DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH

GG Pad for HH

New to this. I have a HH Expedtion Asym, bottom opening. I'm looking for some summer insulation and am considering GG thinlight 39 X 59 X 1/4. My question: can I just put the whole piece in and make a slit to correspond to the HH opening? Or is it better to cut to fit the asym lay? I'm only 5'2". Just got this hammock and so far slept in my woods with my pilates mat and my old WW sleeping bag comfortably at 55 degrees. Worked, but worked up a sweat wiggling and squirming to get everything adjusted and not something I would like to carry around in a pack. Thanks for your opinions.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Not familiar with that pad but while using a blue ccf pad in my bottom entry BPUL from HH I just rolled up the bottom of the pad , sat on it, closed the opening, lifted my butt and unrolled the pad. Harder to describe than to do.

I use an Oware pad that is very similar with almost identical dimensions. I've never considered matching a slit in the pad to the hammock's opening and can't imagine that it would work. As bodhran4me says above, the explanation of how to use a pad is awkward but the execution is simple.

I firmly believe that the GG and Oware pads, given their dimensions and material, make for easy, comfortable and inexpensive underinsulation (I have never used anything other than the Oware). There has always been discussion about uncomfortable pads, slippage, and other issues but I still maintain (despite my admission above) that virtually all the problems can be solved with a pad that is right for a hammock. And the GG (from what I've read) and the Oware are those kind of pads -- I believe the more narrow pads are the cause of pads' bad reputation.

My sleep system keeps me comfortable to the mid-20's. You should do just fine.

FB

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Thanks for the info. I'll most likely get the gossamer gear thinlight, see how it works and adjust accordingly.

Hammock
    Hennesey Hyperlite side zip
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat
    Insulation
    DIY undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I bought this same pad. The whole idea behind this pad is to customise to fit your needs. You should be fine doing that. My hammock is a hyperlight side zip. Im using thinlight and diy quilted underliner when she dips.

Better to try and fail than to never try at all!

• + New Posts