Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images

Question Super Shelter Questions

I have some questions about the SS. Since my last trip i've decided to get my self a 4 season insulation for my exped. asym and my first choice is obviosuly Hennessy's SS.
    My purpose is to (1) protect the hammock's fabric and net from water pulled underneath the tarp by winds. (2) Not have to use a pad inside the hammock.
    Regarding these two points here are my questions: Is the overcover waterproof? How does the entry slit of the under cover work (velcro, zipper, nothing...)? Will the undercover, overcover, stockfly, and hammock fit in the #4 snakeskins?
    That will be all for now. Any sugestions or redirection to old posts on this subject are very appreciated...
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 06-13-2008 at 19:28.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elcolombianito View Post
    my first choice is obviosuly Hennessy's SS.
    My purpose is to (1) protect the hammock's fabric and net from water pulled underneath the tarp by winds. (2) Not have to use a pad inside the hammock.
    Regarding these two points here are my questions: Is the overcover waterproof? How does the entry slit of the under cover work (velcro, zipper, nothing...)? Will the undercover, overcover, stockfly, and hammock fit in the #4 snakeskins?
    The overcover is NOT waterproof, but the undercover is. That said, it will prevent a certain amount of mist from entering the hammock.
    The entry slit of the undercover works with elastic - no velcro nor zipper.
    Yes, all of the components should fit in #4 skins. I use and Explorer UL, and they all fit in #4's with that model.

There's been a ton of discussion on the SS effectiveness - do a little searching and draw your own conclusions. It will fulfill your purposes down to a certain temperature that you'll have to discover based on your own use.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I just acquired a SS. Somethng is making the hammock narrower and I can't quite figure it out. Doesn anyones else have this problem? Also should I cut the emergency blanket to fit the pad? I was thinking the best way to carry the pad is leave it in the hammock and put it at the bottom of my pack. Is that a good way or is it to fragile and I shold remove it and store it rolled up in a water proof stuffsack?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've only messed around w/ a friend's SS a few times so some of the others can probably tell you better, but in the mean time I'm wondering if the SS is being pulled to tight by it's attachment cords, causing the hammock squeeze?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I just acquired a SS. Somethng is making the hammock narrower and I can't quite figure it out. Doesn anyones else have this problem? Also should I cut the emergency blanket to fit the pad? I was thinking the best way to carry the pad is leave it in the hammock and put it at the bottom of my pack. Is that a good way or is it to fragile and I shold remove it and store it rolled up in a water proof stuffsack?
    I have the same experience with the SS, it bothered me enough that I quit using it. I think its the nature of the design - it has to be a little narrower to hold the foam up against the bottom, but the restriction in width, for me, was more uncomfortable than using closed cell pads inside. I was really suprised at how warm it was though, if it wasn't for the width restriction, I'd still be using it. I didn't trim the space blanket.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I tried to loosen the ends and it was still too narrow. I think it is the pad width. I will try to undo one side.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

SS will try and make a HH narrower

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I tried to loosen the ends and it was still too narrow. I think it is the pad width. I will try to undo one side.
    If you look at the design of the SS you'll see that it will naturally *try* and make the hammock more narrow. The side elastics of the underpad pull the sides together.

You could try and detach one side, but then the pad will slide away from that side.

A better solution is to make your hammock side tieouts as horizontal and tight as possible. What I do is use my trekking poles as tarp supports, and attach the side elastics to the handles of my trekking poles. See photo below. This solution works very well for me.

--Kurt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That's a good idea. I think I will replace my tieout bungee with something stronger and lengthen the bungee of the pad just a little.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Images
    Yep, I think you just have to physically overcome the elastic nature of the undercover, which presses against the hammock in an attempt to make a sort of "seal(sp?)" between UC and hammock body. That's why HH says to quadruple the tie out elastics. But something a little stronger might be even better.

But I think this is something that just has to be put up with to a certain degree. It has never really bothered me much, as long as I can keep the net out of my face. But it is not as good as without, width wise. Also, keep your tie outs up high if possible, like to a tree or brush. That way, when the hammock sags towards the ground, you will maintain the tension. If tied to a stake in the ground, when you sag you will get closer to the stake and things will be loosened.

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Also, keep your tie outs up high if possible, like to a tree or brush. That way, when the hammock sags towards the ground, you will maintain the tension. If tied to a stake in the ground, when you sag you will get closer to the stake and things will be loosened.
    That's why in my above post/picture I recommend hooking the side tieouts to the handle of trekking poles. It actually allows you to tie out *above* the hammock level, which means when you get in the hammock and it sags it actually tightens the side elastics.

Also, since my trekking poles are tied out right at the end of the tarp, they are always at the same distance from the hammock and I can make a semi-permanent loop there. That way there's no knot to tie, just hook the loop over the trekking pole handle. Fast, effective and consistent. No tree required, no stake required (for the elastics that is, the tarp tiedowns of course still use a stake).
    --Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast