Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post

Using the "breath test:" I don't think they're a vapor barrier, but pretty close, similar to IX, I think they'll breathe, but very little. more like a vapor resistor...
    >>> This is data from the manufacturer, it's not breathable at all ...

"" In response to your new questions: Thermoflect is inherently impervious. However, when used in neonatal applications, overheating is not an issue as with straight polyethylene. We are working on MVTR testing but it is not yet complete. We receive very few reports of patient condensation. However, the potential is there. ""

OK, Some details: the one I have is 4'x4', with rounded corners and a cutout for your head. If I ignore the cutout, and square it off, it's 16-sq ft = 1.78sq yds. Weight: 2.4oz. Oz/sq yd = 1.34oz. Of course with the missing fabric, it's probably more like 1.4-1.5oz/yd... so, yes, it's light, but not as light as 1.1 nylon.
    *** And to the weight >>>

"" Thermoflect weighs 48 gsm which converts to 1.4156891895740817 ounces per sy. I hope this helps and I am sure the samples will clear up all the confusion. ""

So I'd say you're spot on here John ..

Ideas for use:
    <<< And their reply to this

"" Thanks so much for checking! I look forward to seeing your magical silver devices ""

Other ideas?
    << so be sure to post them up here .. I have forwarded this thread to them and they wanna' see the ideas the stem from here using their products ...
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu &amp; RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I like that idea! But aren't radiant barriers better next to you? so: Thermoflect, IX, Ripstop?
    Yes, this is the commonly held belief with outdoors enthusiest. In the construction field, though, the radient barrier is put on the outside of the mass insulation. Because the insulation is still a thermal body radiating heat. The goal, for buildings anyway, is to keep the heat inside the insulation which is keeping the heat in the building.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/faq.htm

Because the IX is such low density and so thin. It is my belief that it will have no effect on the thermoflects radient ability. I doubt any significant difference in warmth would be noted in either configuration.
    Now if a person where to use the blanket with a lower rate quilt for colder temps. It would be most effective to put the thermoflect blanket on the outside. As with construction standards this will keep the heat in the TQ longer.
    If used inside the TQ, you would feel warmth almost immediately but in the long-term you would get cold, I think. This would be because your body isn't able to heat the actual insulation in the TQ fast enough. That's the theory anyway.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 02-04-2012 at 10:31. Reason: URL didn't post correctly
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    Yes, this is the commonly held belief with outdoors enthusiest. In the construction field, though, the radient barrier is put on the outside of the mass insulation. Because the insulation is still a thermal body radiating heat. The goal, for buildings anyway, is to keep the heat inside the insulation which is keeping the heat in the building.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/faq.htm

Because the IX is such low density and so thin. It is my belief that it will have no effect on the thermoflects radient ability. I doubt any significant difference in warmth would be noted in either configuration.
    Now if a person where to use the blanket with a lower rate quilt for colder temps. It would be most effective to put the thermoflect blanket on the outside. As with construction standards this will keep the heat in the TQ longer.
    If used inside the TQ, you would feel warmth almost immediately but in the long-term you would get cold, I think. This would be because your body isn't able to heat the actual insulation in the TQ fast enough. That's the theory anyway.
    Perfectly stated .. My thought process is right in line with this .. if you're reflecting 97% of your body heat back to you .. then you're only using 3% of your body heat to warm the insulation .. I tend to think it would be much better to retain as much heat in the insulation ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Perfectly stated .. My thought process is right in line with this .. if you're reflecting 97% of your body heat back to you .. then you're only using 3% of your body heat to warm the insulation .. I tend to think it would be much better to retain as much heat in the insulation ..
    My thinking is just the opposite...I would rather keep as much of my body heat in my body. The whole point of insulation is to keep as much heat in you as possible, not to have something else (insulation) to warm.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    There are some hi-zoot gear makers, expedition outfitter types, who mix films like this on the same surface. Example: A waterproof foot to a sleeping bag, because the foot end is more likely to get wet, not so different than a rubberized (and stronger) bottom for a soft backpack.

So, rather than worry the limited permeability of this, why not a quilt being sewn with two fabrics on the same surface? Leighlo, perhaps under the influence of one of the members of her company's board of directors, <smile> used to make quilts with both synthetic fill and down. (Synth on the sides?) Rab may have made down camping quilts with foot-boxes in less-shifty, less compressible synthetic.

Maybe, in this case, the center of a quilt, above or below the body would be of Thermoflect over down, and the sides would be synthetic fill / Climashield, enclosed in quite-breathable nylon. Water vapor would be kept out of the down, migrating through the synthetic-fill sides, but the whole would not feel clammy.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Please leave this group buy thread for the transaction only.

If you want to discuss the properties of the material, or uses, start another thread in the appropriate forum.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu &amp; RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Man it's all fun and games till an angry sparrow shows up; huh!

Ok, For those involved...

Had a small delay getting money from my paypal account to my bank account. But the order has been placed and will be on it's way shortly. Pending any other unexpected delays I believe everyone will have their blankets well before the end of the month.

Please, everyone, check the spreadsheet again. Some of you haven't paid yet, some of you have paid but haven't told me who you are.

Otherwise all is going well, I'll keep you informed.

-A.A.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Aaron-
    I PMed you and Paid you and gave you my proper shipping address on Feb 3rd (see post in this thread).
    why does it say N in my column??
    (my shipping address is different because I am on the East Coast heading towards my thru hike)
    Please pm me and confirm.
    Last edited by Dos; 02-06-2012 at 22:08.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    If you end up with any extra, I'd be interested in 3.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk single
    Tarp
    Hay cover
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just found out about this and am sorry to have missed the buy. If any wind up homeless I'd be glad to have up to 3, and if there is a list started for a future buy I'd like to add my name.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast