what Hennessy uses. 1/8" or somewhere near there (I can dig it out if you want a precise measurement), but I'm sure you could get away with something lighter. It just needs to flex some as the hammock moves, to avoid pulling your stake out or ripping the netting.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    That's what Hennessy uses. 1/8" or somewhere near there (I can dig it out if you want a precise measurement), but I'm sure you could get away with something lighter. It just needs to flex some as the hammock moves, to avoid pulling your stake out or ripping the netting.
    No, I don't need as I don't have the problem of the net falling on my face, but was just curious as to what was used. Thanks a bunch

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast