Hammeck Envy
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter 12'
    Insulation
    PappyAmos Special
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spiders

A Stand for your Clark

I was getting ready for the Floriday Hangcon next week, and I stumbled on some stuff. I thought y'all should know about it.

I have this hammock stand I got from Amazon. It's a great stand I keep in my room for I am in a hammock 100% now......unless I'm sick or hung over. Anyway, The stand is great for single layer, no frills hammocks like the 5 o'clock Shadow from the Bearded Hanger I won at my last hang. The shadow fits a lot like the hammock the stand comes with. I slept in the included canvas hammock for about 6 months before it got stretched, and dirty. I'm afraid to wash it for fear of just retrieving a ball of cotton from the washer. The Shadow is an awesome hammock that I sleep in every night, and I've washed it once now. Awesome.

The stand is great, but has a very short lift, and just a 9' spread between the top posts. My Hammeck Envy does not fit. Not at all. I've tried....a lot... I so wanted the Hammeck to fit.

Then I thought that my Clark TX-250 is short. It's like the stand was made for the Clark. I'll be trying it out over the next couple of nights, but it's pretty evident that these are a pair made for each other. So awesome.

I've found the Clark needs to be spread kind of tight because the poly fabric stretches when you lay in it. This stand does that. It's kind of hard to get it into the hooks, so......tight. The stand is made of steel tubing that will support an advertised 450#, but it does flex a bit. I've found the flexing adds a "softness" to the lay. I like it, but YMMV.

This is just an FYI thread in case y'all were looking for a stand without the DIY of the Turtle-Dog. I have one of those stands too, it is awesome. I'll be rocking this setup at the Florida Hangcon next weekend if y'all would like to come check it out. If it rains, my idea is to just stretch my 12' Kelty over the entire rig.. At a 9' total length, the Kelty will over hang by 1.5' on both ends, and to the ground on the sides creating a t*#t like structure for rain/wind repellent.

More info for up coming questions........I'm 5'6", 180#. I can sleep between the bows of the Clark, so any 3/4 length UQ works great. The stand weighs about 20#, and does come with a carry bag (like you get with those pop up shade things). It's powder coated, I think, everywhere except on the ends of the tubes where one inserts into another (too tight for even a layer of paint). Those are bare steel. Right now, they're shinny for I haven't had it outside. It is put together with five 1" hand screws, four to link the five parts together, and one for center bar support (you can see the fifth in the picture). I take it down with no tools at all. The ends of the tubes are covered with plastic caps to keep the ends from tearing stuff up (also in the picture). The hammock hooks are......hooks. They're stainless steel (maybe?) with square washers welded at the appropriate half way point, and loose square washers fitted to the tubes, and fastened with wing nuts (stainless?).

It does take some work to take the stand apart because the joints fit together so tightly. If y'all are looking for an in house hammock stand, or a car camping item.....this thing is great.

I think that's all I have to say.
    Maturity makes the mind grow older.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter 12'
    Insulation
    PappyAmos Special
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spiders
    UPDATE: Hammock sleeps great. Perfect pitch. Far too warm with my winter quilt. Now I'll put the summer quilt on it.
    Maturity makes the mind grow older.

• + New Posts