Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Hey guys.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am about to make the move from tent to hammock, and I am very excited about it! I've been doing research the last few weeks, and I plan on pulling the trigger next week.

My question is a silly one, but I haven't found any mention of it. On cold overnighters like I had this past weekend (low teens), I usually put my water bottle(s) into my sleeping bag to keep them from freezing. I usually have just enough space in my mummy bag so that the bottles aren't pressed up against me, which avoids having them act as a heat sink.

If I switch from a sleeping bag to a TQ/UQ configuration, what is the best way to keep the water from freezing? I can put them under my TQ, but then they will be resting aqainst my leg, drawing my body heat into them. How do you folks do it?

Thanks a ton.
    Winter camping in a hammock requires some pre-thought in several arenas...water freezing being the one you've mentioned. Along with that one is the concern about other items you need to protect from freezing or maybe just keep somewhat warm. Items like your toothpaste, first aid ointment, camera and extra battery, alcohol fuel (makes a difference when trying to light it off in the morning), other battery operated devices...Steripen, mp3 player, digital thermometer or NOAA weather radio, etc. What about items you just want to keep close to you when your in the hammock? Items like your flashlight, gun if you carry, or wallet. These and other concerns may lead you in the direction I went....a Ribz pack. All this stuff, plus two 16 oz Nalgene bottles of near boiling water all fit in it. That's usually more water than I need for b-fast the next morning or throughout the night to keep me hydrated.
    As others have mentioned, the warm bottles keep you warm and guarantee unfrozen water in the morning, and if you have to get up for some reason to visit the outhouse, the Ribz pack goes with you, with all the personal items at your fingertips. I wear my Ribz pack under my jacket throughout the day to keep the stuff warm and keep track of all the little stuff that otherwise finds its way to the bottom of my pack. Just a thought.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    i use the insulated water bottle holders for nalgene bottles. but this last trip to WV, it didn't get really cold, but sometimes i wrap them in a thick sock and put them into my boots to keep them from freezing. This trip i also boiled water and put it into a kleen canteen bottle, threw it in the hammock before bed and it made it really nice and warm to climb into.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    i put a wool sock around it and toss it in the bottom of my sleeping bag... i usually heat it up first though so its like a furnace by my feet.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    The hot water bottle works well, as does burying in the snow (I usually have more than a liter of water ready to go) so I use both methods. Great idea to mark 'em with a stick. Definitely keep your bottles upside down so if they do partially freeze you can still get water out of them.

Another item you want to keep warm with you is your water filter if you use one. If the filter element freezes it's destroyed.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Most of my camping is done next to a stream while kayak camping. I always stick all my water bottles in the stream overnight to prevent freezing. Does the trick.

I have a good idea in mind: use a thermos. Compared to single-layer stainless steel bottles, thermos bottles can slow down the cooling of the liquid in the bottle, and it will not freeze too quickly. I recommend yeti and hydro flask, if you do nÂ’t know which one to choose, here is a comparison between yeti and hydro flask.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Your backpack sealed up actually has a little insulating value. If you put a neoprene sleeve around a hard nalgene bottle, followed by wrapping your spare clothing around it and putting it upside down into your backpack, this should work alright. You can also add toe warmers to this method if its super cold.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    Your backpack sealed up actually has a little insulating value. If you put a neoprene sleeve around a hard nalgene bottle, followed by wrapping your spare clothing around it and putting it upside down into your backpack, this should work alright. You can also add toe warmers to this method if its super cold.
    I agree with this. I usually use a gear hammock and have my pack right beside me. If it's only going down to the high twenties, I just put my smart water bottle in the middle of my hiking clothes and anything else that may be loose inside the pack and have never had them freeze this way. If it's going to be really cold, I do the Nalgene hot water bottle.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    One caution about the hot Nalgene water bottle - if you get them too hot (boiling water), it can distort the treads a bit and you may not have a good seal; or you may start out with a good seal that “gives” as the water cools. The last thing you want is a leaky water bottle at the bottom of your UQ. So you might check this out ahead of time at home - fill it and leave it on its side overnight. Never had the problem with an actual thermos because they are designed for (boiling) hot water. But a thermos is designed to keep the heat in, not radiate it out.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    One caution about the hot Nalgene water bottle - if you get them too hot (boiling water), it can distort the treads a bit and you may not have a good seal; or you may start out with a good seal that “gives” as the water cools. The last thing you want is a leaky water bottle at the bottom of your UQ. So you might check this out ahead of time at home - fill it and leave it on its side overnight. Never had the problem with an actual thermos because they are designed for (boiling) hot water. But a thermos is designed to keep the heat in, not radiate it out.
    I've had 2 issues with this exact problem. I filled my Nalgene and screwed the lid on and took it into my hammock. Got a bit wet.

Now I pour the boiling water in the Nalgene, screw the top, wait a couple of minutes and re-tighten the lid. No leaks.

I think my problem was the opposite of what you mentioned. I think the threads were cold but got looser when warmed and thus leaked. By waiting until the threads were warmed up and re-tighten I got a snug fit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast