Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images

How do you know if it is ripstop

My local Walmart has some nylon (12 yards., How do I know what weight it is and if it suitable for a tarp? I am going to try my hand at sewing, I have the machine hasn't been used is six years but I plugged it in and it seemed to work. I have watched many a video and read many a thread but I am still scared. A y other words of advise would be welcome.

I forgot the best part the nylon is .99/yard

DammFast

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    You can buy it and weigh it. Weight is per square yard and fabric is measured per linear yard, so you'll have to do a little math. The weight is fabric weight without coating, 1.7 is closer to 1.9.

If you can find some to compare, compare it. Once you see it, you'll know from then on.

1.7 has 1/4" squares or so. True ripstop has a larger thread among the squares. If its at Walmart and ripstop, it's probably 1.7. I've seen a lot of uncoated ripstop and some stuff that looks like ripstop but is very thin and not suitable for much.

I doubt very seriously thatwalmart had sil nylon, so the best you can hope for is treated on one side. This will not be sufficient for a tarp.
    Sil is very slippery, kind of loud when rubbing it against itself and you can not suck ANY air through it.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    So it does have the little squares in it. So that means it is 1.7?.?. Could it be treated with the clear silicon mineral spirits treatment to make it waterproof?

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I am not familiar with the walmart stuff but the best indicator for a ripstop fabric is the squares in it. The two first sentences here says it all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripstop.

Oh, and no, there's no way to tell the quality (weight) by measuring the size of the squares.

DIY-siliconized ripstop? I see no reason why not.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Nope... gotta weigh the stuff, most of the RS I work with is 1/8" RS pattern. I dont like the 1/4" pattern, look chunky...

I've found silnylon at WW but not much, found some nice DIY stuff there too. Most of the stuff at WW is 1.9 but have stumbled across 1.1 and some 1.5 several times. Not been hunting for fabric at WW for a long time...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images

No fear!

Ripstop has the squares. You can try to treat it yourself, there's a sticky in the DIY forum, but it might just be easier to buy some. My understanding is the process is quite tedious. www.diygearsupply.com has sil-nylon seconds for $5.50sqyd. That's the best price I've found, and the customer service is outstanding.

I made my tarp out of PU coated nylon that I got pretty cheap. It's not light, around 2lbs, but feels pretty bomb proof, and not nearly as stretch as sil. Although I am looking to upgrade to a sil one here soon to shave weight. Just start slow, those long seams go on for ever!

If your looking to get familiar with the material and machine, why not by a yard or so of the WM fabric and make a few stuff sacks for practice? Just a thought. I found some camo nylon at the WM last night for $1.50sqyd. I bought 2 to play around with.

Anyway good luck!
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    The sticky in the DIY forum on making your own sil is a good read. I tried it successfully. It's not worth it. You'll be money ahead if you save up and get some sil from DIYgearsupply.

Yeah like a lot of people said. You should see a grid type patern in it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The grid pattern is not sufficient to positively identify rip stop. I've seen fabric at wally world that looks like rip stop until you really get up close and personal. I've seen, and almost bought, a fabric with the grid pattern _printed_ on. Wrapped on the bolt it looked really good. But I looked harder and was disappointed.

A printed pattern appears only on one side of the fabric. True rip stop is a woven pattern made by weaving larger threads periodically along the weft and woof. It will appear the same on both sides. Because the threads are physically larger there will be a texture to it as well. That rough texture is one reason rip stop is not my favorite fabric for a hammock. I much prefer polyester taffeta. But to each their own.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I think I will buy all of it, its just to good a deal at $.99. Like some of you said maybe start small and work my way up. At one time I sewed a bunch of things, just out of practice. Start with some bags or skins and then tackle the tarp. I watched a bunck of videos on the DIY sil treatment and seeing as I have tons of room to make a mess in and plenty of time before my big summer trip, i will give it a try. I can't wait to try out my sewing skills and see what I can do. I am a little worried about that flat ridgeline seam, hope I don't screw it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast