Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Where did you get the camo straps with loops!? And how long would you recommend for each?
    I use the same straps. The woodland green polyester camo straps can be bought here.
    www.owfinc.com/Hardware/Shardware/webbing.asp
    They will not sew the loops for you. A popular length around here and what I use
    is about 12' of webbing per side. But that is done with another suspension method.

Another great option in case you dont want to mess with sewing your own loops is here.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=strapworks
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Thanks!!!!!!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    There has been a question that I have been meaning to raise and it keeps slipping my mind. It concerns the clove hitch. It is generally accepted that knots reduce the breaking strength of a rope by roughly 1/2 because they twist and distort the fibers in the rope, making the forces on the rope uneven. Knots can also cause the fibers of the rope to cut into each other.

When I started fooling around with the clove hitch in the SLS and I noticed that the clove hitch (CH) is more of the line wrapping around an object instead of being tied like a standard knot, for example, a bowline knot. It doesn't kink the line as bad. It looked very much like the configuration of the CH would lend itself to distributing the forces on the rope more evenly.

Why do I care? The CH is the only real "knot" in the section of the suspension that keeps your bum from smacking the cold, hard ground. Assuming that the CH does a better job of distributing the forces, that would mean that instead of your suspension's breaking strength being reduced by 1/2 with a normal knot, you may retain more of the ropes original strength.

Any one care to share their thoughts on this subject?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    You're right about the clove hitch being less damaging to rope than many other knots, at least in many of it's applications. Some of that advantage can be lost, however, if the lead puts a sharp bend in the rope. The construction of the rope itself also affects the amount of damage from bends. Constructions where all of the fibers spiral are less subject to damage because a fiber goes only a short distance on the outside of a curve before passing to the inside of the curve. Tight curves offer less opportunity for such compensation than more gentle curves.

As I recall, The Ashley Book of Knots has some good information on this topic but I can't check because my son made off with my copy a decade or two ago.

In the case of hammock suspensions, one way to minimize damage is to take up much of the strain with friction between the line and the anchor. For example, a suspension line that first wraps around a large diameter anchor, such as a tree, for several turns and then ends with a clove hitch will suffer less damage than an arrangement where the entire load is taken by a knot. But it's more of a nuisance.
    bob

Nice and simple. Good job.

Hammock
    WBBB - what else?
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak U/B
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Now if only I could buy the SMC rings or even the Amsteel Blue in the UK without being charged $50 for the shipping...

Great system - I need to have a play with this but it sounds like neither the rope nor the rings are available over here.
    Still learning after all these years...

Images
    you can probably find a chart online somewhere where there is a listing of a bunch of knots and hitches and the % that they weaken the line, clove hitch is probably on there. i looked at it long ago, but don't remember. i'd say the clove definately isn't as bad as some knots, it is bending around the biner, which def isn't as small a dia as the line itself.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    according to one source (wikipedia I think) the clove hitch has a tendency to slip if subject to fluctuating loads. It is an excellent knot for static veritcal hanging where the weight is constant and directly vertical. The buntline hitch is a variation of the clove hitch and it seems to be plenty stable. I have never had a clove hitch slip on me but I use it pretty much only for static applications.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by tripitaka View Post
    Now if only I could buy the SMC rings or even the Amsteel Blue in the UK without being charged $50 for the shipping...

Great system - I need to have a play with this but it sounds like neither the rope nor the rings are available over here.
    How much Amsteel do you need?

Hammock
    WBBB - what else?
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak U/B
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Looking at the 50' recommended in the OP - Grizz has kindly offered to get a price for me but I'd welcome any help I could get!
    Still learning after all these years...

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast