Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good advice on the stay dry mantra. Cold hands equal cold nights for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cybernugz View Post
    have a ridgerest pad . darn was hoping the down 45 bag would work with layering.O well lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Are you taking a puffy jacket? Down booties? Warm hat? If so, you can wear all of that and probably get by. Might also need a pad for your feet. Keep yourself warm with a hot water bottle between your thighs, and you're probably good.

This is for what you might normally experience late Feb. Like others have said, you'll probably be cold as hell on the few abnormal nights, like what we had last weekend.
    The perfectly dry 45F bag WILL work with layering, to MUCH colder temps. But that of course raises the question: what layers? How puffy are your puffy jacket and pants and hood? Are you skilled in the use of a vapor barrier, and willing to use one? If so, that can get you a bunch of degrees plus help keep your puffy stuff much drier and puffier. The colder it is, the more a VB will benefit you, or at least it does me. Same with that 3 season Yeti, it will not cut it at zero and maybe not at 15-20 for some. ( isn't that rated at 30? or used to be) EDIT: nope, my error, I see it is rated 20-25 with 1.5" baffles- (actual loft is? must be more than 1.5"). But again, a VB or combi VB/reflective layer will get you 10 - 20 more degrees with that Yeti and keep it drier for the long haul. But at those kinds of temps you are probably going to have to add a torso pad, which will also serve as a VB.

Don't know what you are willing to buy/add, but an IX sock would probably give a big boost to your entire system, plus add significant wind blocking to the whole shebang.

But a 45F bag combined with a 3 season UQ at temps from 0-20F is going to leave you shivering, unless you can significantly augment both. Unless you are maybe one of the worlds warmest sleepers? Some folks won't be warm in a 45* bag alone at 45, and it is dang few that are going to be warm below 30. Although, if your UQ is warm enough and your 45 top bag is at least accurately rated, you probably can go a fair bit lower than 45 on top. That bottom hammock insulation is probably the most important.

And don't forget the wind or rain. If you can't block both of those, you will be in trouble even at 45, and serious trouble at 0-20.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-15-2012 at 15:07.

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Yes i will be taking down jacket,pants,hat and down mittens gonna just get the 0 degree top quilt from warbonnet just to be safe would rather carry the 20degree top quilt but not sure if it will be enough tring to keep my pack weight as low as possible.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I started my thru-hike on 3/18/09. Used a 20 degree bag from Springer to Pearisburg, then a 32 degree bag from Pearisburg to Glencliff, and then 20 degree bag again until Katahdin. This was in conjunction with my HH w/supershelter underpad and undercover, which I supplemented with my down parka on colder nights.

Even starting in mid-March there were plenty of nights down to freezing or a bit below, including a 2-day snow storm in the Smokies.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Not to be too nosy, but this may help with your decision> are you a Florida Native? More accurately I guess, have you been a resident of sub tropical areas for a long time, say over 10 years?
    The reason I ask; one of my hiking partners is a S Florida native, in temps where I'm considering going swimming, he is wearing a (to me) winter coat & shivvvvvvering! Our window where we can both go hiking is very tiny, as his temperature range for sleeping comfortably, with a 30 degree bag & etc, is about 50. With your 40 degree bag, he could likely get to about 70, 60 if wearing all of his clothing.

Granted, I wear a tee & kilt down to around 35 & am comfortable, so YMMV. But then general opinion is that I am Weird. A Feb start, in the mountains, very north of your home, I got to say: Even I don't carry a quilt with that low of an R value.

Note: Hi Matt, if I'm wrong, step in & say so.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Doctari yes I am a florida native but a pretty warm sleeper have slept in 32 weather with a 40 bag and was toasty but wanna be safe on the trail have decided to order a winter yeti underquilt and winter mamba topquilt to be safe in the colder times on the trail then i will swap out with my 3 season gear when the weather gets warmer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cybernugz View Post
    Doctari yes I am a florida native but a pretty warm sleeper have slept in 32 weather with a 40 bag and was toasty but wanna be safe on the trail have decided to order a winter yeti underquilt and winter mamba topquilt to be safe in the colder times on the trail then i will swap out with my 3 season gear when the weather gets warmer.
    That ought to do it, along with good rain/wind protection!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Already have a superfly tarp already that seems to work well for the rain/wind I really like the warbonnet products seem very well made and I feel the prices are good to.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    I wanna thank you all for your help on this issue. this site is great.stay tuned sure I will have more questions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    i started my thru hike from springer on jan 3rd this yr. i just came off the trail at fontana **** to order a hammock and take care of some business. i am headed back this sunday. it was 3 degrees w/out windchill the first 2 nights. i think you will be ok except for the 45 degree bag. just remember that if it is to cold at night then walk thru the night and sleep during the warmer days. even with that it is just to foggy to walk at night sometimes. dont count on a fire. everything has been soaked for the most part. i am new to hammocking and this will be a trial by fire with me but i have spent a lot of time in the woods so i am confident that if i under equip for winter sleeping i can still survive it. if you are not experienced in the woods or with hiking long distances then you might want to go with a warmer TQ.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast