Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    When I bought the spool all they had was blue. APS wasn't even selling the Amsteel Blue yet when I bought mine.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    ...looked like aps had amsteel blue in black or grey one.
    Where did you find black or gray? I haven't been able to find it.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    nice looking suspension setup there HC4U.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Cool set up HC4U! I'll be looking forward to hearing more as you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    BTW,

Interesting factoid: When you lay in a hammock with almost no sag you lay pretty flat right down the middle of the hammock. Also, the hammock closes around you like a cocoon:

That's how I hang mine, but I use an insulated air mat & that helps the shoulder squeeze.
    I use a more narrow hammock (about 48" wide) & the trekking pole to spread it above my head. That does away with the cocoon thing<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    That's how I hang mine, but I use an insulated air mat & that helps the shoulder squeeze.
    I use a more narrow hammock (about 48" wide) & the trekking pole to spread it above my head. That does away with the cocoon thing<G>.

That's my TTTM double hammock in the pics and it's pretty wide. I had to use it for this writeup because the tabs on the ATHH were getting in the way of the pictures. I was kinda surprised on the cocoon thing. I think that would be pretty handy in the winter. Sorta like a hammock sock without having to carry extra gear. I wish I could have spent more time in the cocoon, but it was like 90* when I was taking the pics and it heated up fast inside.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Where did you find black or gray? I haven't been able to find it.
    aps has it in light grey and a few other colors.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i've been using a clove hitch with the 3mm vectrus 12 as well lately. well, at least a couple times. i was able to get them to break relatively easy also. just by pulling the lines in the right directions, i won't try to explain.
    WBG, the line I'm using is the same as what you put on my Eldorado, I think. It is a soft weave and doesn't transfer "push" into the knot if try to undo the clove hitch the way HC4U does. "Pulling the lines in the right direction" is a teaser though. Do you mean pull the lines at say 90 degrees to the direction they go under tension? Not seeing this...

HC4U, I have been musing also about the overall design of the SLS. A couple of versions of my DIY bridge ago I had a suspension that was similar in-so-far as there were two rings, lines from the rings to trees at the ends, and a ridgeline between between the rings. There are some pictures in this post, although the point of that post was on attaching the hammock to the rings. The ridgeline, as you can see, is a different, lighter-weight cord (in the pictures, Speer's orange no-tangle line). To adjust the ridgeline length you undo a round-turn-with-two-half hitches knot that attaches the ridgeline to the ring, set a new length, and re-tie the knot. The connection between the webbing at the tree and the rings are essentially the same as what you have so nicely documented a couple of times.

On to the musing then...using SLS approach, shortening the ridgeline drops the hammock lower, while in the "separate ridgeline" approach it raises the hammock. The converse is true if you lengthen the ridgeline. In both methods a minor adjustment won't matter much, but a large adjustment will probably necessitate changing the length on the suspension lines too.

Grizz

Images
    yeah grizz, that's the vectrus 12 that came with your eldo. i did kinda pull one or both strands at 90 deg. maybe even a little past that. the object seemed to be to get the hitch itself to roll or move a bit. this seemed to loosen it up enough to untie pretty easy.

another advantage i see to this setup, is you have lots of line to work with. you could always do less passes for the trucker's if you need more line for length, and it seems great for someone who wants to play with their ridge distance.

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Inexperience speaking here.
    I like the simplicity of this arrangement and wonder whether it could be made even simpler with a Speer type hammock. The picture in my mind consists of:
    1. Accordianate the end of the hammock as you would before tying Ed Speer's overhand knot, and clamping it temporarily with one or more large binder clips.
    2. Pass the accordianated hammock end through the ring and back on itself.
    3. Whip the overlap as tightly as you can for two or three inches.

Would the hammock likely slip out of the whipping? If it tended to, is there a way of making it more secure?
    bob

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    When I got up the morning after sleeping in the hammock with this setup, one of the first things I did was to try and undo the clove hitch. You are right that it does tend to seat itself very well. I tried picking it apart with my fingers to get it loose, and it worked, but I had better luck holding the line on each side of the ring, just before and after the clove hitch, and pushing the the line together and wiggling it at the same time. The CH came loose much easier that way. I know that explanation is as clear as mud so I will try and get pics of what I am talking about.

I would also like to see the pics of your method.
    Two ways. The most complicated first. Do a couple of wraps around the ring.
    ring-wrap-1.jpg

Now double back around the standing line.
    ring-wrap-2.jpg

Continue the wrap a couple of more times and you're done.
    ring-wrap-3.jpg

The back loop around the standing end helps to keep the ring from slipping along the rope under tension. One the one hand, a ring put here this way doesn't move much when not under tension. On the other hand it doesn't slip along the rope so easily when loosened up, e.g., to adjust your ridgeline.

In my mind a better way...for my purposes with the trucker's hitch anyway, is to simply wrap the line around the ring 4 or 5 times.
    ring-wrap-4.jpg

It does not move under tension, and is easy to loosen and move when not under tension. Neither of these methods jam. Can't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Inexperience speaking here.
    I like the simplicity of this arrangement and wonder whether it could be made even simpler with a Speer type hammock. The picture in my mind consists of:
    1. Accordianate the end of the hammock as you would before tying Ed Speer's overhand knot, and clamping it temporarily with one or more large binder clips.
    2. Pass the accordianated hammock end through the ring and back on itself.
    3. Whip the overlap as tightly as you can for two or three inches.

Would the hammock likely slip out of the whipping? If it tended to, is there a way of making it more secure?
    Here's a mod that will work. Youngblood has educated some of us on whipping the the end just by using a double sheetbend knot. That involves doubling back the folded hammock end as the larger of the two "ropes" being joined in that knot. If the other cord is short and tied closely to a ring, then that effectively does what you suggest, but without the uncertainty.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast