Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

8x8 enough for decent rain?

OK so I am pretty new at this and am putting together a UL hammock kit. I am coming from being a SUL backpacker with a base weight of 4.5 lbs for my 3 season kit. The only real hang up I am having is figuring out a tarp. I have considered the HG 4 season at 6.5 oz but realize that I then need more stakes and guy lines. An 8x8 from Zpacks is something like 4.5 oz and only needs two stakes. I am planing to make a ghost hammock like Sgt. Rocks from 1.1 ripstop with dynaglide USRs and using 6' tree straps with dutch clips and a marlin spike hitch to connect to the suspension. My plan is to also make a HUG for my bug net.
    I am in the SF Bay Area and do not usually get a lot of rain but am plaining more hikes up in the sierras and doing the JMT in a year or so. Could I pull that off with an 8x8 or something even more minimalist or should I go the HG 4 season route? I am using whopieslings.com Dutchware ridge line for my tarp so it will be easily adjustable to cover the hammock. So many decisions LOL it makes my head spi.

I am 6' tall and 175 lbs.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    An 8 foot ridgeline is a little short imo. If you contact adam or any of the tarp makers I'm sure you could get something custom. If carrying stakes is an issue what about just using sticks on the ground and weighing them with rocks? Have you looked at ti stakes? Lawson equipment and I think papasmurf sells them. I think Lawson still had cuben tarp kits you could pick up and modify to your dimensions or maybe he could cut it for you.

Good luck
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I just had Adam make me a 10'x8'. I am anxiously awaiting it. For your needs, you could use the diamond setup with an 8x8 and be fine in the summer, but for 3 season, I would go with something a little bigger. Adam (HG) and Joe (Zpacks) both make custom sizes upon request. Maybe a 10'x7' hex would work? If you wanted to enclose an end you could then go with a cuben fiber Grizzbeak instead of permanent doors. Then you would only take what you need, thus fitting with the philosophy.

On a side note, well done on the 4.5lbs base weight. I am still trimming at 8.75lbs. I'm sure you'll get what you are looking for. Adam and Joe are both serious about weight too, give them a call or email and they could give you some SUL options that meet your needs.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I like the stick and rock idea. I am using tigoat carbon stakes that are weighing in at about the same as ti stakes. Being a major gram weenie here lol. Most likely I will end up breaking down and using the old tax return for the HG 4 season. Seeing many great reviews of it here.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nels5711 View Post
    Could I pull that off with an 8x8 or something even more minimalist or should I go the HG 4 season route?
    I think you're on the right track for a minimalist tarp, actually. An 8x8 offers really great coverage for rain when used as a diamond. Just learn to pitch it low to the ridgeline of your hammock, and you'll stay dry in even really nasty rain storms.

To stick to your SUL goals, I'd leave the 4 season tarps alone unless you plan to take it out in true winter conditions. Hangers here stayed dry long before these large tarps came along.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    An 8 foot ridgeline is a little short imo.
    Turn it as a diamond....longer coverage for the ridge that way.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'd trust the angry one. my 8x10 tarp is plenty big, even in door mode...

oh, an 8x8 in diamond formation is roughly 11'4" long...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    a lot have gotten by with the stock asym tarp that typically accompanies the HH line.

i saw my buddies UQ get pretty soaked in a mild oregon spring shower using the above mentioned HH asym diamond tarp--- and the tarp couldn't have been hung any better.

FMM:: in building a solid UL kit- i'd go with a minimal hex cuben with doors on just one end. 10' ridgeline x 7.5' wide w/ 6' baseline between hex tieouts, and 3' doors. you'd be able to close the 'doors' by attaching to the hex tieouts- and need only 4 Ti stakes. i hear ya on the additional lines, though- and its a reason i was hesitant to get the HG 4S Cuben stock 'palace'.

i'm not SUL or a thru-hiker, but find shaving weight fun and challenging. my HG cuben stock tarp weighs 9 oz in mesh tarp skins, with 1.2mm techline & shockcord tensioners on all 8 tieouts and 2 of the panel pulls. i carry 6 Ti stakes.

to plan for some real SUL stuff or thru hike... i'd go with the custom build noted above. and save ~2oz.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    i saw my buddies UQ get pretty soaked in a mild oregon spring shower using the above mentioned HH asym diamond tarp--- and the tarp couldn't have been hung any better.
    That HH tarp is substantially smaller than an 8x8 as mentioned, FWIW.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Soaking of the UQ is my biggest concern I think. I had thought of trying JRB's driducks poncho kit and making a duel use poncho weather shield. Anyone use one of these?
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    angrysparrow pretty much nailed it... hang it as a diamond and your set
    i had a JRB 8x8 and it was a really nice tarp and had plenty of coverage for 3 season use...
    with some practice you should be fine with a 8x8 diamond tarp
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast